Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Delayed reaction of 16 days or more bed bugs???

(20 posts)
  1. bedbugannoyed

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 5 2019 1:28:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone’s doing well. Here’s my story: My roommate had noticed bed bugs a few weeks ago - after she noticed this, she basically hired someone to do some very basic DIY exterminations for her room, my room, and one of our other roommate’s rooms. For whatever reason, this very basic extermination cleared up her bed bug problem in her room and, even though I hadn’t noticed any bites or bugs at that point, a week later I started getting bites too.

I hired an exterminator and he did a chemical exterminator of the whole house. At this point, I had already washed and dried all of my clothes extensively. It’s been two weeks (16 days to be exact) since the extermination, and I just noticed two new bites on my leg. Even though it’s been two weeks, I’ve only been living in the house this past week as I was staying at my parents’ house the week before.

My question is: Could this be a delayed reaction or is it more likely that it’s bed bugs again? I’m just incredibly confused because there is practically NOTHING in my room at this point: just my bed, my dresser, a chair, and a couple pieces of fabric here and there (all of which has been thoroughly examined). I don’t even have many clothes in my room, either, so I have no idea where the hell they’d be hiding.

Before the extermination, my room was severely cluttered, so the bed bugs had multiple places to hide even though we couldn’t find them anywhere. Now, however, I’m more confused as to what’s going on: is a 16 day delayed reaction likely or not??? Thank you everyone.

2. bedbugannoyed

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 5 2019 1:52:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I should add that, even from the beginning, my bites were definitely delayed. I never noticed them after I woke up; rather, they would start itching and appearing at random points in my day. Therefore, there’s no way to tell when exactly I was getting the bites, just that I was getting them at some point.

3. SalsaVince

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 5 2019 19:12:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi annoyed,
    16 days seems like a long time for a delayed reaction. Even after one treatment, you could still have new bites. Especially considering that you weren't sleeping in your room after the treatment until recently. If no one is in bed attracting the bed bugs out, they will not be motivated to walk across the surfaces that have been treated and therefore not be killed. So now, they might be coming out and just getting exposed to the residual spray. They could still get a bite in before falling victim to the spray. You also could have newly hatched nymphs (babies) that are starting to feed. They hopefully will also die from the spray eventually but sometimes, it requires 2 or 3 or more treatments a couple of weeks apart to finish them off. Regarding where they can hide, sometimes, it can be difficult to find them but most often they are on or very near to your bed. You might even have to take your bed apart and look in the joints, screw holes, etc. to see them. It's easier to spot their fecal marks than the actual bugs so learn how to identify those. Be sure to let the exterminator (PCO) know that you are still experiencing bites if you get any more.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 5 2019 21:45:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I did have one woman who reacted 19 days after the bite. I gave her a bed bug and she put it on herself to have it feed. We did it together so I know it was an actual feeding.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. bedbugannoyed

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Mar 7 2019 0:14:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your advice! I guess the most confusing part is where the bed bugs are coming from because, like I said, there’s not much in terms of hiding spots left for them in my room at this point.

@SalsaVince Your comment about the bugs being somewhere within the bed itself has been my suspicion for a while. My bed has a hollow metal bed frame with holes that I believe bugs can easily come in and out of. It’s also practically the only place we haven’t checked...I’m at my parents’ house for break right now, but on Sunday when I go back, my dad and I are planning on taking the bed apart somewhere safe and investigating. Regardless, I want to get rid of the bed at this point as I think it’s the culprit for the hiding spot. Also, I guess it makes sense if the exterminator couldn’t find the bugs if the only place they were was literally in my bed frame...

I guess my fear at this point is the possibility that the bugs aren’t in the bed and are elsewhere in my room (which God knows, I have absolutely NO IDEA where else they could be possibly be hiding in that tiny, sparse space). The risk of spreading bed bugs around to other people is scaring me, but I’m really holding on to hope that the bugs are in my bed and that’s that (it’s also a fairly light infestation, I believe, and no one else in my house has them, so I don’t really think they’re hiding in other places).

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Mar 7 2019 1:31:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You don’t need to worry about spreading to others if you can’t find them in your room.

People who spread bedbugs aka Bedbug Mary’s all have infestations which are not hard to detect.

I am hesitant to suggest bedbugs based on delayed reactions but it’s feasible that they have been dispersed by the treatment although they will always relocate close to a new source of food in this type of scenario so i would suggest monitoring the bed and keeping an open mind.

I have seen too many cases of stress induced responses not to discount that and on a few occasions and on a few occasions I have used NLP and suggestions to induce such skin reactions in people to illustrate that point.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  7. SalsaVince

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Mar 7 2019 9:20:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Another area you should check if you haven't yet, is the living room furniture such as recliners and couches near the skirting and arm rests. If you haven't actually seen a bug in your room yet though, I wouldn't turn the place upside down looking for them. If there is only one or two and you've had treatment, they should die soon. If the bites continue for a week or 2, then, a deeper look may be in order.

8. bedbugannoyed

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Mar 7 2019 12:47:52
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 3 hours ago  » 
    Another area you should check if you haven't yet, is the living room furniture such as recliners and couches near the skirting and arm rests. If you haven't actually seen a bug in your room yet though, I wouldn't turn the place upside down looking for them. If there is only one or two and you've had treatment, they should die soon. If the bites continue for a week or 2, then, a deeper look may be in order.

We actually don’t have a living room or any living room furniture! We’re all just a bunch of college students, which is why we don’t have that...that would be an area of concern, though, if we did have that!

9. bedbugannoyed

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Mar 7 2019 12:54:20
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 11 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    You don’t need to worry about spreading to others if you can’t find them in your room.
    People who spread bedbugs aka Bedbug Mary’s all have infestations which are not hard to detect.
    I am hesitant to suggest bedbugs based on delayed reactions but it’s feasible that they have been dispersed by the treatment although they will always relocate close to a new source of food in this type of scenario so i would suggest monitoring the bed and keeping an open mind.
    I have seen too many cases of stress induced responses not to discount that and on a few occasions and on a few occasions I have used NLP and suggestions to induce such skin reactions in people to illustrate that point.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

That’s very reassuring about the spread of bed bugs! I also find spreading them to be very unlikely because I do very thorough searches of my belongings, and I can never spot anything (not even blood spots or fecal matter).

And yes, over the next few weeks, I’m just going to aim to be aware and alert of things changing...Hopefully,, this will all get under control soon!

10. bedbugannoyed

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 11:14:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

So when I went back to my house a couple days ago, I noticed a dead bed bug stuck to the wall. This is the first bug I’ve seen, alive or dead, and this was a couple days after we had already gotten rid of my mattress and bed/bed frame. Then, when I slept in my room for the first time in a week, I woke up with a bite Though this bite looks different than all of my other bites, it more closely resembles when I get mosquito bites (it’s all white and raised)...Either way, I’m not sure what to do at this point...We have checked every other piece of furniture I own, there is nothing hanging on the walls that we haven’t checked, we’ve shine lights into many of the cracks and outlets, so I truly am completely lost as to where the bugs are coming from. I guess we could remove the outlets and do a much deeper look through the cracks in the walls and floorboards (though those cracks aren’t ginormous, so I don’t know how likely it is that they’re in there)...

11. SalsaVince

Posted 5 days ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 13:48:31
    #

Login to Send PM

The fact that the bed bug was dead is a good sign indicating your treatment is working. However, what concerns me is that you said you've gotten rid of your bed now. I assume the bed and mattress were treated and when bugs would have walked across it while you were sleeping, it would eventually kill them. But now what are you sleeping on? A new bed or air mattress? If that's the case, you no longer have any residual treatment on it so the bugs will be able to setup shop in a new clean and safe environment for them. It would have been better to keep the treated bed until you were done with this. Now, you might have to get the new bed treated in some way.

12. bedbugannoyed

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 15:11:39
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 1 hour ago  » 
    The fact that the bed bug was dead is a good sign indicating your treatment is working. However, what concerns me is that you said you've gotten rid of your bed now. I assume the bed and mattress were treated and when bugs would have walked across it while you were sleeping, it would eventually kill them. But now what are you sleeping on? A new bed or air mattress? If that's the case, you no longer have any residual treatment on it so the bugs will be able to setup shop in a new clean and safe environment for them. It would have been better to keep the treated bed until you were done with this. Now, you might have to get the new bed treated in some way.

Oh, I didn’t even think about that...The reason why I got rid of the bed was because we assumed the bed bugs were inside of it and that the inside of the bed frame was not treated...So instead of figuring out a way to treat the inside of the bed frame, we just got rid of the whole thing. But now that I’m still getting bites, and I saw that dead bed bug, I’m worried that the bed bugs were somewhere else in my room entirely (though where else they would’ve been hiding, I am completely clueless as, like I said, it’s a small room that me and the exterminator have thoroughly checked for bugs yet couldn’t find any)...

I’m sleeping on an air mattress on the floor now which I think would make it pretty easy to check for bugs if they did end up on it...It’s just a frustrating situation.

13. bedbugannoyed

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Thu Mar 14 2019 2:06:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay everyone, it’s super late where I am, but i just have to update...

I was just sitting on my air mattress at around 2:00 am when all of a sudden, I saw a LIVE bed bug crawling up my arm!!! I managed to catch it and store it (along with the dead bed bug I found a few days before) into a plastic bag for the exterminator when they come tomorrow. This past hour, I’ve tried yet again to find where these damn bugs are hiding to no avail!!!!

I’m just at a loss...Everyone says bed bugs hide in and around the sleeping area, but there’s nothing at all on my air mattress nor on my sheets, the only other things around me is a chair I never sit on (which I’ve also checked), my plastic, see-through nightstand which I’ve also checked, and a dresser which I’ve checked. I got the point where I was sticking credit cards into the backs of outlets and in between the floorboards to find where the hell theyre coming from!!!!

Could they be in the walls or floorboards??? I just don’t know because I can’t find them anywhere ourselves, and I’m afraid the exterminator won’t be able to find anything again 😭

14. SalsaVince

Posted 4 days ago
    Thu Mar 14 2019 7:35:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Finding their home is very satisfying because you know you are hitting them where it hurts and wiping out a chunk of them all at once and future generations. However, it's not necessary to find every bed bug to win the battle. That's what the residual treatments and dusts are for. Even when we're asleep and not on the look out for them, they are killing bugs for us till eventually, there's not enough left to sustain a population. So do what you can to reduce clutter around your sleeping area and eliminate hiding spots but after that, trust the professional and be patient. Keep busy with positive things and keep living your life and before you know it, you'll start forgetting about bed bugs and have trouble remembering the last time you got bit or saw one. It's a slow process but you'll get there.

15. bedbugannoyed

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 7:56:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello! I have more updates for anyone who’s interested...In the past 2 nights, I have caught and killed up to 10 bed bugs...I found one crawling up my arm, another struggling in my hair (???) Besides those 2, I found the rest on the wall next to my bed, in the cracks of the wall, one on the blinds, and 2 crawling on my bed. I found most of them late at night when I was still awake with the lights on but sitting pretty still. I also just found one this morning right when I woke up around 8:30 crawling on my bed...Anyways, I’ve capoured and killed all of them (obviously is no solution to my problem, but it’s something). But, again, this all leads me to think that the bugs are hiding somewhere within the walls/cracks in the walls...They may even be in different parts of the wall, which could explain how one ended up on blinds away from the wall the rest of the bugs were on...

16. SalsaVince

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 10:31:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you still getting a treatment today as you mentioned? Sounds like it is much needed. What size are the bugs. Are they all smaller younger nymphs meaning that they are recently hatched or are they adults which could indicate the they are coming from somewhere other than your treated apartment. There are several pictures online to use as reference or you could post a picture of one before you kill it.

17. bedbugannoyed

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 11:14:19
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 39 minutes ago  » 
    Are you still getting a treatment today as you mentioned? Sounds like it is much needed. What size are the bugs. Are they all smaller younger nymphs meaning that they are recently hatched or are they adults which could indicate the they are coming from somewhere other than your treated apartment. There are several pictures online to use as reference or you could post a picture of one before you kill it.

I’m not getting a treatment today...my landlord is reluctant to pay for treatment again, but she’s sending someone in tomorrow to check for bed bugs (I’m planning on hanging the bugs I found up in plastic bags so they know for sure bugs are here, last time they couldn’t find any).

I’m pretty sure they’re adults, I’ll post pics to confirm. I found one nymph but that was it. And I don’t think they’re coming from anywhere but my house - I live in a house not an apartment which is why I think they’re infested in the walls or something.

18. bedbugannoyed

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 11:19:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I don’t know how to post pictures, but I’m almost certain they’re adults.

19. SalsaVince

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 14:32:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Aside from determining where they are living, another good question is why isn't the first treatment killing them? I suspect that's partly because they treated your old bed and mattress and you ditched those so hopefully, if you get another treatment with your new sleeping arrangement, things will improve. Do you know if they sprayed the baseboards and walls last time? The more information you can give them on where you found them, the more effective the treatment will be.

20. bedbugannoyed

newbite

Posted 4 hours ago
    Mon Mar 18 2019 10:45:29
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 2 days ago  » 
    Aside from determining where they are living, another good question is why isn't the first treatment killing them? I suspect that's partly because they treated your old bed and mattress and you ditched those so hopefully, if you get another treatment with your new sleeping arrangement, things will improve. Do you know if they sprayed the baseboards and walls last time? The more information you can give them on where you found them, the more effective the treatment will be.

I mean, I’m not sure why they didn’t die the first time around (if anything, the infestation seems worse). I was told they sprayed everywhere the first time around, but I was still getting bit afterwards and my landlord didn’t want to pay for another treatment, so I followed her advice and threw out my mattress. We also were supposed to do a 3-part treatment, but my landlord didn’t want to pay for further treatments, so we only got a 1-part chemical treatment.

We had another exterminator come in a few days ago, and I showed him the 10 bed bugs I caught mainly all on the walls and cracks along the walls, and he said the bugs are almost definitely in the baseboards. My question is: why??? Why would bed bugs be IN the baseboards instead of on my mattress and bed?? Or on the surrounding stuff, like my nightstand, etc.?? I’m almost certain they weren’t on my bed and mattress before I threw them out because me, my family, and our last exterminator looked through them and none of us could find anything (not even fecal matter or blood drops). Unless they were inside my bed frame, but in that case, the infestation should’ve surely decreased once I got rid of that.....

One other important note: the tenants who lived in my house last year had bed bugs too and they apparently got an exterminator, but is it possible that the bed bugs we have now are the same ones from last year? I’ve been living in this house since August, though, and we didn’t notice any bed bugs until February. However, we had mice for a good chunk of this time, and we started noticing bed bugs around a month or so after we got rid of all the mice, and I’ve heard that sometimes bed bugs will feed on mice, so maybe the bed bugs transferred from the mice to us once the mice all disappeared/died off (especially since both the bed bugs and the mice were hiding in the wall).

My landlord also denies that the tenants last year had bed bugs which makes me think she has something to hide.....If anyone has any insight on any of this, please let me know!

Edit: I don’t even live in an apartment complex so that bed bugs can travel from unit to unit through the walls that way!! I live in a house...On the third story and no one else in my unit is getting bites.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,253 posts in 47,652 topics over 147 months by 21,005 of 21,326 members. Latest: scaredincanada, BleuRoses, mab1017