Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Delayed Bites or did I take them home?

(20 posts)
  1. Sosickofbugsew

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2016 13:46:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Stayed at a hotel in CA from Wednesday-Sunday. The rest of my party was already in an asleep when I got to the hotel but said they didn't see anything that would suspect bed bugs. Noticed a bug bit early Sunday morning around 2 am. Checked the bed and found an adult bed bug and a nymph. Woke up the other guests, called the front desk, and moved rooms. When I got home I left everything on the porch and separated into zip lock bags. I checked my clothing in the bathtub, found nothing, dried them, and resealed them out on the porch. No shoes were taken inside and the clothes I was wearing during this inspection were also dried, sealed and placed outside.

Throughout the day Sunday I found more and more bite reaction sites. Woke up yesterday to more bites. Notice even more throughout the day. Checked my sheets, mattress, box spring, and frame, did not find anything. Put interceptors under the feet of the bed. Woke up this morning to 4 more bites. Two bites are under where my watch was (didn't wear my watch to bed in the hotel) which is leading me to believe I am having delayed reactions to the bites.

I have read of people having delayed reactions for up to 21 days after being bitten, that is the only thing helping me stay sane at the moment. I find it weird that I had no reaction the first 3 nights but on the fourth, I have at least 20...now up to 35 bites after 2 days out f the room. Could these be delayed bites from the weekend that keep popping up or is it possible I somehow brought them inside without noticing?

2. FreakedoutinFL

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2016 15:06:05
    #

Login to Send PM

When my family was exposed in a hotel room it took 7-10 days for all bites to appear. Took similar precautions that you did. Dried everything on high heat for at least 30 mins and good inspection of items that couldn't be placed in the dryer. I was paranoid for months about bringing them home. Did weekly inspections and got passive monitors which provided peace of mind. It took some time for me to believe but I am happy to report that we did not bring any with us.

Stay vigilant about doing checks but sounds like you took good precautions. Hang in there.

3. Sosickofbugsew

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2016 15:10:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Your story gives me hope! can I ask what type of passive monitors you got?

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2016 15:14:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Were the bugs confirmed in the hotel room? Did you take pictures of the bugs? If you did please post a picture.

Doesn't sound like you would have introduced them into the house based on what you mentioned. I wound't have wasted time searching cloths ... Not sure you would find them even if they were in there. Better to always just put them in a dryer and use the highest heat setting for 30 minutes.

Moving forward - nobody can tell you what's going on with the "bites". Reaction delay, stress, or any number of things could be the problem. If it continues - get a professional inspection. I would find it hard to believe that its bed bugs right now ... You would have had to take a boat load home and that doesn't sound right to me.

5. FreakedoutinFL

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2016 15:22:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought the pack tite passive monitors found on this website. They have provided peace of mind even now long after exposure. I check them monthly now. When we travel, I check them weekly for a few weeks. Hope that helps.

6. Sosickofbugsew

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 1 2016 15:38:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, the hotel confirmed it yesterday. Here are links to the few pictures taken, again, it was 2:30 in the morning and I was panicked. The squished but was the adult. The other guests never looks at the box spring which could have saved us this whole mess of worry.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/144656116@N08/shares/q5F224

7. Sosickofbugsew

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 3 2016 12:03:24
    #

Login to Send PM

After a day of no new bites appearing, I found 3 more this morning. Still terrified.

8. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 4 2016 11:16:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I am no expert but bites appear at different rates i.e. not all at the same time on different parts of the body. Hoping you are ok. Perhaps make a note of where all the bites are so you can more easily monitor for new bites

9. Sosickofbugsew

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 4 2016 11:49:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Another new 3 today again. I have been keeping notes of where they are. These are on my arms and hand where I already had other bites. Is it possible for them to show up on the same part of the body at different times?

I was sleeping in a shirt and pants during the trip and at home I sleep in just bottoms. I have not had any appear on my chest or back even thought they have not been covered while being at home.

Still checking the sheets, mattress, box spring daily and have not found anything yet.

I just wish this nightmare would end. It has been giving me stress all week.

10. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 4 2016 23:59:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to say, I found a baby on my child once. Smashed it out of instinct, and my childs blood went everywhere. I cried, I hugged him, I cleaned him, and he looked at me like I was bonkers. Not a prick or mark or bump to be found. I checked him for dddaaaaaaaayyyyyyyys. Really. I knew he reacted but couldn't figure it out. Then several days later, voila. A bump. Smack where the nymph was feeding. It really can take ages and days or a week or however long it takes for the bumps to appear. Don't stress (hahahahahaha, I know, but really, don't) over each new bump. Sounds like you are doing what you need to do!

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  11. scarednsad

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 10:10:21
    #

Login to Send PM

it has been 2 weeks since I was first exposed. Sunday of this week I took some of the clothes that were dried and sealed when I got home out of their bags. I rechecked the clothing again, washed, and dried it. I woke up this morning with 4 bites on my feet/ankles. I am so scared I somehow over looked them and now introduced them into my home. I checked the sheets, mattress, and boxspring today. No signs of bugs or fecal matter but I am again FREAKING OUT.

12. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 10:55:48
    #

Login to Send PM

While not impossible, from my experience, the feet and ankles were not their first choice to bite, the arms, exposed area near head where they were attracted to the carbon dixoide from breathing was their first choice. Now fleas would be a prime target for feet and ankles. You have any fabric bath mats, or carpeting in your bathroom? Have any pets, or been around any friends pets?

13. scarednsad

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 14:47:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I do have bath mats in my bathroom. I have a cat and a dog and was also at a friend's home who has 2 dogs on Sunday.

14. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 18:58:26
    #

Login to Send PM

If you haven't seen an visual indication of BBs, fecal stains, shed skin, or live bugs, nymphs ( which if you do, post a new thread on the forums for positive ID from the experts ) I would in my opinion, first tackle this as a possible flea infestation. Make sure your pets are groomed and treated (not flea collar). Water, moisture with heat makes fleas go crazy biting your pets or you.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 20:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

scarednsad - 10 hours ago  » 
    it has been 2 weeks since I was first exposed. Sunday of this week I took some of the clothes that were dried and sealed when I got home out of their bags. I rechecked the clothing again, washed, and dried it. I woke up this morning with 4 bites on my feet/ankles. I am so scared I somehow over looked them and now introduced them into my home. I checked the sheets, mattress, and boxspring today. No signs of bugs or fecal matter but I am again FREAKING OUT.

scarednsad,
    This seems to be about your own situation rather than the OP's, so please start a new thread for feedback. Please see the forum rules section on "Hijacking Threads" for more explanation: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/forum-rules-please-read

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 20:46:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Sosickofbugsew - 1 week ago  » 
    Another new 3 today again. I have been keeping notes of where they are. These are on my arms and hand where I already had other bites. Is it possible for them to show up on the same part of the body at different times?
    I was sleeping in a shirt and pants during the trip and at home I sleep in just bottoms. I have not had any appear on my chest or back even thought they have not been covered while being at home.
    Still checking the sheets, mattress, box spring daily and have not found anything yet.
    I just wish this nightmare would end. It has been giving me stress all week.

Sosickofbugsew,

So if I am reading this right, you last mentioned bites appearing the Friday after your trip -- 9 days after you arrived at the hotel and five days after you left.

Is that right?

Anything since?

17. Sosickofbugsew

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2016 16:40:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought I was in the clear but I have found 3 new bites this week. This past Saturday. I did take some stuff out (charger, souvenirs, etc.) and rechecked them, found nothing. I am afraid I might have not seen something and introduced them into my home. I have searched my bed and couch and found nothing. I was outside Sunday at a friends house who did have a fly problem outside but I I noticed these bites 2 days after being at their house.

18. Sosickofbugsew

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2016 17:00:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I am going crazy. My mom thinks it is all in my head that I am under stress with work and this so I just manifested these bites but I still think I somehow let one slip in.

19. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2016 18:57:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Just thinking of a process of elimination here. You sleep bare except for pants, and only bitten on feet and ankles, correct? Can you recall the days you have been bitten, refresh my memory or clarify, the bites only appears in the morning? What shoes/slippers you are wearing? Have you tried wearing socks to bed?

20. Sosickofbugsew

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2016 21:21:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Tore my room apart...again. Still couldn't find anything. Found another 5 bites this evening.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,693 posts in 50,017 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur