Defeated them now SERIOUS ANXIETY over upcoming hotel stay MEMPHIS

(5 posts)
  1. shadowlynx666

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 24 2014 21:47:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I was a very active member about 3 years ago when a friend brought bugs into our apartment. It took buying our own home and throughly cleaning/throwing things away to beat them after so much time effort and money spent I thought I was going to lose my mind. Now we are planning a trip to Tennessee to see my family in October and wanting to spend the night in Memphis/possibly west Memphis. I'm so excited about the trip I can barely contain myself but the anxiety over finding a hotel is KILLING me. I'm trying balance price, safety, location, and not ending up with a bug filled room. No matter where we stay going to check for evidence and probably keep our stuff in the bathroom but I'm afraid I'll lose it if we get there and spot them especially since we have a one year old son now. I've looked at some of the reports online but you don't know what is true or just a disgruntled traveler...some posts are years old and the problem might have long since cleared up or just not have been reported. I have no idea what to do!!!!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 24 2014 22:39:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's what I do:
    1. Read reviews on Tripadvisor and glance at Bedbugregistry.com.

A bed bug report does not mean you have a bad hotel. Bed bugs can come in any time.

No bed bug reports does not mean it's a better hotel, it just may mean nothing has been reported to this service.

Bad signs include: lots of bed bug reports AND reports of how the management responded poorly when bed bugs were brought to their attention.

Good signs include: few or no bed bug reports, and where reports exist, positive comments about management's response (moving same customers to non-infested room, treating their belongings, etc.).

2. Inspect room thoroughly on check in (with luggage in bathtub). Don't sit or hang out in room until this is done. When I say "thorough", I do a bit less than is shown in David's video (see our Travel FAQs), but spend a good five minutes. I don't, for example, remove the headboard (last time I did this, it wouldn't go back up!) If you have other rooms in your party, offer to teach them to inspect for bed bugs. Friends have thought this was a weird idea but they've also let me do it and seemed interested in it and glad it was done.

In inspection, my goal is not to be confident the room is completely clear of bed bugs (impossible for me). My goal is, rather, to be pretty sure there isn't a problem in the room, and if there is one, it's very small. This means my stay will be more comfortable and also I have less chance of taking them home. If bed bugs are found, ask for a room which does not have a problem.

3. Take precautions in the room per the Travel FAQs and upon going home (Packtite, dryer, or other treatment of items brought home, etc.). Think like a bed bug and use common sense: don't keep your purse or bag on the bed, try to minimize gadget use in bed/keep electronics ideally far from the bed (on table) and maybe sealed in ziploc to minimize risk.

Link to the Travel FAQs.

Bottom line: lots of areas of life can potentially be a little more unnerving to those of us who've had bed bugs: buying a new bed, moving, travel, etc.

Acknowledge there's a good reason you feel this way (bad experiences in the past and heightened anxiety), but also understand that you can travel safely and enjoy yourself. As someone who has done that post-bed bugs, I am glad I got through the nervousness. It's easier each time and while I am never going to run into a hotel room, jump right on the bed with my purse again, I wouldn't want to give up seeing the world.

Are you going to stop at Graceland?!?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. shadowlynx666

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 24 2014 23:47:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know exactly what we are going to go see and do. I live outside Tulsa now but am originally from far east Tennessee it's a 12 hour drive we plan to leave early in the morning so when we get there it should be around 2 or 3 ish so hoping to at least explore Beale street take in a few sights I need to do some research leave for the rest of our drive in the morning and will probably do the same thing coming back.

4. shadowlynx666

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 24 2014 23:52:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm just so terrified of encountering them again it had put me to mental breaking point before and I don't know what we would have done if we hadn't moved and now with our son it terrifies me as well as my husband. I was looking at the Knights inn in west Memphis cheaper cuz it isn't in Memphis proper but their trip advisor reviews mention bed bugs in July I know if he sees that he'll probably bot even consider it and the other two I'd looked at a best Western and a holiday Inn express both show up on the registry

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 25 2014 10:53:42
    #

Login to Send PM

shadowlynx666 - 10 hours ago  » 
    I'm just so terrified of encountering them again it had put me to mental breaking point before and I don't know what we would have done if we hadn't moved and now with our son it terrifies me as well as my husband.

I can understand your fears, but you have the ability now to avoid a potentially terrifying experience in the hotel and to minimize the chance of picking up bed bugs and bringing them home. Please read my post above again.

I was looking at the Knights inn in west Memphis cheaper cuz it isn't in Memphis proper but their trip advisor reviews mention bed bugs in July I know if he sees that he'll probably bot even consider it and the other two I'd looked at a best Western and a holiday Inn express both show up on the registry

Try to read the reviews critically. If they are recent or there is more than one bed bug report, this is more of a concern.

I am looking at this Holiday Inn Express in Memphis which seems to have no bed bug reports on the Bed Bug Registry. It also doesn't have any -- at least going back to 2012 from what I can see -- on Tripadvisor.

If I did see a bed bug report, I would look for the management response. (And it's clear from reading responses to other reviews that this hotel is responsive on Tripadvisor). That's a good sign and I've seen it in a Best Western in another city I've traveled to recently. Management clearly cares what the public thinks of their hotel and this suggests they may be equally concerned when problems like bed bugs are brought to their attention outside of the internet reviews.

This is not to say you should stay at THIS hotel or that it would never have bed bugs in a room. Any hotel can have bed bugs. You kind of have to accept that if you leave your home or anyone enters your home, ever, it's possible that one day you might get bed bugs again.

But the good news is that now, knowing more than you did about bed bugs when you first got them, you can use bed bug monitors to catch the problem quickly and treat it fast, which is much easier.

You can search hotel rooms to minimize the risk of encountering them in another place, and take steps when you get home to minimize the risk of hitchhikers coming home.

That's about all you can do, but it is, in fact, a lot.

You do need to accept that there are some risks involved when you wake up each day whether you leave home or not, and to put it in perspective, much worse things can happen than bed bugs. I know it doesn't feel that way right now.

If fear of bed bugs is keeping your family from enjoying life, therapy is worth considering, and has helped others here. Talking to a therapist even once or twice might make a big difference to your outlook.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081