Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Deedle .. Was law school worth all this?

(6 posts)
  1. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 1:01:51
    #

Login to Send PM

2. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 1:04:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, Deedle, you could have continued painting and gotten a sweet loft in Brooklyn, somewhere like prospect heights or bushwick and... oh wait. NM.

3. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 13:13:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi KQ...
    Hi Bushbugg

Well..ummm..yeah..i'd have to say that law school was worth it. 'Cause i did the whole living in a loft in Greenpoint brooklyn...right on the water...99 commercial street! lots of windows, 3,500 square feet of open space, wonderful place to paint and make art...except....creepy landlords who refused to install hot water heater and so living with no hot water and constant needed repairs to toilet made the experience truly trying. I think i wrote somewhere on the forums some time ago that it was just that experience that led me into court to battle those horrible landlords and which introduced me to
    "the law" and where i met encouraging judges and even opposing counsel who told me that i had the "right stuff" without a doubt....paint on the side...go to law school...eat regularly...have regular electric service, hot water, etc. I took the suggestion and i must say...apart from bbs, life doesn't suck.

What you hear about the life of the starving artist is the truth. Even though i had exhibits, even one person shows and was encouraged and supported by Romare Bearden and some other really notable artists, it is a very very hard life! You don't eat regularly (i'm still making up for that, unfortunately), no health care insurance, it sucks...i wouldn't wish it on anyone...lots of depression, lots of highs and hopeful moments, then disappointments and darkness. Nope....no thanks (although New Mexico does sound nice).

At least this way i can get out of the habit of dwelling on my own situation, my own needs and my own wants all day and night and turn my attention tot he needs of others...and actually help them. And apparently i'm supposed to be doing it because i'm really darn good at it. And at the same time i have enough space, money for supplies and time to actually do my art. So it works out after all....whoda' thunk?

As for the DA offices. Thank goodness i rarely go to the Bronx criminal court or the Brooklyn criminal court...sometimes, but not often. When in the Bronx it's mostly supreme court...same for brooklyn. I can get in and out of there pretty fast...

On State criminal matters you're more likely to find me in Queens criminal court and even though i thoroughly expect to hear about bbs there any minute, i'm always early and so are my clients...we're first on the sign in sheet so we're first to be called...we're in and out in no time. Usually get to court by 8:55am, judge takes bench around 9:30 and am heading back to pick up my car from the lot by 9:35. All my negotiating with ADAs is done between appearances by phone and letter and email. i've got it down to a science....

thanks for the concern

4. mangycur

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 20:04:36
    #

Login to Send PM

that's great that you actually have time to do your art. I don't often hear that from artists with "jobs".

5. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 20:17:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Mangy...

of course it helps that i work for myself and that i work from home. When i had my law office outside the home i did not have much time for Art...

And i keep the law practice as small as i can and mostly take cases that don't require me to spend a lot of time in court, on the road, etc. I could make a lot more money than i do but i refer out a bunch of cases because if i took them all i wouldn't have time for Art (or my husband who requires that there is a bright line between work hours and non work hours since i work from home).

6. mangycur

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 20:30:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Nicely done!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,826 posts in 49,816 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316