Debating heat treatment

(7 posts)
  1. Kbwj

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Tue Jul 24 2018 9:03:41
    #

Login to Send PM

We’ve had several sprays and kept finding the occasional bug. We haven’t seen much activity after the last spray but are still considering doing a heat treatment, just in case, to make sure we move past this once and for all. We’ve been dealing with B.B. for about 8 months now.

Anyone with experience with heat treatments - did it work for you or not? Any risk about damage to the structure (a historic single family home.).

2. Bug Buffet

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Tue Jul 24 2018 10:12:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!

I had heat treatment done in mid-March of this year. I think it worked very nicely. Damage was minimal (minor: some window blinds warped and bent some; major: an entryway door no longer locks, but the security/storm door does, so not so much of a worry. Besides, I'm getting home improvements done so I'll just get a new door).

Start by reading some past heat treatment stories here (just enter "heat treatment" or some variation in the search box).

Get a professional - heat treatments are NOT a safe DIY project!

Do LOTS of research on extermination companies online. Ask questions, get quotes. Make sure the companies do an integrative pest management approach - heat followed by chemicals and/or dusts that will continue to kill any possible stragglers over the succeedng weeks/months. Ask about length of warranty; the longer, the better.

Best of success! Let us know what you decide and how it goes!

3. Bugsareicky

Posted 11 months ago
    Tue Jul 24 2018 13:32:51
    #

Login to Send PM

In your situation, I would not pay for heat treatment. Heat treatment alone rarely works. Heat combined with chemical treatments is pretty effective. The heat will kill a LOT of the bugs, and the chemicals finish up the job. Many homes, especially old ones, have "cool spots" making it easy for some bugs to avoid the heat and survive the treatment. That's where the chemicals come in to finish up the job. If you're not seeing much activity, and have already been getting chemical treatments, I'd just stick with that. The cost for heat treatment at this stage in the game just isn't worth it in my opinion. Spraying as needed would be a LOT cheaper, and likely more effective too. I think heat treatment can be a HUGE help if the infestation is very severe. It wipes out a large part of the population all at once, and then you're fighting a much smaller battle with the chemicals. In a situation where there isn't a TON of bugs...it's just not worth it.

4. Kbwj

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Tue Jul 24 2018 16:12:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess my concern (or paranoia) is that with light activity, it only takes one bug to hitchhike elsewhere in the house until it becomes a bigger problem. Right now they are isolated in one room. Since the chemicals haven’t been 100% effective I was under the impression of the reverse that heat would kill any last survivors. That’s how the company described it to me, so maybe that is not the case? I figure cheaper to do one room now than have to do the whole house later. Am I overesrimarinf the heats effectiveness if we’re in an old house then?

We had a scare the other day that a bug moved into my sons bedroom but then we noticed the little blood on his crib was from a cut on his finger (likely.)

5. randombedbugun

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Fri Jul 27 2018 22:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

i'm no expert but i'm pretty sure trying to treat just one room whether heat or chemical is a bad idea. seems it would just chase them into a different part of your home.

6. Norman1wv

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Aug 1 2018 20:09:05
    #

Login to Send PM

There will always be cool spots. When a room or house is heated up to the killing temp, some if not a lot of the bugs will just run into the walls to escape the heat. If the infestation is severe, heat will work to kill enough of the bugs so that insecticides can be used to finish up. (as mentioned earlier). My bb problem wasn't too bad as it was contained to the bedroom only. If your house has bbs throughout, I feel for you. Heat treatment, seal off all cracks, then spray. Just my .02

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Thu Aug 2 2018 7:43:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Why are you answering as if you know? I've done plenty of heat treatments that worked without any issue.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW