Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Dear BB Diary, Day 4 post heat....

(6 posts)
  1. BedBugly

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Aug 18 2012 18:55:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi my lovely, lovely, loves! Been meaning to post sooner, but have been busy at work cleaning and putting my place back together, and finally catching up on some much needed sleep. Sleep finally came a bit easier after heat treatment Tuesday, though, I'm still so skeptical. But I think I was at the point of sleep deprovation that bedbugs or no, I had to close my eyes for a few days. I apologize now, this is going to be a doozey of a post......

So Tuesday was THEEE day, I hired Top Dog (not sure, am I allowed to say company names here?) here in LA after being ignored by other PCO's that just seemed too "busy" to return phone calls and emails. Top Dog specializes in heat/canine and only does bedbugs, no other pests. They are a little pricier than others, but you certainly (so far for me) get what you pay for. They were on time, inspected my furniture which was already tossed outside in plastic, were super descreet (no advertising on their trucks and were vague when neighbors inquired to what was going on), and were very understanding and friendly upon encountering a nutty and anxious me operating on 3 hours of slumber. They brought two dogs with them (Dean and Sinatra...LOVE Sinatra!) to sniff all boxes set outside with things that were not treatable (candles, makeup, pictures). They also brought baskets and hanging racks to loosen up drawers and closets to ensure maximization of treatment. They even answered my crazy texts the weekend prior to treatment when I was preping.

I live in an old 4 plex and just did my apartment as they (and other PCO's) assured me that the bugs were not likely make the exodus to the other apartments during treatment, but gave me a ton of monitors and traps for my neighbors at the end of treatment just in case. I decided to get some stuff done while treatment was going on (cats groomed, DMV, etc), during which my downstairs neighbor kept an eye on things for me. He said there was always at least one person here monitoring, even when the other guys went out to lunch, and they came in four times with the dogs to inspect during the heat. While I was out, they kept me updated with texts. My neighbor also said that surprisingly, his apartment got COOLER during treatment (we don't have central AC units, so everyone here kind of suffers through summers with small window units). Likely because heat rises and they were sucking up all the hot air to expose my upstairs unit to maximum heat. Funny. They went for 6 hours, when I returned, my place looked better than I had left it. Hotter than Jamaica or Hell, but that was fine by me! Took a nice cold shower.

They left me with traps for myself and all my neighbors to monitor any movement, DE'ed my room, and even left me with some tangerines... I offered them beer and hugs, they took the hugs. lol. They shall return in two weeks time with dogs to re-inspect. They have a 30 day warranty which makes me feel a bit better even though it's really not alot of time at all.

I'm not sure what I'm feeling now, it's a sense of relief, but also dread that I will find it did not work after paying a small fortune. I haven't been bitten by bed bugs yet... though funny enough that night, I was outside cleaning something and got bit by a friggen mosquito, bastard (yes, you can definitely tell the difference between bites, it twas a mosquito)! And I've only found a few dead BB's around. The only thing I've caught in the traps (first response monitors) is a silver fish. Now I am left with the aftermath of putting things back on shelves, tons of laundry (you actually don't need to do this with heat treatment, I'm just being extra careful), tossing stuff and becoming a bit more "Ikea" rather than "museum chic", etc.

I definitely feel much more "aware" of my surroundings now. I went to a clothing store during treatment just to kill time and wandered through the aisles and racks, and felt like I didn't want to touch anything or ever shop again. I wanted to get out of the hot sun (it was 105F that day) and just sit or sleep, then thought to myself, why not go watch a movie, then thought, "hell no, BB's are there!!". I wonder if anything normal like that will be enjoyable again? Then the other day, I hear an Orkin commercial on the radio at work about BB's, which I've never heard advertised before here in LA, strange. THEN I went to go have a beer with a friend I hadn't seen in over a year, and she was covered in bug bites. She thought it was mosquitos that had bit her at her bf's place, but I know better, mosquitos don't make such tracks all up and down your back like that, especially in a downtown LA loft, thank you very much. I almost went running for the hills. Are they really THAT out to get me?? Sheesh!

I've spent so much money on these little suckers between treatment, pre/post prevention stuff, laundry, bought the Zappbug, etc. Yes, I know, packtite is more recommended than zappbug, but I thought I'd give a 30 day go and see what happens, I wish packtite closet wasn't so... non-refundable and spendy, at least you can return the zappbug in 30 days if you don't like it. I'm sure the packtite is awesome, it has such rave reviews, but I'll be your guinea pig on the Zappbug, anyone else try it yet? I know David Cain is going to test it soon. Tried it for the first time last night, it got up to 140F in about an hour. Put my area rug inside of it. So far so good.

And lastly, excellent news, my boyfriend's apartment was just inspected with canines today, ALL CLEAR! woohooo! So there's that for hope. And which also makes me wonder how easily do BB's hitchhike and get around? I mean, I hung out there every single weekend for months and months probably while I had BB's and didn't even know yet. There has been mucho traffic between my place and many other friends' before I discovered my problem, and so far, I have heard no complaints, most of my friends now know of my problem, so it's not like they are keeping it from me out of shame.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on progress. Thanks for being here for me, bedbugger.com!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Aug 18 2012 19:41:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting our experience. Please update us as time goes on.

To answer your question-- it's fine to review a provider here as you did as long as you're a genuine paying customer, no connection to the company, declare any compensation or freebies, etc. It can help others find a good company to use.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. feelinghelplesswith3 babies

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Aug 18 2012 22:32:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you bed bulgy I didn't go for the heat treatment as you know but I did the chems 3 total and though it's fairly too soon to tell the every night bites are seemingly a thing of the past no bites on my boy for 9 days and the last sucker that bit me at 130 am was last Sunday and might I add he was starving and slow looked like a 2 or 3rd instar half dead. So with all that said I suppose I've progressed greatly. I'm happy you are getting in the swing of things. Thanks for sharing once I've done a whole 6 months of being bb free I will write a success story post.

4. BedBugly

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Aug 19 2012 3:40:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, FH3B, but I wouldn't call it a success story just yet. Maybe after a year and after I get new furniture and it stays BB free for a while, then it will be an official success.

5. Never gonna get bit again

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Aug 19 2012 11:27:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I, myself, am thinking of having a heat treatment in my 1600 sq ft house. I am quite interested in the results of your treatment. So far, I only have BBs in my couch, and have isolated my bed with margarine containers lined with Vaseline. I used propoxur and sprayed the hell out of my living room furniture and the perimeter of my living room and bedroom. I have a 50 lb bag of DE that I am in the process of distributing through my house. I have set a month and a half time limit on my own efforts, and if I am still getting bit, I will be getting a heat treatment. Please keep posting with your results and good luck

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Aug 19 2012 15:55:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugly,

I suspect you will be quite confident within a few months. Please do come back and update us when you are.

Never gonna get bit again - 4 hours ago  » 
    I, myself, am thinking of having a heat treatment in my 1600 sq ft house. I am quite interested in the results of your treatment. So far, I only have BBs in my couch, and have isolated my bed with margarine containers lined with Vaseline. I used propoxur and sprayed the hell out of my living room furniture and the perimeter of my living room and bedroom. I have a 50 lb bag of DE that I am in the process of distributing through my house. I have set a month and a half time limit on my own efforts, and if I am still getting bit, I will be getting a heat treatment. Please keep posting with your results and good luck

Never gonna get bit again,

I hesitate to comment at length because this thread is on another topic. I would encourage you to start a new thread to discuss your situation.

I would also strongly suggest getting advice from experts here if you must DIY (you can read the Comprehensive Guides in the Resources page, and private message Paul Bello who often seems to offer such advice, etc.) Paul Bello and David Cain also have books which may help you DIY.

However, you should definitely not be applying a 50 lb. bag of DE to your home (if you really meant the whole thing). Please do your research on DE before you start -- the FAQ on DE is a good start. Most people overapply or misapply DE and most aren't aware of necessary safety precautions.

Isolating beds in the manner you described may be counter productive.

I won't comment on your off label use of propoxur except to say please be careful.

If you want to discuss this further, please start a new thread and I will respond further there. Others may have suggestions or comments also.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,814 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen