oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 10 2013 23:24:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Folks,

The well known "Dear Abby" column posted the following:

http://ceus4me.com/?p=88

In case you missed the Dear Abby column, she has some great advice about friends with bedbugs.

Dear Abby: A friend who lives out of town asked me if she can stay with me for a few days. We often host each other. However, she also mentioned she has a bedbug infestation.

Some friends have said it was nervy of her to even ask because it put me in an awkward position. I honestly would prefer she not come, but I feel guilty. Any advice? — Possible Host in New York

Dear Possible Host: Yes. Tell your friend you would love to see her, but in light of her revelation, you think it would be better if she stays in a hotel during this visit. Entertain her away from your dwelling. Bedbugs can cling to everything — suitcases, clothing, you name it. Hostess, protect thyself.

What's problematic is that this column is characterized as "great advice" however, it's not !

While well intentioned folks such as Dear Abby and others who intend to help others would be better served to confine their comments, recommendations and advice to subject matter within the realm of their education, knowledge and experience rather than provide erroneous and otherwise misguided, short sighted advice such as this.

As each of you well informed Bed Buggers knows already, what "our friend" Abby advises essentially subjects yet another property location and additional people to bed bug exposure rather than provide suitable advice on how to successfully deal with a bed problem.

Considering the circulation of the Dear Abby column across the country, one wonders what damage the wide scale publication of this misinformation might eventually cause?

However, sound advice for Abby regarding this situation might simply be a New York style STFU where bed bugs are concerned because you don't know what your talking about !

Of course I could be wrong but, that's just me.

Have a nice day ! paul b.

2. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 11 2013 8:14:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, sadly we have a long way to go when it comes to educating the public about bed bugs. Thanks for posting this.

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 11 2013 21:43:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Yup, thanks !

4. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 11 2013 22:29:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Perhaps a well intentioned letter from some of the experts here along with an invitation to check out this website might be in order. She is just misinformed....as many of us were before we found this wonderful site!!!

s

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,194 posts in 50,136 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69