Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Dealing I changewith BedBugs for over a year...slowly going mad.

(5 posts)
  1. BedBuggedUp

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 26 2015 1:44:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Me and three roommates moved into this new apartment in NYC about a year ago. Never thought twice about it, everything seems on the up and up. A couple of months later, I find bedbugs in my room. The frame of my captain's bed is hella infested. My landlords are absentee and absolutely useless, and calling them to notify them of the situation is met with complete silence. My roommates couldn't afford to blast the whole place, so we just did my room desperately praying that it would work, that it was just my bed and get my room, we get everything. I launder everything, I vacuum everything, I bag and bin and seperate EVERYTHING. I live in the living room out of bins and bags for a month. Lo, my room has been made clean. But, now the couch I was sleeping on is infected. We throw it out; still no word from the landlords and no one with money to blast the whole place.

Then my far roommate's bed (two roommates live in the bedroom adjascent to mine as a couple, one has a room all the way at the end of the hall by the door; he's the infected one now) and he throws it out and buys a new one. That was over 6 months ago and he has yet to be reinfested. No landlords, no money, etc etc.

Then our other couch gets infested. It's gone and we get a new (clean) couch donated by a friend who is moving themselves. No landlords, no money.

Then my roommates adjacent to me get infested. They get hit, and hard. We find out that another resident is getting treated for bedbugs, but never find out who's paying for it.

It's to date been about a year living with these prolific, vampiric nightmares. Our new couch is completely infested. I lost my captain's bed to a reinfestation and now have a metal frame on Climbups (thus far, it is clean). I have my clothes and laundry strategically placed throughout the house so that i can walk into the bathroom, striip, and put on fresh clothes before even walking in my room. We spray constantly. I do no fewer than 7 loads of laundry a week. I feel constantly like my skin is crawling off my body. Every itch is a bedbug, every rash is a bedbug, every mole on my body since my birth is a bedbug, my clothes are made of bedbugs, my jump-scares in my nightmares are little red insects darting into my field of view. I think of the future, when I'll finally move out of this place and I'll launder everything and spray my bins with 91% isopropyl and vacuum them out before replacing my clothes and washing down my bed and my twice-wrapped mattress and packing everything neatly into a U-Haul to get baked for hours and I just end up crying myself to sleep. It's endless. To think of doing all that and maybe. just maybe, it ends up being for nothing in the future... I don't know what I'll do.

The thing it, it hasn't made me terrified of the outside world. I live in NYC. The subway has bedbugs. My old job had bedbugs. If God sees fit to strike my ass down with the 11th plague, he's just going to do it, constant vigilance be damned. What's killing me now is becoming the plague. I am the leper with the bell on my neck saying don't come near me. Our friends know our situation and are still willing to come over, but every time is a possible infection, a possible passing of a plague I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. The second to last time my partner was over, he left with no fewer than 20 bites all over his body and we got no sleep. The last time he was over, my new bed was free and clear, but I was so paranoid that 48 hours worth of cleaning and laundry and construction was for nothing and I got no sleep. No surface feels safe. I don't feel safe.

My landlords have finally recognized the situation (read: I wrote "BEDBUGS" on huge letters on my bed when I threw it out and left it for the world to see; and I guess someone important did) and are paying for an extermination of my apartment. My property manager let it slip that they're currently treating someone else in the building now as well. As far as we are concerned, it's building-wide. The company my landlords are willing to pay for are mediocre at best, useless at worst if their Yelp reviews are to be believed. We are expecting only for this treatment plus constant vigilance to maybe buy us some time until we can all save up to move out once our lease is up.

While these treatments are happening, aside from when I'll be back to clean, I'll be living at my parent's place. I am terrified, TERRIFIED, that it will be a repeat of doing my room, and that I will bring them to my parent's house. Despite showering, laundry, spraydowns, vacuuming, EVERYTHING I do, I'm afraid I'll bring it to them. I'm terrified of this, but I know I don't really have a choice. Every time I visit I'm afraid I'm just a ticking time bomb. Right now I am sitting in their house just visiting for Thanksgiving scratching 10 different phantom itches and crying. I can't enjoy myself. My bag, my clothes, my body all clean. But still. What if?

I don't know what I'm looking for. Support? Advice? Just an emotional boost? I just feel so overwhelmed. I keep expecting to open my bags or take off my coat and just find swarms of them, or just bites all over my body like I'm breaking ouut into hives. I guess I just need words of encouragement, please. Anyone to tell me that it just might get better. Any advice, anything. I could use it.

I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving.

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 26 2015 9:22:47
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds as if the adjacent units are causing problems in your unit. Application of chemicals is just one tool in bedbug control. Have you tried to inquire about the effectiveness of the treatments in the other units?

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. BedBuggedUp

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 26 2015 10:00:12
    #

Login to Send PM

No, only because I don't know exactly who's been treated. The unit upstairs was something I'd heard from my roommate, but he didn't say which unit it was or whether or not they hired someone to pay for it or the property managers did. As for the ones getting treated now, the property manager just let it slip. We don't know who they are.

TBH I don't give half a f*ck at this point. This building can burn for all I care. I just want the blast we do to maybe give us some peace as we gear up to move the hell out when out lease ends.

4. Drew

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 26 2015 10:13:38
    #

Login to Send PM

What are you using to treat?

5. BedBuggedUp

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 26 2015 10:22:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to spray around our house sporadically, Rest Easy Bed Bug Repellant. Kills bugs yes, repels them? Obviously not, haha. Kills eggs? Doubtful. Otherwise, 91% isopropyl alcohol or just washing everything a tthoussand and one time in small batches so they get flushed out.

This is the compny my landlords are willing to pay for. Be ready to be dazzled by their plethora of good reviews: It's simply overwhelming. [/sarcasm]

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,664 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me