Dead bug/shell found? Is it a BB?

(7 posts)
  1. sarahczw

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jun 8 2018 10:06:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I just moved into a new apartment. I had had bed bugs in my previous apartment, starting about this time last year. After treatment - 3 sprays - and bagging and washing all belongings, my apartment was seemingly bed bug free for months. Like I said, I moved into this new apartment and noticed what looked like the same BB bites I had previously had, but I work outdoors, so it's also possible they're from ants or mosquitos and I'm simply paranoid. Today, I found more of the "bites" on my legs and behind (odd, as I sleep in both pants and underwear), but I also found this on my bed.

It doesn't look to me like a BB, because of the legs, but any insights, corrections, or advice would be appreciated to ease my mind.

https://imgur.com/9jcZsnU

2. sarahczw

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jun 8 2018 10:59:58
    #

Login to Send PM

To follow up, when we had bed bugs the first time, it was a minor infestation. We found one cast and two live bugs and proceeded to treatment. It turned out that the whole building (four apartments) had signs of them.

Since moving in here, a brand new building, I'm the only one who's experienced (what might be) bites and the image above is the first sign of them I've had. But, in our first time with them, we also had no signs (no blood stains or fecal stains) except the shell and bugs themselves + my bites. I checked my bed/sheets and my mattress has been in TWO protectors since the first time, but I saw no signs until that dead bug in the picture above. I'm hoping I'm just panicking and that bug is actually just some other thing...

Really hoping someone can confirm/ID!

3. HifromChi

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jun 8 2018 14:25:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely not a bed bug, looks like it could be a dried up spider.

4. sarahczw

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jun 8 2018 17:21:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much. I think the more I hear that, the more I may get over the fear that they're back. Any other ideas as to what it may be?

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jun 8 2018 17:56:51
    #

Login to Send PM

HifromChi - 3 hours ago  » 
    Definitely not a bed bug, looks like it could be a dried up spider.

Yes, a spider. Looks like a species of Cheiracanthium.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. sarahczw

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jun 9 2018 10:43:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there anything to worry about with that kind of spider? Bites? (I feel silly asking that, but I just want to check.) Should I expect to find more or was this guy probably a rogue?

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jun 9 2018 15:14:56
    #

Login to Send PM

sarahczw - 4 hours ago  » 
    Is there anything to worry about with that kind of spider? Bites? (I feel silly asking that, but I just want to check.) Should I expect to find more or was this guy probably a rogue?

I wouldn't worry. There's no way to say that there are more or not. They don't live in a community.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,539 posts in 46,601 topics over 142 months by 20,554 of 21,420 members. Latest: TRAY, tjg, jm1985