Dead Bug ID Needed [a: cockroach nymphs]

(4 posts)
  1. mhallwie

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 28 2015 6:33:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in a house that's been converted into an apartment building in Brooklyn. I have 3 roommates, and we recently had a bed bug infestation.

I originally found a live adult bed bug crawling on my chair in April of this year, saved it in a bag and had a dog come and inspect. The dog didn't find the source of the infestation, but I called the company back for a visual inspection because I was dissatisfied with the service their dog handler provided. They sent a guy to come visually inspect within a couple of days and discovered a very nasty infestation in the room of one of our housemates (who is, admittedly, a slob and had many many places where a bed bug could hide in his room).

We received two treatments (three weeks apart.) from a group of people our landlord referred to as "guys that he knew" in order to deal with the issue. However, a month or so later one of my housemate's boyfriend said he thought he'd been bitten by a bed bug so we called our landlords "guys" back and they did a visual inspection (which turned up nothing) and then sprayed a third time.

Flash forward a few weeks from then, I've been traveling in and out of the state quite frequently and haven't been at home for an extended period of time. One of our roommates thinks she's been bitten by a bed bug on her leg (3 bites, she reacts pretty seriously) and I have some bites which I *think* are from sandfleas from a recent trip to florida for a wedding. I checked my climb-ups last night and found 2 dead bugs of the same species in 2 different cups. One was on the outside edge (i.e. trying to get in) and one was on the inside edge (trying to get out).

I'm hoping someone can give me an ID on these two bugs. I'm highly suspicious that we still have bugs just based on my opinion of the crew that our landlord enlisted to treat the apartment, and I'm generally pessimistic.

Here is the image of the 2 bugs I found in my climb-ups, hoping I can get an ID from someone: https://imgur.com/aB1JbQl

Thanks guys, I'm a little worried at the moment.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 28 2015 6:36:42
    #

Login to Send PM

and I have some bites which I *think* are from sandfleas from a recent trip to florida for a wedding.
    Sandfleas are not fleas. They are amphipods and do not bite, do not take blood.
    The 2 insects are small cockroach nymphs.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. mhallwie

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 28 2015 9:02:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou, we haven't seen much to suggest cockroaches in our apartment as of yet but I guess we'll look out for that now.

As for the sand fleas things, I do think I got bitten by something on the beach at dusk while I was sitting with friends. Is there a bug which would bite at that time of day on the beach?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 28 2015 10:51:42
    #

Login to Send PM

As for the sand fleas things, I do think I got bitten by something on the beach at dusk while I was sitting with friends. Is there a bug which would bite at that time of day on the beach?
    It's difficult to say. Many insects are out, some need blood to exist. Mosquitoes, certain other flies and non-biting but might cause lesions. So really can't pinpoint anything.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,799 posts in 50,040 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen