Dead Bug ID

(7 posts)
  1. DeepBreath

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jun 10 2018 18:23:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone. I found this bug crawling on the floor just outside my room and tried to keep it intact for a picture, but definitely got a bit jumpy and squished it hard. Hopefully it's still identifiable.

https://i.imgur.com/wszfa2K.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0iMkXkc.jpg

Thank you.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jun 11 2018 5:19:31
    #

Login to Send PM

DeepBreath - 10 hours ago  » 
    Hello everyone. I found this bug crawling on the floor just outside my room and tried to keep it intact for a picture, but definitely got a bit jumpy and squished it hard. Hopefully it's still identifiable.
    Thank you.

Looks like a black carpet beetle. You can see wings and wing covers and other body parts.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. DeepBreath

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jun 11 2018 5:27:51
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 5 minutes ago  » 

Thank you.

Looks like a black carpet beetle. You can see wings and wing covers and other body parts.

Just to clarify: it looks like a black carpet beetle, but you're certain it isn't a bed bug?

Thank you for responding. I was at an event recently and there was a lot of luggage lying around, so I'm on alert in case.

4. DeepBreath

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jun 11 2018 5:29:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Also was worried because I accidentally had flash on and hoped that didn't make the bug look too different than it appears.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jun 11 2018 11:45:29
    #

Login to Send PM

DeepBreath - 6 hours ago  » 

Thank you.

Just to clarify: it looks like a black carpet beetle, but you're certain it isn't a bed bug?
    Thank you for responding. I was at an event recently and there was a lot of luggage lying around, so I'm on alert in case. Also was worried because I accidentally had flash on and hoped that didn't make the bug look too different than it appears.

Here's what I wrote: "Looks like a black carpet beetle. You can see wings and wing covers and other body parts."
    You won't see wings and wing covers on a bed bug.

6. DeepBreath

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 3:07:09
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 2 days ago  » 

Thank you.

Thank you for responding. I was at an event recently and there was a lot of luggage lying around, so I'm on alert in case. Also was worried because I accidentally had flash on and hoped that didn't make the bug look too different than it appears.

Here's what I wrote: "Looks like a black carpet beetle. You can see wings and wing covers and other body parts."

Sorry! I wasn't aware that was the case. I thought they had wings to some degree, but can't fly. I must've got some wrong info somewhere.

Thank you for the ID!

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 3:58:38
    #

Login to Send PM

DeepBreath - 48 minutes ago  » 

loubugs - 2 days ago  » 

Thank you.

Sorry! I wasn't aware that was the case. I thought they had wings to some degree, but can't fly. I must've got some wrong info somewhere.
    Thank you for the ID!

Bed bug adults have front wings reduced to flattened stubs, no hind wings. Membranous hind wings plus wing covers are indicative of beetles. Only adult insects have wings. Look at pictures of adult bed bugs to see what I've described.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,789 posts in 45,873 topics over 139 months by 20,200 of 21,005 members. Latest: Bed-Bug-Beyond, Greg7707, Krogerss