Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

DE longevity question

(11 posts)
  1. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 14:46:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I have read a couple differing things different places. That DE will last and stay effective "forever" as long as it doesn't get wet and isn't disturbed. I have also read you should clean it up and redo about every 6 months.

A week ago I put a light application where carpet meets wall around the bedroom and living area. I have been careful not to vacuum along there. Should I plan on redoing it at some point, or will it stay good until end of next August (when lease is up)?

If it makes a difference it was the Safer brand. That was all Ace had in stock and I didn't want to wait for a mail order.

2. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 17:50:44
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1394296

I did a quick look-see. The product has DE as an ingredient, not the only ingredient. I don't know what else you're spreading around or how you are spreading this stuff around.

As far as I know, wetness is not an issue with pure DE as people apply it outdoors to help control various pests.

3. kirads09

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 29 2010 14:13:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok. Barring anything unforeseen, my plan is to vacuum up the old stuff and reapply March 1st. That is exactly 6 months since 1st application and 6 months until lease is over.

Bumping in case anyone has any further advice.

4. kirads09

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 29 2010 14:16:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, FYI, at this point I have used nothing else. No other chemicals or anything.

5. CimexH8er

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 29 2010 20:21:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Kirads09,

You mean ever since March 2010 (I'm assuming that was your first exposure to bbs)...you've used NOTHING else to kill these vampires except DE? Is that even possible? This kind of gives me hope then as while I'm trying to save up for several PCO visits from my tiny paychecks, I've been doing everything I can proactively to combat these bbs (washing w hot water, drying on hot, vacuuming, DE). Have you noticed a decrease in the # of bites since laying down the DE? Just curious. Thanks!

I'm a newbite so any advice would be great.

6. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 0:49:25
    #

Login to Send PM

DE is a mechanical pesticide and as such does not breakdown the same way that a chemical does. So long as it is applied in areas where it will not be disturbed (wall voids, floor-wall junctions, etc.) there should be no need to reapply it. If it is applied in open areas then it would get tracked away, stepped on, etc. and would eventually need to be reapplied; however, there would be no reason to apply DE in these types of locations in the first place.

DE is essentially sharp edges that lacerate the exoskeleton of the bed bug.

Sincerely,

Sean

7. kirads09

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 10:20:49
    #

Login to Send PM

@CimexH8er -

Sorry if I wasn't clear. No. I moved in here Aug 31. This was applied October 1. At this time I have no conclusive evidence I am infested. However 3 reports for my apt building have popped up (plus other comments) on the bb registry. I know two are confirmed. I have had some weird stuff happen which thankfully so far has turned out to be nothing. I am on high alert though. This was defensive, along with sealing and caulking everything I could. Just hoping to make it through my lease term unscathed, but wonder if I am tempting fate with 8 more months to go. I do think DE is ONE great tool in the arsonal, used appropriately. If you are currently infested, you probably need more than just DE. I would think a residual of some kind, but I am not a PCO. If you at all can, seek professional treatment.

@Sean - Thanks. So you feel I don't have to reapply. I wasn't sure. This Safer brand is only about 78% DE with other stuff. The label only says to "reapply as needed". It is only down btwn where carpet meets wall, just under the baseboard and also I brushed some around the electrical boxes and such. I have been careful not to vacuum close to the wall. I don't think it is being disturbed at all.

8. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 30 2010 23:32:00
    #

Login to Send PM

@Sean - Thanks. So you feel I don't have to reapply. I wasn't sure. This Safer brand is only about 78% DE with other stuff. The label only says to "reapply as needed". It is only down btwn where carpet meets wall, just under the baseboard and also I brushed some around the electrical boxes and such. I have been careful not to vacuum close to the wall. I don't think it is being disturbed at all.

Correct. It only needs to be re-applied in high traffic areas or if you vacuum it up.

Sean

9. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 31 2010 9:44:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Does DE lose any effectiveness if it gets wet?

We steamed our baseboards (ok I didn't), as I now realize we should not have, a week after applying it and since then, things seem to be worse which makes me believe it is no longer working as we vacuum or steam our carpet and bedframe/mattress/chairs all of the time (every other day) and packtite our sheets nearly daily, so they've got to be in those walls. We are going to vacuum, including the baseboards, and then reapply. But I was wondering if anyone knows if it does lose effectiveness after getting wet. I'd think it would since it is a dessicant and is used to clean up wet spills. It must lose some of its dessicant power.

thanks-
    Amy

10. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 1 2011 15:20:46
    #

Login to Send PM

DE will still work after being wet. The trouble is that when you put water on DE it can cause it to dry in patches (clusters) of DE particles leaving areas without DE and areas with DE.

Sean

11. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 2 2011 14:57:14
    #

Login to Send PM

ah, that would explain it, thanks Sean!

Amy

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316