DE- How long before they stop feeding

(4 posts)
  1. Dentak

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 24 2018 6:52:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Do bed bugs still feed after walking through DE? I know DE takes up to several days to kill, but in the meantime, would a bed bug keep feeding? I have yet to see a bed bug but I am getting bit...I've read a bunch on this topic and done what I can. It's been probably a month now since I started getting bitten, but the situation doesn't seem to have gotten any worse. I use a residual spray, climb ups, encasements, DE, and I use the dryer a lot. I've made my bed an "island". I'll go a four or five days with no bites, and then I'll have one or two. It's hard to tell sometimes if a bite is new or if I've reactivated an old one. Also, I have two dogs and from what I've read bed bugs prefer people to animals. Don't know how to handle the dog part - I keep their bedding clean and comb them but I wonder if they will eventually carry the bugs to other rooms. So far, just seem to have them in my bedroom, but I have yet to see any evidence of any kind - no stains, shells, bugs, etc. Don't know if it would be worse to finally find solid proof?

2. rca

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 24 2018 8:39:04
    #

Login to Send PM

It could be that you are irritating your old bite areas. I have had this problem and I am not currently staying in my home. I rewashed my clothes yesterday with a milder soap and softener. I had used a harsh washing, heavy on the bleach, when I first washed them after bug bites. I also am using some cocoa butter lotion to help my skin from all the over washing and alcohol affects.

3. Livingagain

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 24 2018 9:00:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope DE works for you, but it isn't always 100% effective. Those might be old bites, but maybe not. Cimexa is more effective than DE when they tested it in labs, so if DE doesn't take you all the way, you maybe should try that. It's pretty inexpensive. Good luck!!

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Apr 25 2018 7:21:12
    #

Login to Send PM

You can find bed bugs crawling about covered in DE because it is slow acting. As noted, Cimexa is another dust of amorphous silica and works faster.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,670 posts in 49,315 topics over 152 months by 21,612 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE