Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

DE dusting of baseboards -

(19 posts)
  1. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 20:41:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Quick question - trying to do my baseboards - do you just put it on the top, or along the bottom too?

2. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 21:11:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I reckon above would be most efficient.

I just did a doorway and 2 storage units using liquid (DE and water) mix and a fat soft hair artist brush. I love this method. The first time I tried it I dripped it all over but now I know the brush doesn't have to be sopping. It dries real quick and you can see that you have applied a light application of powder everywhere you wiped when you are done. No need to poof puff poof! Fast too!

Jeezus I'm a genius.

3. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 21:19:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you just come up with that and try it and it worked? Does it make it less toxic for them in any way do you think?

How much water vs DE did you do?

4. Beth

account closed

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 21:23:53
    #

Login to Send PM

DE has to be a powder for them to die I believe. It makes no sense, once wet, that it would coat them and dehydrate them in the same way. nycyn...is this a method that you learned from a professional? Let us know how it works. But from everything I have read, it has to be in its dust form to work.

peace-
    Amy

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 22:01:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read about that method -- DE and water mix, sometimes with soap -- but if I remember correctly, Jim (Spidey) recently cited some rather convincing evidence that it's not effective applied in this form. Hopefully he will chime in later.

What is effective is when DE is applied in powdered form. Most recommendations here are for cracks and crevices, so that would be either under or over depending where the cracks are, but not on where it is visible. That said, I believe DE has a very liberal label meaning it could be applied to lots of surfaces (where visible), but the problem seems to be inhalation hazards if the dust gets disturbed and people are going to be around.

DE, while effective, takes a week or so to work. If you're looking for a quick kill plus long residual, a better dust is Tempo (1%?) but this requires more caution and of course attention to the label.

Richard

6. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 22:37:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not selling anything here. I'm sharing my doing it "My Way." I did my homework on FW FG DE and I'm forgetting it already. People apply it outside for fleas and stuff and water doesn't bother it because when the ground dries out so does the powder which, while disturbable, is practically indestructable. Maybe like grinding a hard rock and stirring it in water and the water evaporates--what do you get? The water dries in less than five minutes leaving only the silt.

So that my My Way story and it works for me.

7. prairiemystic

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 20:25:45
    #

Login to Send PM

It looks like it's okay to mix DE with water and apply. Quoting Wolfcreekranch:

"We mix food grade diatomaceous earth with water to paint our fruit tree trunks with it, like a white wash. The DE keeps ants OFF our fruit trees. 1 cup applied to ½ gallon of water works well. Be sure to stir frequently as the DE settles to the bottom. Good as a white wash for wood fencing too.

1 to 2 cups per gallon of water can be used to apply diatomaceous earth in a backpack or hose end sprayer for problem infestations of mites, aphids, fungus problems, etc. Food grade diatomaceous earth will turn whatever you paint or spray with it white – so it may look like a “white” winter at your place. "

8. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 20:35:06
    #

Login to Send PM

My entrance door looked a little weird so I wiped off the excess. I also hit an area with ants in the kitchen. They're gone--or at least not in that location anymore.

9. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 23:40:11
    #

Login to Send PM

My issue with the DE suspensions is that it removes one of the best attributes of a dust application. The ability to ride the air currents and spread much farther and deeper than a liquid spray can.

DE through a duster is aerosolized into basically smoke and blown into a void. The "smoke" spreads far and wide in all directions laying down poofy death upon bugs and contaminating the surfaces with a fine layer of harm for when they travel across it.

Spray a liquid suspension and that goes in and down with very little other dispersion. Dry dust goes in, up, down, deep, and over.

Imagine a baseboard with a half inch gap, it goes back 2 inches and opens upwards and is 4 inches to the back of the wall. The bugs are up 2 inches on that front wall. You spray liquid whatever it will cover the floor by the gap and a little ways back into the gap on the floor. The bugs are untouched and when they get hungry may detect the hazard an look for a safe way out.

Now I come along with a hand or powered duster and blast a poof of dry dust product into that gap. The air blast of dust goes all the way in, hits the back and the cloud of dust spreads in the void and some dust product lands of the front of the wall where the bugs are and even if it doesn't land on them, has spread enough to leave them no safe way out.

Suspending DE into a liquid removes this advantage and even if it doesn't change the killing properties of DE it removed the dispersion advantage.

I really have issues where that alcohol, water, soap, and DE mix was pushed. I see absolutely no advantage to that in dispersion and the soap may bind the particles and they could not be picked up by a passing bug.

In summation of MHO DE suspensions have no advantage over a dry application and have some potential drawbacks.

Now if I had Bill Gates money and could open Snake Oil Labs I'd do experiments to prove this.

Jim

10. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 23:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Spideyjg: Oh I plan on getting a bellows duster as well. But isn't the bottom line their climbing through the stuff which they would have to do, say, to leave a certain crevice or a closet?

I don't know why anybody would use soap. It seems it would compromise the DE. Alcohol I don't know why anybody would bother unless they think they are doing a kill two birds with one stone kind of thing.

I still like my method. I can do the closet door frames and floor without poofing all over my clothes.

11. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 2 2011 2:27:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I use an plastic ketcup and/or mustard bottle to spreads the dust.

12. mbilly

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 15 2011 5:32:41
    #

Login to Send PM

On one hand, I love the idea of using a paintbrush, but on the other hand I would not use the water. It completely defeats the purpose.

Anyone?

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 15 2011 10:46:19
    #

Login to Send PM

The powder can be lightly applied using a makeup brush (or similarly sized paintbrush). The recommendation seems to be for a very light dusting if you use DE.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  14. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 15 2011 13:20:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Once again, I have to ask a question for which I have never received an answer--how do you apply it with a makeup brush? I just don't see any way to do this without smearing it.

I have had best luck with the cheap Pest Pistol. Works better than the often-recommended Bellows duster, which is harder and more awkward to push. Hold the Pest Pistol up a bit, give an easy push, and it coats down as an almost invisible settled dust. Shake it often to keep it loose. Just don't see why using any kind of a brush is a good idea, although I know some of the experts here have recommended it. We need a video demonstration of these things. I am convinced now that I have put it down correctly, but wish I could see someone else doing it. One of the most effective bed bug killing methods is also one of the most difficult to apply properly.

15. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 15 2011 15:46:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I used a plastic Pest Pistol as well and found that once in a while it would get plugged and then blast out too much powder. That's when I used the make up brush to try to even it out a little so there wasn't a big clump of powder which apparently they avoid. I guess the other situation where it would be useful would be if you just wanted to put a very light application on something with an uneven surface.

16. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Apr 16 2011 12:02:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, yes, any of these devices will get plugged. I find that by keeping it refrigerated and shaking it very often when using, the dust delivered the way it should all the time.

Thanks for your reply. But I really don't believe that this stuff was meant to be painted on--even lightly. I honestly think that once it has been smeared around like that, the dust's dessicating quality has been destroyed.

A couple of experts told us to paint it. Since they never answer my questions about the efficacy of this method, I assume they don't really have an answer.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Apr 16 2011 12:15:58
    #

Login to Send PM

So unsettling,

I see your point.

I have heard this advice to use a makeup brush from experts. I think they might be advising people to dab it on with a brush, rather than sweeping it with a brush, but it's a good question.

18. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Apr 17 2011 8:26:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Somewhere a while back I wrote a long diatribe about the dispersion advantages of the blown poof of aerosolized dust vs liquids.

Using a brush negates that aerosolized advantage. I love my Exacticide duster but to apply properly you need to go about 6 ft a second. In tight precise location a bellows still rules but for long stretches the powered duster rocks.

Recently Technicide came out with a more adjustable rendition but I haven't seen it to judge.

It really is a tool for a professional at $600+ or so but after breaking my back dusting with a bellows around a 2 bedroom apartment, it was worth it to me.

Jim

19. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Apr 17 2011 9:21:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Nobugs, Spidey.

Pest Pistol still rules for me, though:) Maybe because it is a little bigger than the Bellows, easier
    to handle. I think I won't be purchasing that other gadget hehe.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 155 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993