Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

DE (diatomaceous earth) and Heat pipes/radiators?

(7 posts)
  1. never_again

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 4 2009 16:31:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I am DE-ing the perimeter of my new apartment as a prevention method for possible future infestations. There are quite a few heating ducks around and i was thinking about dusting under/around them, but i just wanted to make sure there wasn't a health risk to doing so.

Could the heat release DE particles in the air consistently or is it pretty safe to dust there?

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 4 2009 20:05:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Avoid placing any DE in the heating ducts... It isn't the heat, rather it is the movement of air that will create a problem. We don't want to inhale DE particles or get DE in our eyes.

Be careful to apply very small amounts of dust in cracks & crevices where the dust will not be disturbed and made airborne. There should not be any visible dust.

3. als

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 7 2009 10:47:15
    #

Login to Send PM

what about in/behind older hot water rads?

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Mar 26 2010 10:39:45
    #

Login to Send PM

>ps, from what i have read, it has 90+% silicone which is good for you and less than 3% of this is crystalline silicone so it relatively harmless when inhaled. It is the cheaper stuff that is over 5% crystalline silica that can cause lung silicosis.

Crystalline silica in any concentration is a respiratory hazard.
    Amorphous silica is not "good" for you.
    We have no way to ascertain this vendor's purity claim for truth or consistancy.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. greenapplepest

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Mar 26 2010 10:40:18
    #

Login to Send PM

never_again - 4 months ago  » 
    I am DE-ing the perimeter of my new apartment as a prevention method for possible future infestations. There are quite a few heating ducks around and i was thinking about dusting under/around them, but i just wanted to make sure there wasn't a health risk to doing so.
    Could the heat release DE particles in the air consistently or is it pretty safe to dust there?

Are you using food grade DE? if so its 100 percent safe around anywhere in your dwelling but of course not safe to breath in. Use common sense as not to put it in a place that would make it airborne. also when DE is heated to extreme temperatures it may become crystallized and then be dangerous in all cases so be careful where you place it.

Mike
    Green Apple Pest Management Solutions Inc.

6. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Mar 26 2010 11:17:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I cannot speak for others on the board, but the reason that I strongly encourage people to exercise caution when using "food grade" DE is this.

In one peer-reviewed study done of the safety of food grade DE, researchers found that every commercially available DE contained at least some crystalline DE. In order to find out how safe the food grade stuff was, researchers had to manufacture their own 100% pure food grade DE to test its safety.

If researchers didn't trust commercially available food grade DE to be 100% food grade--given that there is no cure or terribly effective treatment for silicosis--I'm thinking that the average bed bug fighter shouldn't either.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Mar 26 2010 12:22:39
    #

Login to Send PM

katieash said,

ps crystalline silicone so it relatively harmless when inhaled. It is the cheaper stuff that is over 5% crystalline silica that can cause lung silicosis.

katieash also posted three different posts in three different threads on DE today, all driving traffic to her DE-merchant overlords.

Thank you, spam filter!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,211 posts in 50,140 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10