de BB-ing futon

(3 posts)
  1. prana

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jul 2 2018 11:30:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I am renting a 13 x 12 foot room. I bought a full size tri fold futon, and fold it up every day.

There were bbs in it, I found after I had for a while. I had it steamed, but they didn't get them all.

I also have a special bb cover over the mattress.

Getting bites. I found a section in the futon where some are living.

Thinking of taking it all apart, and soaking in the tub, or throwing it out.

Suggestions?

2. Bugsareicky

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 3 2018 15:20:26
    #

Login to Send PM

They don't stay in the bed only, so unless you treat the entire room, or possibly multiple rooms, they will come back again and again and again. If you can afford a professional, do it. If not, start researching because you just became the pest control guy. lol

As far as the futon goes...I'd buy a new one if you can.
    You could take it apart and steam every crack, hole, and screw, shoot steam into the bars, encase the mattress, and dust the entire frame and all cracks/holes with DE or Cimexa... but then you get a little rip in that encasement or miss one bug inside a hollow bar and you're back to square one. If money is really tight you COULD treat a futon and it would definitely help, but I wouldn't count on it solving the problem permanently. If you decide to go with a new one, pick up some DE or Cimexa and dust all of the holes, frame, and hardware with it while you assemble it. Encase the new mattress right away with a new encasement. If you have to remove the old futon from your room, wrap it in sheet plastic and tape it up. Otherwise you could spread the little demons all over the house.

3. prana

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 21:16:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I am in a place where they rent 100 rooms in a large building. Most people have a 12x12 or 12x13' room, like me.

I bought the futon frame used, not knowing it had bbs. I saw signs of them afterwards.

I used to live in a room next door, and the management had it heat treated, but they did not separate my mattress from the frame, and I don't think the area between the mattress and frame got as hot as it should and some bbs survived.

So now I have and am using:

I pulled back the mattress near my head and saw several bbs in the corners of the frame and in the corners of the futon cover. I sprayed them with 90% alcohol, and have been checking and spraying daily.

Hopefully that'll do it.

The owner has a bug guy visits once per month. Good to bounce ideas off of. He's used some low chemical stuff, and given me some Ortho Bed Bug Traps, which helped a little.

I don't have him spray with the full chemical stuff because they don't agree with me.

I also have:
    SenSci Bed Bug Detection Kit - Volcano Monitor and Activ Lure
    Food Grade DE

Maybe I'll add the DE to the crevices, however, I fold up the bed daily since it's a small space and it may fall out.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,375 posts in 46,305 topics over 141 months by 20,411 of 21,249 members. Latest: berry1, kt_f, newbee