Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

DE and Pets

(10 posts)
  1. kjdrga

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 8:31:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I read that you use DE to treat pets for various pest. I was wondering do people have experience using DE with their pets during treatment for BB?

I have a cat and I assume I could dust him (neck down) however I feel uneasy about doing this with little experience with DE.

Thanks

2. angie

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 20:12:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I personally would not do that!! If you think of how cats clean themselves and then think of what DE does to kill the bugs, I think that would be a bad idea! DE can destroy your vaccum and the thought of your kitty licking that stuff with his tongue scares the bajeebers out of me. I gave my pet baths every two weeks with a flea killer and that doesn't hurt the animals and it did offer a bit of relief for my dog. And she smelled nice.

3. prayforamiracle

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 21:01:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Please do not DE the cat...
    This is a past post.
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-do-you-sterilize-a-cat-with-claws

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 25 2008 0:08:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I would focus on treating your home. Bed bugs are not going to live on your cat. Get them out of the home, and they will leave you and the cat alone.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. belle72

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 25 2008 0:23:03
    #

Login to Send PM

God Bless you Nobugs...I was almost off the wall, so worried about our cat. He lost a tuft of fur today (unusual for him) but he's so fluffy I can't tell where it came from. Thanks again.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 25 2008 0:37:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Poor thing.

He might have a hot spot. It's an irritated patch that pets scratch (and could be initiated by any bug bite or other irritation)--can get infected so worth keeping an eye out for any furless patches, but not a big deal (vet can help).

7. kjdrga

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 12:53:30
    #

Login to Send PM

The cat is not prohibited from going in the bedroom 1) because that is where the infestion lives (although they are sneaking out of the room as of last night) and 2) I have encased my bed so no more kitty sleeping with me.

However the cat LOVEs to sleep outside the door waiting for me to open it and I think if the bugs are hungry they'll crawl out and feast on him, more importantly though I don't want the cat to perhaps carry any eggs around the house especially when treatment begins.

Will flee shampoo work for BB's? I could take him to the vet (another expense to add to the list so why not right?)

Thanks

8. nightshirt

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 14:38:04
    #

Login to Send PM

how long is the cat hair? i used de food grade and had no problems and yes my dog was getting bitten. i went to a health food place in palm springs and noticed that they sold de food grade. i asked about if they have a bb problem around and the guy who worked there said no but he is takig a tablespoon every day for two weeks to clean out his parasites. you can eat it with no effects.

9. kjdrga

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 15:21:21
    #

Login to Send PM

He's a short haired domestic....poor guy scratches a time and now that I think back it must of been the buggers because he liked to crawl up on my bed alot

10. BeeBee

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 15:37:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Your cat could also have fleas or ear mites or some other type of mites. I wouldn't assume it was bed bugs or give him anything or put anything on him without a vet's approval.

I've put a thin layer of DE around my dog and cats' beds as a precaution against the BBs trying to munch on them. I check them often and so far I haven't noticed any bites.

You might try this by your bedroom door.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,676 posts in 45,064 topics over 137 months by 19,786 of 20,521 members. Latest: jes510, Jessica107, Starsky30