DDVP/Nuvan and furniture storage question

(5 posts)
  1. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 25 2012 17:35:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a question on DDVP/Nuvan strips and have been reading all the threads on them today.

I am in Kentucky and cannot find anyone that does Vikane treatments. In my mind, DDVP/Nuvan seemed like a nice alternative. However, in addition to small items, the items I am most concerned about are a sofa, chair, and mattresses. Would those large of items need to be put in some sort of "bags" with the strip enclosed or would it be possible to rent a POD load everything in there and put the appropriate amount of strips enclosed in there? Are PODs airtight? Wouldn't they have to be so rain wouldn't get on your possessions? Or would the treatment be more successful if I put the large items in the bags with strips then put the bags in a POD outside?

I think I did read that the vapors have to get throughout the items so I am a little concerned that treating a sofa and large items like that might not work???? Please let me know any information or advice anyone might have in treating large items in that manner.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 25 2012 22:19:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know of any professional services who treat in a pod with DDVP strips.

I am not sure if anyone in Kentucky does Vikane treatments, but you might call Bedbugfumigators.com and bedbugsandbeyond.com to ask them.

There also may be companies who own an Insect Inferno in your state and this is treatment of a trailer with heat. Reports are that it works well. You can contact insectinferno.com and they might be willing to tell you if a local company has their machines.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2012 7:19:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I was actually going to do the DDVP strips/POD idea myself and was asking the "Expert" if he thought it would work! Thank you for the other ideas though!! Will definitely look into them.

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2012 7:32:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear abs,

(Note to all: I have a professional relationship with the manufacturer of ddvp containing pest strips such as Nuvan.)

Below are some comments relative to the questions & issues you've posted above:

Pods:
    Folks have and are using pods for bed bug treatments as well as trailers and large steel containers. These large containers may not be 100% air tight and modifications thereof are made using tape, caulk and other suitable materials as needed by the election of the individual.

Treatment Methodologies:
    Within these containers treatment methodologies options can include heat, fumigation and ddvp type treatments. As NB posted above the Insect Inferno is basically a trailer sized convection oven designed to kill bed bugs.

At UF they developed and published on the use of two inch styro insulation boards/panels to construct a heat treatment chamber in which furniture is heat treated for bed bugs. These folks use heat and may supplement the treatment by including Nuvan ddvp strips as well. Their "heat box" is constructed of 4 x 8 two inch panels fastened with duct tape and they usually build a 4 foot by 8 foot by 4 foot high sized treatment chamber.

Treatment Bags:
    Furniture and other items may be wrapped in bags or plastic sheeting (painter tarps, etc) for treatment as well. In this method folks may inspect and treat a couch and then seal it into a suitable wrap for treatment with Nuvan strips. While some may simply place a furniture item within a sealed wrap for Nuvan type treatment, my recommendation is to first treat the furniture by vacuum, steam and/or insecticide application prior to the "bag treatment" such that we can assure a more thorough treatment.

Other:

Treatment duration depends on the methodology implemented.

With Nuvan we need to have air space such that the product vapors have the ability to move and enter bed bug harborages. Even though this product works via "vapor action" it is NOT a true fumigant gas and is not capable of penetrating surfaces as a true fumigant such as methyl bromide and sulfuryl flouride type gases can. As such, using a small fan(s) to create slight air movement enhances the efficacy of such treatments.

Remember, when inspecting & treating uphulstored furniture and box springs it is of critical importance that the bottom dust cover be removed to provide access to the areas where bed bugs harbor !

Please advise if any additional questions or concerns, hope this helps ! paul b.

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 26 2012 7:53:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! That does help!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123