(9 posts)
  1. bugoff_1

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2009 15:23:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi folks,
    I've been reading and posting for months and am now in the process of packing for a move next week. Your help has been a God-send.

I have a question regarding the use of DDVP strips. I have had what I've been told is considered a 'light' infestation, mostly in the bedroom. My bedroom has been vacant for over 6 months due to all the harsh and improperly applied chemicals by my landlord (mattress has been on lvg room floor ever since - details of that being on another post). I have a bed frame in there that is solid oak and cost over $800 (only 2 yrs old). It has been saturated with DE, vaporized to the point of all the hinges & screws being rusted, had several coats of my LL's mix of Suspend and Archer, and I just wiped it down with Murphys Oil soap. (Yes, it looks like h*** from battle fatigue but I wanna keep it). Once I move out, the carpets will be ripped out for new carpeting & apt. repainted by LL.

In speaking with an entomologist, he recommended I encase the frame with a plastic bag effect, placing a DDVP strip inside for a few days, then opened and aired the nite b4 moving. In reading the threads here on DDVP strips and their toxic effects, I am wondering if it is safe to 'gas' a bed frame with it. I have an alternate idea on how to treat the frame and a few other items; CDs, picture frames, electronics, and am looking for your feedback on it. Plan is as follows:

Create a tent-like curtain of thick plastic (4mm) over the bed frame. Place electronics, cd's and other objects in question within this tent and let sit for the 6 days before moving, keeping bedroom windows open. Wearing a ventilation mask, remove plastic the day b4 moving and air out with a strong fan and windows open. Since the carpet is going to be replaced anyway and the apt cleaned before any new tenants, would this be a safe and/or effective plan?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2009 16:02:00
    #

Login to Send PM

bugoff_1 - 37 minutes ago  » 
    Create a tent-like curtain of thick plastic (4mm) over the bed frame. Place electronics, cd's and other objects in question within this tent and let sit for the 6 days before moving, keeping bedroom windows open. Wearing a ventilation mask, remove plastic the day b4 moving and air out with a strong fan and windows open. Since the carpet is going to be replaced anyway and the apt cleaned before any new tenants, would this be a safe and/or effective plan?

Do you mean you would place DDVP strips inside the plastic? (Because otherwise, I am not sure what you're talking about doing here).

I am not an expert on DDVP, but am trying to understand what you're proposing.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bugoff_1

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2009 16:16:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes Nobugsonme , the DDVP strip (not strips) or cartridge would be placed in the middle of the tent. I believe the instructions mention the strip covers a 900x900 ft area - it looks like a small filter with vents, about 6" x 3". The ends of the plastic would be tacked down so as not to leak any fumes outside the tent and I would place a towel under the door for x-tra safety. I know how toxic these fumes can be so am trying to do this with as much protective guard as possible.

Also, I've read conflicting reports on whether or not DDVP strips are safe on electronics, which I'd hoped to be able to place in the tent as well.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2009 16:49:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks -- that description seemed to leave out the key step of including the DDVP strips, so I was not 100% sure what you were going to do.

DDVP is controversial and some say it is dangerous to electronics, as you note.

I would ask JWhiteBBCTV who is one of the professionals who seems to recommend its use.

Perhaps others will also respond here.

5. bugoff_1

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2009 16:51:18
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL, sorry bout that Nobugsonme and Ty so much for your response. Is JWhiteBBCTV a member on this site?

Comments, suggestions, ideas welcome.

P.S. - BTW, in case anyone is wondering, 91% alcohol really isn't a good idea on wood. It drys it out and takes the finish right off ~ good thing I used it only on the inside of the wood frame :/

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2009 16:54:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. And if you look at some other threads labelled DDVP (which may be helpful), you will see lots of his comments (and can PM him via those).

http://bedbugger.com/forum/tags/ddvp

7. bugoff_1

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2009 16:56:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Danke Nobugsonme, you are such a prompt and helpful host I shall look for him.

Again, others please feel free to contribute or comment.

8. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2009 20:16:03
    #

Login to Send PM

9. bugoff_1

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jul 25 2009 23:09:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so very much DougSummersMS, your help has been invaluable!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,306 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo