Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

DDVP strips (or other treatments for non-washables)

(9 posts)
  1. Bythesidewalk

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 21 2014 14:00:18
    #

Login to Send PM

We are at the beginning of our journey and it's going ok. It has been six days since our first PCO treatment. Our landlord was cool and proactive although now he's making me a little nervous with his reticence. The PCO advised us that we did not have a bad infestation - we had no signs other than bites and three babies with full bellies found on the box spring, and one cast skin. The PCO didn't see any when he was in (we since found our first smooshed bug in the sheets with accompanying blood stain - super unsettling after treatment but expected?). The LL also said the company will not come again for another month. Is that suitable? I know from reading all the great resources here that eggs hatch in 10-14 days and a lot of follow-ups happen every couple weeks if you are still finding bugs/getting bites (which we are - expected after one treatment). So is a month later ok or should we press our LL to get the PCO in sooner?

Second question (if the first paragraph was a question and not just the rankings of the bedbug addled mind): shoes, purses, our storage room, all the things that were in my bedside table. I just bagged them up when we dried and bagged up all of our clothes. What would our best method for these things be? After reading all the resources here including some great info from Paul Bello and discussion of controversy, I feel like the DDVP strip route would be best for these bagged up items. What other options do I have for these items? We can't afford a packtite so DDVP seems the best option. Also considering putting the strips in our storage room which is in the basement of our building - nothing in there has been in our apartment since we started getting bites but I don't want to risk getting rid of them in our apartment and then brining things back in from our storage unit.

I would love to hear any advice, options, or ideas from all you wonderful people. Discovering this website helped us identify bedbugs and figure out how to move forward, and reading things has brought me some peace in this time of stress and often depression. It gives me control. I'm very grateful.

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 9:16:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Bythesidewalk,

I am not an expert or pest professional. However, below are some thoughts upon reading your post:

Bythesidewalk -  » 
    The LL also said the company will not come again for another month. Is that suitable? I know from reading all the great resources here that eggs hatch in 10-14 days and a lot of follow-ups happen every couple weeks if you are still finding bugs/getting bites (which we are - expected after one treatment). So is a month later ok or should we press our LL to get the PCO in sooner?

I personally would not be comfortable waiting one month between treatments. I would contact the LL and maybe explain to him that you have been doing some research and that you are not comfortable waiting a month between treatments and then request that the PCO re-treat at 14 days. Perhaps you could maybe even call the PCO directly and ask for an explanation of the one month interval?

Bythesidewalk -  » 
    Second question (if the first paragraph was a question and not just the rankings of the bedbug addled mind): shoes, purses, our storage room, all the things that were in my bedside table. I just bagged them up when we dried and bagged up all of our clothes. What would our best method for these things be?

It sounds like you have been doing some reading and research. Have you read the FAQ regarding that topic? There is a heading under the FAQs entitled: "Getting bed bugs out of your stuff" . . . under that heading are the following topics:

http://bedbugger.com/2009/03/29/what-is-a-packtite/

http://bedbugger.com/2006/11/08/updated-118-faq-how-do-i-deal-with-clothing-during-treatment-for-bed-bugs-and-for-a-while-later/

http://bedbugger.com/2007/05/18/dryer/

http://bedbugger.com/faqs/pestcontrol/faq-killing-bed-bugs-with-steam/

http://bedbugger.com/2007/06/26/dry-cleaners-and-bed-bugs/

http://bedbugger.com/2007/08/04/faq-leaving-stuff-out-to-freeze-walk-in-freezers-etc-how-cold-and-how-long/

I don't know if you have already read them, but thought maybe there is some information contained in them that could assist you.

Bythesidewalk - 19 hours ago  » 
    After reading all the resources here including . . . discussion of controversy, I feel like the DDVP strip route would be best for these bagged up items. What other options do I have for these items? We can't afford a packtite so DDVP seems the best option. Also considering putting the strips in our storage room which is in the basement of our building

I would think it might depend on what the bagged items are as to what may be the best decontamination method for them. If you are thinking about putting pest strips in your storage unit, it is my understanding that when using DDVP strips for a storage room, that the storage room would need to be rendered as air tight as possible . . . possibly using plastic sheeting and packaging tape. (You don't want fresh air entering and "depleting" the vapors.) It is my further understanding that a fan to circulate the vapors would be an added benefit. (But you are thinking about doing this when nothing in the storage room has been exposed to bed bugs?? Are you worried that someone may be storing bed bug infested items in their storage unit and they might find their way to your storage unit?)

From what you have stated, it sounds like you have read information regarding DDVP strips . . . here are a few additional links that you may or may not have already read . . . that may be helpful to you:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/would-this-be-an-appropriate-use-of-nuvan-strips

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/pest-strip-fundamentals

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/your-questions-amp-answers-below

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/pco-using-nuvan-strips-in-bedroom-is-this-safe

Good Luck in your bed bug war!!

3. Bythesidewalk

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 9:56:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much, Absolutely! I have read tons of your posts in my research and am grateful for your information and your positive attitude!

We told our LL we were still getting bites. He hadn't done his research that more than one treatment would be needed and apparently the PCO didn't tell him. They're sending someone out Monday. That will be 11 days post first treatment. Now I'll be opposite paranoid that isn't enough time. It's always something with these damn bugs, hah!

As for strips in the storage unit - things in the unit have been in our apartment within the last two months. Not since we started noticing bites but I am paranoid that bugs could have been in the apartment before we noticed.

Thanks for all the resources on dealing with the non-washables. I guess what I'm ultimately looking for is what people feel they have had the best experience with.

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 11:23:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Bythesidewalk - 1 hour ago  » 
    We told our LL we were still getting bites. He hadn't done his research that more than one treatment would be needed and apparently the PCO didn't tell him. They're sending someone out Monday. That will be 11 days post first treatment. Now I'll be opposite paranoid that isn't enough time. It's always something with these damn bugs, hah!

Absolutely Fabulous and Yay!! Try not to worry that it wasn't enough time and just remain ever vigilant after treatment!

Bythesidewalk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for all the resources on dealing with the non-washables. I guess what I'm ultimately looking for is what people feel they have had the best experience with.

Ok, I know you stated that you can't afford a PackTite, so you probably don't want to hear this . . . but I have read many times that heat is one of the best killers of bed bugs. And many of the items you are wanting to treat can be treated in a PackTite.

You may want to consider different variables . . . for example, do you live in an apartment or attached home where bed bugs could possibly be more of a problem . . . or do you travel very often where you could use a PackTite to decontaminate upon arriving back home?

Items, of course, can be treated and decontaminated without a PackTite (i.e., inspecting, vacuuming, steaming, pest strips, sealing for 18 months, etc.) . . .but they sure are handy and can be used for years to come (especially when traveling).

Do you have a dryer in your home or go to a laundry mat? If you have a dryer in your home there are "dryer shelves" that can be purchased that go inside the dryer and shoes, purses and other items that you don't want banging around in a dryer can be placed on the shelf for treatment by heat.

(And thank you for your thank you . . . that was very sweet!)

5. Bythesidewalk

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 23 2014 8:09:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Now the LL talked to the PCO company again and they told him that the stuff they applied "lasts a long time" and will kill the bugs that are still around so they will be back to "inspect" in a month. Now this has me worried that the PCO is incompetent and our LL is listening. But I guess we're stuck with this and hopefully it works out.

We don't travel a lot but we do live in an apartment for the foreseeable future. Weighing costs of the strips and peace of mind versus the packtite I might bite the bullet and get one.

6. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 23 2014 9:46:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Bythesidewalk -  » 
    Now the LL talked to the PCO company again and they told him that the stuff they applied "lasts a long time" and will kill the bugs that are still around so they will be back to "inspect" in a month. Now this has me worried that the PCO is incompetent and our LL is listening. But I guess we're stuck with this and hopefully it works out.

Rats! I'm so sorry Bythe!

I have a few (unsolicited) additional comments/suggestions for you:

Can you calmly talk to your LL and let me know that you are really not comfortable waiting so long. . . and ask him if he will please get the PCO to treat at 14 days? If he is still not going for it, could you maybe -- as a last ditch effort -- offer to split the cost of the treatment with him?

Can you find out what the PCO used in your apartment (they should have left you a sheet with the info?) so maybe some of the pest professionals on here could possibly comment on the viability of it lasting 30 days? I do know I have read on here that some chemicals have a residual effect. But for how long on a specific product, maybe we could ask one of the experts?

Possibly look into purchasing some monitors for the purpose of determining if there are any more live bed bugs in your apartment.

Stay vigilant . . .and if you find any "new" bugs (don't forget to check your sofa) DEMAND another treatment immediately!

Bythesidewalk -  » 
    We don't travel a lot but we do live in an apartment for the foreseeable future. Weighing costs of the strips and peace of mind versus the packtite I might bite the bullet and get one.

So no dryer in the apartment (that would be a big help)? . . . Yes I do believe a PackTite gives wonderful peace of mind, and recommend them if you can afford one . . . but remember you can beat this and decontaminate items without one. (Books and papers are the most difficult items to treat with both PackTite and DDVP strips (in my opinion).)

. . . once again . . . I'm not an expert and the above are merely my musings (yet again)!

7. Bythesidewalk

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 23 2014 10:03:49
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a dryer in our unit. Clothes are all taken care of - I can't fine a dryer rack that fits our dryer so I still feel stuck in terms of some of the things I need to heat up - shoes, purses, suitcases, etc. I just bought a packtite on amazon but I have instant buyer's remorse wondering if I just put myself further into debt buying something I don't need. If I feel confident in a different option I might return the packtite. Everything is a question in these crazy days of bedbugs.

We've pretty much gone through everything we can with the LL. He's going with the "expert" advice of the PCO so we are just going to continue to be diligent with quarantine, cleaning, vacuuming, and spotting bugs. We're still getting a bite or so apiece a night 7 days post-treatment. Not comforting.

I'm staying cheerful though! We are engaging all protocols and get to spend the weekend at my parents planning our wedding! We'll get through this and brighter days are ahead!

8. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 23 2014 10:28:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Bythesidewalk - 14 minutes ago  » 
    We have a dryer in our unit. Clothes are all taken care of - I can't fine a dryer rack that fits our dryer so I still feel stuck in terms of some of the things I need to heat up - shoes, purses, suitcases, etc.

I think I either went on-line or called the manufacturer to find out if one was available for my unit. (Just need model number maybe?) I was surprised one was available for mine even though it's just about eight years old. And once it arrived, I was surprised by the "simple" design of it . . . and thought, someone might be able to just "make" one of these!

I just bought a packtite on amazon but I have instant buyer's remorse wondering if I just put myself further into debt buying something I don't need. If I feel confident in a different option I might return the packtite. Everything is a question in these crazy days of bedbugs.

Awwww . . . Don't have buyer's remorse! So good to have!

We're still getting a bite or so apiece a night 7 days post-treatment. Not comforting.

Not good! . . . Remember . . . you might want to monitor also to see if you "catch" any!

I'm staying cheerful though! We are engaging all protocols and get to spend the weekend at my parents planning our wedding! We'll get through this and brighter days are ahead!

YAY! And LOVE your positive attitude!

Good luck on your wedding plans!! Best Wishes to you and Congratulations to your fiancé !

9. kirads09

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 24 2014 11:58:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I just wanted to heartily recommend a packtite - if you can see any way to get one.
    (no I don't work for them.)

When I had a mild infestation (three years ago) I didn't know about packtite. I foolishly threw out many many personal small non washable items that could have been treated with one. I lost so much and then spent $ trying to replace a lot of it .... Augh.
    The investment in the small packtite would've paid for itself easily.

I still use mine for lots of stuff I buy - especially used and/or off Ebay. Just gives me a peace of mind I wouldn't have without.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325