DDVP question

(7 posts)

Tags:

1. plsnobugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2016 10:32:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I've done a few searches but am not entirely clear.

Would putting DDVP in plastic bags in a plastic bin with a battery operated fan for air circulation inside...in a closet that I sealed off to keep the fumes from going too far into the apartment....would that be sufficiently safe? The closet is long, runs the length of the room, and has an actual door.

I have some things I am not sure I dare packtite.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2016 23:32:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Let me understand this: you're putting items to be treated in sealed plastic bags with a DDVP strip inside? They're sealed in an airtight manner? Then putting them in storage bins (presumably for ease of carry and stacking)? All of that should be sufficient. The fumes should remain in the individual sealed bags with the items being treated, and I would think you don't need to circulate the air around them.

However, I am not an expert on DDVP and most here aren't. P Bello is and you can email him via his website listed in his profile if you have questions. If you do that, I hope you'll update this thread with what you find out.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Knowthyenemy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 4 2016 18:55:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I sent him an email.

Here's what I got in response:

It's best to have the strip at the top.

The items in the bag should be aired out after treatment.

Do not over stuff the bag.

A plastic storage bin with rigid sides would be a better choice.

See the Nuvan FAQs article on my website.

pjbpestconsultant.com

PJB

: )
    Here's what I asked:

Hi there, I found your website through bedbugger.

I just had a quick question about DDVP strips. If they are sealed in a contractor bag (for 14 days), does the bag still require air circulation? Does the strip still need to remain at the top of the bag?

4. plsnobugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 6 2016 6:29:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Knowthyenemy, thank you. I had emailing him on my list but honestly have been overwhelmed with the laundry. So they won't get out of a plastic bin?

5. Knowthyenemy

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 21:19:06
    #

Login to Send PM

plsnobugs - 1 day ago  » 
    Knowthyenemy, thank you. I had emailing him on my list but honestly have been overwhelmed with the laundry. So they won't get out of a plastic bin?

No, but I would tape it closed for the time period to be sure.

6. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 22:16:34
    #

Login to Send PM

He has good advice, I picked his brain a few times. I used DDVP strips by taping them to the inside lid of my tote carefully as to not block the holes. Then put items in the tote so most sides were unblocked, then lid on and duct tape sealed. The handles of the totes usually have small holes, FYI. I taped those to avoid leakage of the air. Also I used cheap totes from Walmart because duct tape is a huge pain to remove, residue wise. I am not a pro.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  7. plsnobugs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 7:49:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. This all is helpful. I didn't think of just sealing the totes. Might have to do some of that. We have a packtite, but our electric bill is gonna be a train wreck after trying to use it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW