Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

DDVP pest strips in cars

(10 posts)
  1. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 10:59:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I am considering using a ddvp pest strip in my car as I will not be using it for a few weeks and it seems like a good opportunity. However, I am very concerned about the toxins. I know it may not be the best idea but I really want the assurance that my car doesn't have bedbugs.

I only want to use a 16g stip or 2, but where I live they only have the 65g size (checked 4 stores). Can I cut the strip somehow so won't poison myself? I don't think I will do it if I have to use a whole 65g strip. I don't want to open the package till it is time to use it.

When I return to my car, I will have to drive it right away - was planning to let it air for a little bit and then drive with the windows open. Considered using a respirator also?

This is SO not like me - I usually go to great lengths to avoid toxins. I pick shampoo according to which ones have safer ingredients!! It is just an indication of how desperate I feel.

2. Blueboy

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 11:29:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there a reason you think that your car may have bed bugs?
    Loading a car with poisons when there might not be any reason to do so may be a bit extreme.

Considering that bed bugs could be introduced to your car after being in a hotel, airplane or public transportation, the idea that the bud bugs you do have are dead from the strips doesn't keep you safe from the new ones.

where will your car be parked for that time? Remember that the extreme summer heat all through North America and even year round heat of the southern states can be enough to kill bed bugs in places like vehicles. The heat can reach up to 140 degrees inside vehicles for several hours at a time.
    Same goes for extreme cold found in the Northern states.

If your vehicle will be left unopened for long periods of time in either extreme condidions it may be enough to kill the bed bugs.

although this is no guarantee, vehicles left for days or weeks at a time in these extremes don't pose as a high risk place to pick up bed bugs.

3. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 11:46:21
    #

Login to Send PM

It won't be very hot or very cold while it is parked - estimate maybe -10 to +19 C.

Just worry about it. And won't have another chance like this when no one is using it, so considered it.

4. controlfreak

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 12:51:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the problem is airing the car properly after treating it with strips. Search for it in the forums. I remember it was discussed before and some used it for this purpose. I am planning to use them in a moving pod but i will need to buy a respirator to use when i open the pod a month later and start moving things out...

5. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 13:07:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that could work - drive home with respirator on - then could let it air out a few days or drive only with windows open. That would be funny if a police officer drove by me driving with my big respirator face on - lol.

6. controlfreak

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 13:36:53
    #

Login to Send PM

It may be an interesting experience if a cop stops you :). On a serious not though, i wouldn't sit in the car even with a respirator. The strips are fumigants so your skin, eyes etc will be affected. I think your seats will absorb some and will smell for a while so probably you would need to put a resp on to open the doors, remove the strips then put a battery op fan inside, leave the doors and windows open to air it for a looong time. For the pod it was suggested that i open it, remove the strips and let it air for couple of days. I am thinking of removing some items so that the airing is more efficient but i will go in with a resp and pull stuff out quickly and not stay there. I think driving a car without airing it properly would be bad for you even with a resp on... But i am no expert. You should call the company and ask for directions and talk to some professional about the side effects of the strips... My LL's PCO very casually suggest to use these things but from what i read they are serious business... Look for Tracy's posts about them. Apparently, it took her long time to air her room.

7. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 14:07:24
    #

Login to Send PM

It's hard to come up with an alternative for cars, besides steaming. Can't spray with alcohol. Can't spray with Cedarcide or Rest Easy as cats can't handle essential oils. Hey! Maybe I should spray it with "Kleen-Green Naturally" - I ordered some from Lice Squad. Maybe that is the safest bet. No idea what that does to leather etc. but my car is old so it wouldn't matter that much to me. The bottle says it is 'safe for pets' - I have to assume that includes cats. It is an enzyme based product - no pesticides.

Since I do have to drive the car right after opening it, or within a few hours, at the latest, maybe that would be better for me. Also, that same day or the next I will have to pick up my cat and dog so they would also be in the car (in their kennels, and could have the window open, but still.......).

Good idea?
    Thanks

8. controlfreak

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 14:13:30
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are not going to use it for a while and you are not sure if you have them and vikane is not an option, why don't you set up a bed bug beacon in your car to see if you catch anything first?

9. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 14:31:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm........good idea. I have two of them but was planning to leave them both set up at home.
    But that is a good idea.........maybe should just leave one at home.........
    Thanks

10. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 7:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I did the beacon in my car for 2 weeks - no catches. David James recommends to move it around every few days = front seat, floor trunk - or use two of them.

After that, you can put a passive monitor under the front seat after to monitor continuously.

I used the DDVP in one of may cars - it aired out well but I had it detailed anyway. I did not know it I had them in there but did not want to take any chances.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,336 posts in 50,175 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14