DDT is OK with Me

(12 posts)
  1. victimandveteran

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2012 6:02:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't done searches but I'm guessing this is a tired subject.

Well, it's about just over 3:30 and I'm tired too. Been through 5 apartments and over 30 hotels, extended stays etc. That's excluding nights, that's actual locations in L.A. and...

We're F'd. The only thing that makes me not move to some place South of North Dakota is these things don't transmit disease. If they did (and I have a staph infection scar due to a bite on the left side of my eye from staying at a place last March I won't mention in Hollywood, thank you so much (that location wasn't part of the estimate either)) we'd be in some serious, serious trouble.

Be skeptic, be real, whatever you want to call it. People aren't going to heat treat. They're not. Landlords are cheap as hell. Heat treating is a luxury. If it's not DDT it's the next newest DDT with a new name that's not been tested in public.

We're kidding ourselves. DDT went wrong cuz they were spraying it on crops and any college student they could find for lack of a better definition. I can naively argue it as a pesticide because the newer chemical alternatives aren't any less naive than any failed heart medication.

At least we know DDT worked. Hell, DE is bad for human health and it's sold like pixie dust online.

You can't heat treat Macy's in downtown NY, you can't heat treat the Rockefeller Center, and you can't heat treat the Los Angeles Library which I hear also has a TB scare now.

This crap has to end.

Thanks for reading my rant.

This shit...sucks. Tired of moving and itching for over a year and...whatever

Going to "bed".

Peace,
    -vav

2. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2012 6:24:12
    #

Login to Send PM

No, it didn't work. Like you say, you haven't done the searches, so I'll take a very quick canter through it.

DDT still works on malarial mosquitos, for which we should all be grateful. However, bed bugs are a totally different insect in both structure & behaviour. Bed bugs developed resistance to DDT very shortly after its introduction & it has now been observed that in places where DDT is used to control mosquitos, bed bugs are more active.

DDT is now an entirely useless method of combatting bed bugs.

3. blargg

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2012 6:35:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Koebner - 10 minutes ago  » 
    DDT is now an entirely useless method of combatting bed bugs.

...But Dursban isn't!

4. Redtape

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2012 6:35:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Found these videos last night and I think they should be mentioned since we're on the topic of DDT. Not really sure what to think of this guy... But i'll let you guys judge for yourselves.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Plugin

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2012 8:09:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

DDT stopped working on bedbugs in the UK in the 60's.

The ultimate solution to bedbugs is non chemical because they can't develop resistance to it.

However the current key issue with resistance is actually human resistance to taking universal integrated control.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2012 9:14:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Redtape

Thanks for posting the videos of Dr. Rutledge talking about DDT.

Dr. Rutledge states that there hasn't been a study on DDT resistance in bed bugs for the last fifty years...That is a really interesting statement that makes me question his grasp on the research... There have been several studies that have been performed in the last 50 years.

Here is one from 2008
    http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.3954/1523-5475-25.1.41

Here is another from the 80s
    http://newyorkvsbedbugs.org/2009/05/07/ddt-resistance-in-belo-horizonte-1985-1986/

DDT has a low acute toxicity... The health issues are cancers and birth defects that are associated with exposure.

Dr Rutledge states in the video that he is going to conduct his own research... perhaps he should start with a simple Google search.

It is clear to me that Dr Rutledge is primarily seeking to promote his own video... His conspiracy theory is laughable... His claim that the EPA outlawed DDT to reduce overpopulation because people were not dying quickly enough in the third world is not supported by any credible evidence.

We have good alternatives to DDT for malaria control, but many third world countries cannot afford the drug costs... The reason people are dying in large numbers is primarily due to economic inequity rather than the lack of effective treatment strategies or materials.

Use of DDT for indoor bed bug control and use of DDT to control outdoor mosquito populations to prevent deadly public health threats are two entirely separate issues.

7. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2012 9:18:21
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, I tried the audio.

Rutledge is an "anti-aging doctor"? Whose degree is in osteopathy? And who believes in karma? But people who disagree with him are "hippies"? Once again, I have to restrain myself or else shatter the house rules on swearing.

Y'know, whatever poor dear Howard "thinks" about PhDs, I'm a whole lot more prepared to believe doctors of entomology than an "anti-aging" osteopath when it comes to understanding what kills bed bugs.

And if Rutledge has "5 filing cabinets" full of DDT studies (thewhich he seems lamentably incapable of understanding) how has he not noticed that DDT is being used, right now, against mosquitos? Including indoor application; http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120903142949.htm

The Howard Stern Show; synidcated cretinism.

8. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2012 17:04:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Koebner
    Thanks for posting the link

The article states that some South African villages have been treated with DDT for 60 years.

It would be interesting to study the long term health outcomes for the applicators that would receive the highest levels of DDT exposure

Here is a link for an article written by Renee Corea on DDT that provides a historical perspective with links to original source material
    http://newyorkvsbedbugs.org/2008/04/12/no-ddt-thanks-were-good/

Read the linked articles if you want to be properly informed...

Or just hit the send button on a barrage of angry emails to Lisa Jackson at EPA... if you buy into the DDT drinking doctor's ignorant rant.

9. factsfromopinionsofmine

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 14 2014 13:06:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Whether ddt does or doesn't work, I'd still like to try it. I would sleep in a bathtub full of ddt every night. Gimme gimme gimme gimme!

10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 14 2014 13:34:28
    #

Login to Send PM

So do it then...

11. factsfromopinionsofmine

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 14 2014 14:55:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Fine, maybe I will! I put ddt on my LIST FOR SANTA! Nyaa-nyaa!

12. Freaked Fighter

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Dec 14 2014 15:06:01
    #

Login to Send PM

BD...ROFL I really needed that today, too.

NOT AN EXPERT but a survivor, twice. Read all the green stickies above, learn everything you can, and listen to the expert advice and your nightmare will end. You too can survive this!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,692 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82