Day 1, or 5?

(7 posts)
  1. webuggin

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 27 2012 23:18:26
    #

Login to Send PM

This is all very new to me so please bear with me.

A close friend of ours recently returned from hosteling / backpacking across Asia (foreshadowing). She stopped by a day after getting off the plane, and she had a backpack and yoga mat with her. She and my wife visited for a while, sat on the bed and discussed clothes, shoes, etc., you know, girl stuff. Friend then leaves, nice visit, good to see her, I think she got some sun, meditation is good for the soul, must get back to Asia...

A couple of days later I noticed a mosquito in the house, which reminded me, my wife had been nagging about an itchy bite. A day later I got bit, and not where I would expect a mosquito to be in the middle of the night. Coincidence, nothing more.

A couple of days later (now about day 5 or 6 since the friend visited), bites are a few per night, although I have only been bitten the one time, and this morning I CAUGHT A LITTLE BASTARD in the sheets. Not certain, but I'm pretty sure it was not an adult, kind of longish and narrow, red abdomen, clearish head, not round, and not like a large tick. Nonetheless, I spend my day doing the following: washing all bedding on hot, dry on hot, steam iron the entire mattress, vacuum the entire room, pull bed out from wall, inspect, vacuum, wipe, repeat, repeat, repeat. I did not see any evidence of any bugs, living or otherwise. I also dried all our jeans, which we keep in our night-stands next to the bed (now sealed in a bag). I also cleaned the night stands with the vacuum, again no evidence. Washed all dirty clothes, hot, hot dry.

So here I sit, uncertain of what to do next...and that is where you lovely people come in. Should I proceed like we have bed bugs, or wait for a couple of days and see what comes of it? I have not gone into the dresser, or the closet, or the rug (except vacuum), or the...or the...

Advice? Kind words? Stiff drink?

-- WeBuggin

2. RWhit

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 28 2012 6:51:29
    #

Login to Send PM

If it were me, (I have a pretty bad bed bug infestation currently) I could never be safe enough. 7 weeks ago my husband found a bed bug, and I couldntt find any evidence of bed bugs so I dismissed it for 6 weeks thinking it was nothing. By this point I have them everywhere, and I've spent almost $1500 trying to get rid of them. Diligence is probably your best bet. Call a proffesional who can do a free inspection to see how bad your situation is, then go from there. It sounds like you've already got a head start on vacuuming and home treatments, which imo will help with them spreading. Just make sure you treat your vacuum! Good luck!

3. webuggin

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 28 2012 9:45:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your note RWhit. On one hand I'm thinking that this lone hitch hiker managed it's way into our bed, and now it's all said and done. We did not get any bites (or sleep) last night.

We have asked the friend and she says she does not have bed bugs...

My apartment is in pretty good shape, no major cracks, etc., newish paint, hardwood floors that are well sealed, etc., so I'm tempted to give it a day or two and see if we have any bites or evidence. I will continue to vacuum daily, and change the sheets every few days, and as someone else in this forum put it 'kill lint balls upon sighting'.

I guess I'm thinking that given the limited exposure, and the fact that she says she does not have them, we might be able to get away without a PCO. I think as soon as we see evidence, or have any additional bites we will definitely make the call.

How does one treat a vacuum? I have a Miele which has a bag and two filters.

4. DreDay17

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 28 2012 10:19:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Your description of the bug does not really fit with bed bugs. If possible please post a pic here for a expert to id. Also you should read through the FAQ to know whether or not that was actually a bed bug or not.

Most people make the mistake of thinking bed bugs when it is really something else.

5. webuggin

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 28 2012 10:37:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Dre. I'm really hoping that it was not. Unfortunately I sent it down the drain immediately, so I suppose no way to be certain. Appearance of bites, timing, etc., all point toward BB. Once or twice my wife did have two bites right next to each other. The bug seemed to match the appearance of nymph photos I've seen online. I've read most of the FAQs, but I'll have another look today.

So you would suggest NOT calling in a PCO right away...

Thanks,

We(maynotbe)Buggin

6. paranoid BB freak

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 28 2012 20:09:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I would not solely rely on your friend's answer that she does not have bed bugs. She could have them and not know, if she does not react to bites. And if she has been toting that backpack around to various hostels and then to your house.... well anything is possible. I am not saying you do or don't have them, just that I would not consider yourself in the clear just because of her answer.

You can get some passive monitors and remain vigilent. Anything else you find, save and have a PCO confirm. You can always go the inspection route too, as someone mentioned, if the bites are becoming more frequent or numerous.

7. webuggin

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Aug 29 2012 14:30:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the replies. Another night gone with no bites. REALLY starting to wish I had kept the little bastard that was in the sheets, but oh well. We are starting to sleep better each night, which is quite a relief as well.

I will continue to vacuum and clean, as well as inspect every few days when I change the sheets. The more time that passes, the more I start to think that maybe, just maybe, it was a flea. We do have a dog, and it is certainly possible, although I've never seen a flea that large. From what I've read the consistency and size of the bites makes me think it was a BB. Hopefully I'm wrong.

WeBuggin

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com