Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Dawn dish soap and water=effective instant contact killer!

(16 posts)
  1. Tglock

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 27 2017 5:45:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found that dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle to be an effective and cheap instant contact killer and just as effective if not more than 91% rubbing alcohol. The active killing ingredient is likely to be Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 27 2017 6:34:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Absolutely. I have been saying this for years. It's more effective than most over the counter insecticide sprays and is actually what makes most of the oil based 25B products work.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 27 2017 7:19:52
    #

Login to Send PM

It's also a grease cutter and that helps make it through the waxy exocuticle.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Oct 31 2017 15:20:01
    #

Login to Send PM

How much Dawn do you use to parts of water? I'm assuming it does not kill eggs? How often do you need to spray it to use as part of treatment regimen? I already have interceptors, DE, mattress and box spring encasements, pillow encasements and mineral spirits sprayed. I haven't seen any signs of live bugs in a couple of days and have had no new bites in a week. I don't trust that they are obliterated that easily, though. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've washed and dried through two cycles all bedding, decorative pillows and contemplating doing all clothing. I have not seen any evidence anywhere other than a second-hand recliner that likely introduced them to my house and has since been thrown out and my bed. If Dawn helps, I'm all for it. I already use it to wash my dogs as it kills fleas.

5. Mawiwala

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 1 2017 6:30:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Perfect for flea bath with young kitten

6. Skeptical

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Nov 23 2018 18:27:27
    #

Login to Send PM

:-/
    Sorry, Dawn's not a contact killer.
    Refer to my post under "Bed bugs ACIDIC baking soda/water spray kills them". That's the page that came up when I was google browsing. After posting, I realized there may be a better thread for me to have posted that under.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Nov 24 2018 2:40:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Skeptical - 8 hours ago  » 
    Refer to my post under "Bed bugs ACIDIC baking soda/water spray kills them". That's the page that came up when I was google browsing. After posting, I realized there may be a better thread for me to have posted that under.

Yes, it is. It's used to break down oil when sea birds get covered in oil spills and it breaks down the waxy exocuticle of insects. Disruption of the waxy exocuticle allows for moisture to leave and dehydration to take affect. It takes time for dehydration to work. It's worked on yellow jackets and paper wasps.

8. Skeptical

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Nov 24 2018 14:49:02
    #

Login to Send PM

My apologies... on one count. When I say "contact killer" I am meaning kills on contact. I understand your use now - contact required to kill.

9. lsdrg706

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Nov 24 2018 15:27:30
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 12 hours ago  » 

Skeptical - 8 hours ago  » 

Yes, it is. It's used to break down oil when sea birds get covered in oil spills and it breaks down the waxy exocuticle of insects. Disruption of the waxy exocuticle allows for moisture to leave and dehydration to take affect. It takes time for dehydration to work. It's worked on yellow jackets and paper wasps.

A jar of Dawn water was my stink bug killer of choice when I first moved back into a more rural area of Pennsylvania. Five years ago there were a lot of them coming and going in the spring and fall. Every time I found one (had to have been at least 20 a day) I'd throw it in the jar of death, since squashing them wasn't an option! They always died in seconds. At the end of the season my kill jar would get quite full. The numbers have since thinned immensely (though I really don't know why) and now they just get flushed lol.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Nov 27 2018 10:59:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Skeptical - 2 days ago  » 
    My apologies... on one count. When I say "contact killer" I am meaning kills on contact. I understand your use now - contact required to kill.

I think we ruled out most of the "magic methods" a long time ago.

The common terms are "contact killer" for something that kills through liquid contact with the insected and "residual killer" for the products that carry on killing when the product has dried or when the product is applied dry.

While diluted detergent is the best thing you can spray at a bed bug you do have to spray it at all of the bed bugs and that is a time consuming task.

The time it takes to understand bed bugs and the skills that make a top bed bug exterminator do not exist in most people and the anxiety that they naturally trigger also makes it harder for people to make clear decisions. In fact after 10 years of doing my job I started to realise it was the psychological support that we needed to improve the most and we spend a lot of time building resources that help in that area.

However, it not very effective against a dispersed or heavy infestation during which situations the priority needs to be kept on avoidance of spreading the issue to others.

David

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Nov 27 2018 11:14:32
    #

Login to Send PM

My index finger meets this criteria, and has a 100% success rate.

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Nov 27 2018 16:30:03
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 5 hours ago  » 

I think we ruled out most of the "magic methods" a long time ago.
    The common terms are "contact killer" for something that kills through liquid contact with the insected and "residual killer" for the products that carry on killing when the product has dried or when the product is applied dry.
    While diluted detergent is the best thing you can spray at a bed bug you do have to spray it at all of the bed bugs and that is a time consuming task.
    The time it takes to understand bed bugs and the skills that make a top bed bug exterminator do not exist in most people and the anxiety that they naturally trigger also makes it harder for people to make clear decisions. In fact after 10 years of doing my job I started to realise it was the psychological support that we needed to improve the most and we spend a lot of time building resources that help in that area.
    However, it not very effective against a dispersed or heavy infestation during which situations the priority needs to be kept on avoidance of spreading the issue to others.
    David

Exactly. Where have you been?

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 14:18:10
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 21 hours ago  » 
    Where have you been?

Literally learning to walk again. Turns out it takes a little time in your 40's.

David

14. Rick_C123

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Dec 17 2018 10:24:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I already sprayed my empty rental apartment carpet with a solution of 1 part laundry detergent and 10 parts water before running the carpet shampoo machine (Rug Doctor MaxPro) with scalding hot water.

Found many dead bed bugs floating in the waste water tank after they had been scrubbed and sucked out of the carpet.

I think I may add Dawn to the mixture for the next go around. Get that carpet squeaky clean!

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Dec 17 2018 10:34:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Any detergent will do, we are not brand specific.

David

16. Rick_C123

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Dec 17 2018 11:25:24
    #

Login to Send PM

But Dawn (or any DISH soap) would probably do a better job in cutting thru the oily/waxy cuticle.

My reasoning is on one of those "Hints from Heloise" tips where you rub some dish soap on grease stains on your clothes before you throw them in the wash with regular laundry detergent. It does seem to be more effective in lifting the grease than just regular laundry soap.

And (according to marketing) it's kinda formulated to get grease off dishes.

Dish soap or laundry soap - my waste water tank is filled with drowned bed bugs. A squeaky-clean bed bug, is a dead bed bug!

Anything to INCREASE MY KILLING POWER pleases me!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

283,867 posts in 47,243 topics over 145 months by 20,836 of 21,126 members. Latest: pinkfoxes, Tomwilson28, aeb19