(10 posts)
  1. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jan 19 2017 21:41:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,
    I want to get one of your passive monitors for one of our couches. I may have introduced a bed bug into my house about 3 months ago. My husband was napping on the couch until a few weeks ago. He doesn't know of any bites so I don't know if he is a non-responder or there are no bugs in there, hope the latter. Where should I put the passive monitor? On the bottom of the couch below the pillow where his head would have been or in the middle of the couch? Or, does it not make sense to put on now that he is not sleeping there any more? I told him not to nap there so the bugs, if any, would leave the couch and try to find us in bed. Does that make any sense or should I tell him to start napping there again? Thanks for your advice.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jan 20 2017 11:06:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The best place for a couch install is shown in the image below:

undersofa by David Cain, on Flickr

Given the time frame however I would say that unless he spends a lot of time kipping on the couch I would not classify this installation as essential.

The monitor in your bedroom should have been installed for enough time that an all clear indicates not bed bugs.

I would advise that you both get back to a normal routine and would not advise inspection of your monitor any more frequently than weekly while you remain concerned but after 3 clear weeks would encourage you to step that back to monthly or following any symptoms.

Hope that makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jan 20 2017 13:12:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. He hasn't slept on it for a while, but it is on the first floor of the house, which is where I might have introduced the bed bug so I was concerned. If there are bed bugs in the couch, would they eventually go out if noone is sleeping there - like in about much time, if so?
    As to my bed, I didn't put the monitor on until last Sunday, since I was confused about it. I will post a picture to make sure I put it correctly - checked this morning and so far is clear. Since it does not have an encasement and my bed isn't isolated, do I wait for 14 days for the all clear, instead of 21 days? We have another bed which someone sleeps in every night so I guess I should put a monitor on that too.
    Thanks for all your help.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jan 20 2017 13:28:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As the bed is not isolated 7 days all clear is a good sign and 14 days is all clear, i.e. you do t have bed bugs from prior to install.

Yes the second bed would be a good install site because it's occupied and you want to detect quickly.

David

5. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jan 20 2017 13:46:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I will buy some more monitors. So, if my husband doesn't nap on the couch any more, will bed bugs, if in there, leave looking for food?

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jan 20 2017 13:49:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As stated in many many places throughout this site when an area becomes unoccupied any bed bugs present there will start to migrate through to areas which are occupied. Invariably as they become hungry and detect food in other areas.

However, at this stage you need to be preparing yourself for the reality is that this does not appear to be bed bugs.

David

7. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jan 20 2017 14:09:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. I'm trying to do that with your help.

8. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jan 21 2017 13:16:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,
    As to the couch, I saw you posted the following in another posting:
    "Once a room is treated with chemicals its essential that it remains occupied. This is because without someone being in the room the bed bugs will simply wait where they are hiding and not come out until they detect food.

If you friend has been entering the room to collect things this can be enough of a signal for any waiting bed bugs to know that food is nearby and eventually they will seek ways to get out of the room."

Would this apply also to a couch like mine which has not been chemically treated? Would the bed bugs, were there any, just wait until my husband lays there again? Or would they seek food elsewhere once they noticed there was no longer food there?

Thanks.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jan 21 2017 13:27:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi FayeState,

That information is relevant to that persons issue and circumstances and not yours.

I don't feel that engaging with you in speculative discussions will do you any good in the short or long term. I am happy to answer questions that are specific to your situation as I have done above but I don't consent to being drawn into making your anxiety any worse.

I think the healthiest thing you can do at this stage is to spend more time out and about and less time online.

David

10. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jan 21 2017 13:31:34
    #

Login to Send PM

OK - I understand.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88