Daughter keeps getting bit, but can't find bugs

(6 posts)
  1. spytfyre13

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Feb 10 2019 10:35:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a mess. We had bed bugs this time two years ago. Back then it was my teen who got bit. I pulled her mattress up and found one live bug. We got it and bagged it and had an exterminator come out. He also found a live bug in my now 8 year old's bed but she wasn't getting bit. He wanted $1500. That was too expensive for us so my friend who used to be an exterminator came out and sprayed our rooms,etc. We put covers on every bed. We were fine after that for two years up until last month, same month my teen got bit two years ago. My 8 year old started getting bites on her hand. I was hoping it was something else but then about a week or so later she had a ton of red rashes on her neck and bites on her hands. I know that means we have multiple bugs. I took her mattress and all apart couldn't find anything. I also bear in mind have been using the D. earth the past two years and spread that crap everywhere. I can't figure out how it didn't stop this infestation. Eventually I had an exterminator come out about two weeks ago and he couldn't find anything either. But my daughter keeps getting bit. We took her box spring and threw it out. She's been sleeping on her mattress on the floor. THis morning she woke up with 8 bites on ehr hip. EIGHT. This is unreal. My friend is supposed to come tomorrow and he's going to take a look for us. We can't afford thousands of dollars to try and get rid of these bastards. I'm distraught. We wasted 5k on a fraudulent contractor back over the summer to stop our leaking basement and it's worse. I don't have the money to sink into bed bugs. WE have to get the basement fixed and numerous other issues with our home. Please help me I don't know what to do and my poor daughter. Also the other night at work at 5 AM, my husband was using the bathroom and a live bed bug was crawling down his arm almost to his hand. Then that day before, my daughter found a bug on her coat at school. She thinks anyway. She described it as brown and round. I'm a mess. I can't go through this. I work 5 days a week and don't have time to tear everyone's rooms apart. At this time my daughter is the only one getting bitten.

2. spytfyre13

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Feb 10 2019 13:59:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Can anyone give me any advice at all? I'm a mess. I have a ton of issues with my home as it is to add this back to our plate.

3. SalsaVince

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Feb 10 2019 15:45:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Diatomaceous earth will help eliminate an infestation along with other measures but it won't stop them from getting in your home. It can take several days or a week to kill them. Also, it has to be applied very thinly or they will just walk around it. If you do have bedbugs, which hopefully your friend can confirm, you need to address the source of the problem or you will just get them again. If your husband and daughter are seeing them, maybe the source of them was actually your own home and not their work and school. If not, they need to take precautions so it's not to bring them home with them. Try not to worry so much about the cost at this point. Don't assume that you're going to have a terrible infestation that take months and thousands of dollars to resolve. Just stay calm and evaluate the situation to decide how to best address it.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  4. spytfyre13

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Feb 10 2019 18:03:21
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 2 hours ago  » 
    Diatomaceous earth will help eliminate an infestation along with other measures but it won't stop them from getting in your home. It can take several days or a week to kill them. Also, it has to be applied very thinly or they will just walk around it. If you do have bedbugs, which hopefully your friend can confirm, you need to address the source of the problem or you will just get them again. If your husband and daughter are seeing them, maybe the source of them was actually your own home and not their work and school. If not, they need to take precautions so it's not to bring them home with them. Try not to worry so much about the cost at this point. Don't assume that you're going to have a terrible infestation that take months and thousands of dollars to resolve. Just stay calm and evaluate the situation to decide how to best address it.

I know it's from our house because my daughter keeps getting bitten. It's horrible. And the infestation has to be bad as it's been going on a month and she gets bit sometimes in multiple locations. Earlier this week it was a single bite on her finger and then one under her arm near her elbow. The ones she had a few weeks ago she had an allergic reaction to. But we can't afford to spend thousands and then not get rid of them. We have enough on our plate with everything that's wrong with our home. This was the last thing we needed. We already dealt with this bs 2 years ago. It's debilitating. I'm depressed. It's disgusting. I'm ashamed and it's embarassing. My house is not cluttered or dirty. I know clean people get it, too, but it's still gross. I was already quoted $1500 two years ago by another company and the one I had come out two weeks ago said $350 per room plus $60 for the professional encasements. It's ridiculous!!

5. critterbug

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 11 2019 14:19:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I haven't been on this site in years but wanted to reply. You have to be way more thorough in your search than just the bed components. Bed bugs will hide anywhere: baseboard cracks, behind hung pictures (anything hung or taped to the wall near the bed), outlets and switches, cracks in plaster, seams in wallpaper, etc. If there is any tiny crevice they can squeeze into, that's where they will be.

I'm an apartment manager and have to clean out vacant apartments from time to time. If I find bed bug evidence, it's usually behind things taped to the wall, or in the blinds brackets, or ceiling corners. Trust me, these bugs are pervasive precisely because they know how to hide. If they were easy to find and treat, it would not be a national epidemic.

6. spytfyre13

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 11 2019 15:47:16
    #

Login to Send PM

critterbug - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sorry, I haven't been on this site in years but wanted to reply. You have to be way more thorough in your search than just the bed components. Bed bugs will hide anywhere: baseboard cracks, behind hung pictures (anything hung or taped to the wall near the bed), outlets and switches, cracks in plaster, seams in wallpaper, etc. If there is any tiny crevice they can squeeze into, that's where they will be.
    I'm an apartment manager and have to clean out vacant apartments from time to time. If I find bed bug evidence, it's usually behind things taped to the wall, or in the blinds brackets, or ceiling corners. Trust me, these bugs are pervasive precisely because they know how to hide. If they were easy to find and treat, it would not be a national epidemic.

I know about that. We had two before two years ago. But the exterminator checked around her windows and the floor boards and such. We have checked her dresser. We can't find them. My friend is supposed to come help me but I fear how bad the infestation is now that it's been a month my daughter is getting bit. I'm not paying thousands of dollars to get rid of them either. I hate this bull crap.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,541 posts in 47,911 topics over 148 months by 21,107 of 21,446 members. Latest: nyc-bedbugs, needhelp1111, urka1234