Daily News article on bed bugs in movie theaters and other locales

(21 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 14:04:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Riding the coattails of the Hollister/Abercrombie and Fitch week, the Daily News points out that you're more likely to encounter bed bugs in a public place where you sit down (e.g. a movie theater, cafe, library, public bench, etc.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 14:22:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Aaaarrrrgghhh!!

3. MyWorstFear

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 14:25:51
    #

Login to Send PM

That's the sad truth of why *I* am not going to the movies today...however, my stubborn mule head-n-the-sand *husband* just left for the movies without me.

4. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 14:36:59
    #

Login to Send PM

oh man, and tomorrow i need to accompany my mom and dad to a hospital for some tests...Ugggh...oh well, i'll just have to be careful and not touch anything...and stand up all the time.

5. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 17:51:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't believe how much this has changed our lives. We're going to be afraid to go everywhere. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

6. diebbsdie

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 20:53:49
    #

Login to Send PM

i refuse to be prevented from going places because of these little monsters.
    if i go to a movie theatre, i spray my seat with alcohol. one exterminator told me this would keep them away. does anyone know if that's accurate?

also, i usually strip and change into houseclothes as soon as i get home from anywhere, then place my street clothes into ziploc bags. once they're in the ziploc bag i can packtite them, steam them, or launder them.

so far this is working for me. have to say though, life was once so much sweeter. i'm still hopeful for a cure to this madness. now that summer is hear i'm constantly asking myself, "mosquito or bed bug?" it's maddening.

7. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 21:04:47
    #

Login to Send PM

i think the alcohol will kill the bugs it hits directly, but i think that once the alcohol dries it gives no more protection against the bugs like a barrier would. You could always keep spraying yourself with alcohol during the movie...but what if you get pulled over by the cops on the way home and you smell like alcohol....the little critters may cause you to spend a night in the pokey. Better carry bail money!

but seriously, i'm going to do exactly what you say.. the moment i get in from the hospital tomorrow i will strip down at the door and PackTite those things, including shoes.

8. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 22:28:36
    #

Login to Send PM

The public, especially w/o awareness on how contageous bed bugs are...are all sitting ducks.

Been free almost 3 yrs now. Did not get them from travel, having dinner, buying used furniture and I don't live in/near the city. Got them from a family member who accidently brought the bugs over for a visit.

Three years later and with some financial help from family we're finally get a new living room set for my family. (YAY!!!!!!!!)

I go out daily and do things with my three little ones like normal but you couldn't pay me $1000 to go to a movie theatre with them right now. No way. It's absolutely impossible to take successful precautions with little children in that situation, nor do I feel it's normal/healthy to make them do so.

We'll be sticking to videos and luckily there's still a Drive-In nearby where we live. Great night out for the family and we just come home, shower and off to bed w/o all trying to "strip" in the laundry room. (normal? not.)

9. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 9:04:02
    #

Login to Send PM

diebbsdie - 12 hours ago  » 
    have to say though, life was once so much sweeter. i'm still hopeful for a cure to this madness. now that summer is hear i'm constantly asking myself, "mosquito or bed bug?" it's maddening.

The mosquito/bed bug thing is what's driving me nuts right now - I just don't know!

10. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 9:19:17
    #

Login to Send PM

mcs..

but you know that mosquito bites only last a certain amount of time and bb reactions last much longer than mosquito bites.

Paulaw919...and be careful about the new furniture you're buying. Check it well and be sure that no little visitors hitched a ride in the delivery truck used to deliver your furniture (because some of the same trucks are used to remove old furniture and mattresses from other customers and some of those customers may have had bed bugs). I was thinking of buying another sofa but i hate the idea of the delivery men (who may have been at bb infested homes before coming to mine), the truck (for the above reasons) and the actual furniture (that may be infested).

Well...wish me well...i 'm off to the hospital to sit for hours to wait for my dear parents to have their examinations! I WILL BE STRONG and I WILL NOT BRING HOME BUGS. That's my mantra.

11. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 9:44:29
    #

Login to Send PM

GOOD LUCK deedle....

Got the "mosquito bites" Sunday so conceivably could still have them as it is only Tuesday. Pushing it, though, I know. Although I do have a tendency to be allergic to things, which can make it last longer.

do black carpet beetles look REALLY black, or can they look dark brown?

12. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 11:24:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Deetle, thanks. I'll be checking the best I can I guess. I think the chances of me finding a rouge bug is slim though. Yes, we can get them anywhere and delivery of new furniture is one of them. Couldn't afford replacement until now and it's been a LONG time. Hoping it comes wrapped in plastic! My kids deserve the risk and putting it in God's hands. I must admit I may be affraid to sit on it in any outside clothing for a while! lol!! I can see it now... I invite some one over...come see me new couch! Hey...but don't sit on it!!!! lmao!

On a hopeful note, got it from jcpenny.com and though I read of some one getting infested furniture from them...they have supposedly have the furniture delivered straight from the manufacturer. To me it hopefully equals less risk. I'll let ya know how it goes in 3-4 months after I feel comfortable having a room full of cushioned furniture and new tables!

You'll do fine at the hospital. Go for walks, get coffee, visit the maternity ward to see the cute babies instead of sitting in the waiting room for hours.

Carpet beetles...google them. they can be dark brown, almost black, or speckled in different shades of brown, tan and black. In the larvea stage they look totally different. Most mature beetles that I know of have a shell with a line down the middle. Hope that helps.

13. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 13:00:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting, Paula. I found and killed two dark brown beetles (with a line down the middle of the shell) in our house yesterday - I know they werent Japanese beetles because they had no green and were not shiny. It didn't even occur to me that they might be carpet beetles until now. Wishing I had thought to take a picture. I'll have to keep an eye out for more.

14. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 15:36:40
    #

Login to Send PM

when a looking for bugs it's amazing on how many teeny critters we find living with us we never knew were there. Most are totally harmless.

15. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 18:22:21
    #

Login to Send PM

How can you spray your movie seat with alcohol if it is fabric? And what about the ride home in the car?

16. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 20:13:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everybody...

i think i made it back from the hospital without any bugs although after about 2 hours i was getting sort of itchy and thought i felt something crawling on my leg....yyeeeehcchh...Thankfully mom came out with GREAT news (thank you God) and dad came out with okay news (thank you God).

I stripped as soon as i got home and stepped into the shower as i started up the PackTite!!

Hey mcs...is it possible you have a reaction to carpet beetle larvae hairs? If you see some beetles, look really closely and see if you see some of the larvae...they can be dark brown or blackish and have a bunch of little hairs sticking out. Google the carpet beetle larvae and see what they look like.

17. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 20:19:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Deedle- I think it's unlikely, but I realized today I've been finding all these beetles in the house. my mother insists they are just Japanese beetles but they aren't shiny, you know? If I see another I'll take a picture. Yesterday I was on the phone with a friend and only half paying attention so once I realized it wasn't a bed bug, I just tossed it.

Paying attention. any new bites and I am ordering Bed Bug Beacon for proof to show to argue for a PCO.

And YAY about your parents!

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 0:36:43
    #

Login to Send PM

diebbsdie - 1 day ago  » 
    i refuse to be prevented from going places because of these little monsters.
    if i go to a movie theatre, i spray my seat with alcohol. one exterminator told me this would keep them away. does anyone know if that's accurate?

I am not aware of alcohol having any repellent qualities.

Spraying the seat will kill only bed bugs sitting on the seat. Do you see any? It's unlikely, so unlikely to help.

Besides, spraying anything in public in this day and age can get you in trouble. It could be alarming to others ("If you see something, say something!")

I would recommend a small maglite type flashlight, to glance behind and around the seat.

The bottom line is you can't be entirely sure your movie theater seat (Broadway seat, restaurant seat, coffee shop seat, subway seat, office chair, doctor's lobby chair, etc.) is not infested.

You can try and avoid sitting in a very infested setting by looking for signs.

And I do occasionally go to movies, but I don't sit in the wooden seats in the subway stations. We all have to choose what makes us comfortable.

19. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 0:45:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I just shaved my head and refuse to wear clothes. Now I know for sure Im not carrying them from place to place. Its also a great way to beat the heat.

20. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 5:31:46
    #

Login to Send PM

bushbugg - 4 hours ago  » 
    I just shaved my head and refuse to wear clothes. Now I know for sure Im not carrying them from place to place. Its also a great way to beat the heat.

LOL....thanks for my first laugh of the day!

21. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 5:44:40
    #

Login to Send PM

bushbugg - 4 hours ago  » 

LOL!! Outstanding. Just leaves you open to bites in awkward places.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies