(13 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 26 2009 15:48:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Cut off posts in forum threads

Problems have been reported with cut-off posts from users viewing the site with Internet Explorer 6, IE 5, and very old versions of AOL. The site does not display properly in these browsers.

The site does display posts properly in Firefox, and installing it will solve the problem for many of you. The site also should work fine in Safari, and recent versions of IE (IE 7, IE8) and AOL, and many other browsers.

(Using a newer browser will also probably help with a LOT of other sites, since most web developers are not trying to be compatible with IE 6, IE 5 or really old versions of AOL.)

I know some of you work in jobs or go to school where you can only use IE, but so far I have been unable to make the forums work well in those old IE versions. Try to get your system upgraded to a more recent browser, whether that's IE7 or IE8, or Firefox, or another.

Private Messages

This is an entirely unrelated complaint: some users have complained of private messages which have been cut off.

There is a limit to the length of a private message. If the message is very long, it may be cut off. Let the sender know about this, and tell them they can copy the missing part of the message from their "sent" mail.

Another problem with private messages is if the sender does not include a subject (title) to the PM, it will be impossible for the receiver to open it. Again, please let the sender know -- they can copy from sent mail, and resend.

I apologize for any inconvenience these issues cause. If you have concerns, please use the form here to contact me.

This post was updated 1/2011 to reflect changes since it was originally posted.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. wigginonbugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 29 2009 19:28:11
    #

Login to Send PM

DANG IT!!!! What are we bacwards computer people who don't have decent systems 'spose to do NOW??? LOL! This is bad...I need an upgrade!!! WAAAAAA!!!!!!

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 29 2009 20:59:35
    #

Login to Send PM

wiggin,

Sorry.

I am still trying to fix it.

4. Pointer

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 30 2009 19:14:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the latest version of Firefox installed and my PMs (both sent and received) are being cut off.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 30 2009 22:55:01
    #

Login to Send PM

pointer, as I said above,

Also, we have noticed a few PMs which have been cut off. They are sent but when the sender checks the sent mail copy, they cannot see the entire message. This problem does not seem to be caused by browsers, and I am trying to fix it also.

Will do that as soon as I can.

And yes, it is true that the sent copy shows a cut-off.

Can you confirm how many lines were cut off? And how long was the message? (Count lines and spaces between lines.)

Thanks!

6. Pointer

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 31 2009 10:34:15
    #

Login to Send PM

It was a fairly long message. About 30 lines of the sent message are still showing. I'm guessing about 10 were cut off.

7. badbadbedbugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2009 15:11:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I`m new here, but can only read about 3-4 lines of text on each post. Am I doing something wrong?

8. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2009 15:22:21
    #

Login to Send PM

It is an Internet explorer thing. Get Firefox and the problem is solved.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2009 18:40:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Firefox, Safari, many other browsers will work.

Also, up to date browsers by Internet Explorer or AOL should work. Updates should be free if your computer is up to them.

What does not work is IE5 or 6, or old versions of AOL. I am continually trying to fix this, but it is hard to get assistance. If you use these older browsers, you will likely have problems with other sites besides this one.

10. Phillies2002

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 10:45:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Am I correct that if someone sends you a PM without a subject you cannot open their message? I received one but I have nothing to click on because there's no subject. I'm on deadline for an article and need help opening it if it's possible. Thanks so much.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 10:46:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Phillies2002 - 20 seconds ago  » 
    Am I correct that if someone sends you a PM without a subject you cannot open their message? I received one but I have nothing to click on because there's no subject. I'm on deadline for an article and need help opening it if it's possible. Thanks so much.

Yes-- PMs need a title or you can't open them. It's annoying, but that's how the software works. You can ask the person to resend it and they can copy from their sent mail.

12. jjakk

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 15 2011 18:22:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi' NBOM'

re your message >>>>

Also, we have noticed a few PMs which have been cut off. They are sent but when the sender checks the sent mail copy, they cannot see the entire message. This problem does not seem to be caused by browsers, and I am trying to fix it also.

Will do that as soon as I can.
    And yes, it is true that the sent copy shows a cut-off.
    Can you confirm how many lines were cut off? And how long was the message? (Count lines and spaces between lines.)<<<

You asked if we could inform you re our 'PM's -how long they were and how much was cut off. Today I sent one that was about 80 lines with a paragraph of about 20 lines and spaces cut off. Amazing to me how you do notice these glitches and immediately address them. I commend your commitment and add my appreciation for all you are doing for us here!

On another note regarding PM's, I wondered why when we send a PM and receive a reply, the original message does not come back with the reply and we need to reread our sent message to refer back to what we wrote. I did a search but did not find anything on this.
    Thanks !

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 16 2011 10:26:42
    #

Login to Send PM

jjakk,

Thanks for your response.

I did lengthen the PM message length, but there is a limit so if you are sending a long message, I suggest breaking it into parts.

As for the original message not being copied, that's just how the software works right now. If options are available in future, I will try and make it happen.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325