Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Cruise ships?

(17 posts)
  1. eek

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 14 2011 21:14:52
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I love to cruise. I'm wondering if the BB risk on a ship is better, worse, or similar to that of a hotel room?

2. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 15 2011 7:47:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I think there is less of a risk because cruise cabin occupants usually stay longer than hotel room occupants. Lower turnover should mean lower chances.

3. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 15 2011 7:52:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Another point I've seen made is about the chemicals used. These ships are all registered out of foreign countries, who probably don't have laws about the chemicals, like we do here in the U.S. So, they may be able to get rid of them easier, but you may be exposed to chemicals that could harm you.

4. BugsInTO

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 15 2011 10:19:24
    #

Login to Send PM

You can now report cruise ships on the Bedbug Registry. This tells me there must have been a demand for this option.

I wonder how they would work out consistent access to professional experienced PCO's to do the treatments. Logistics would be challenging - the ship moving from port to port, country to country, and not staying very long in one spot.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 15 2011 14:17:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, but we've come across lots of complaints about bed bugs in cruise ships. Inspect your cabin carefully, as you would a hotel room.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 15 2011 15:16:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, but we've come across lots of complaints about bed bugs in cruise ships.

I talked with a colleague that makes treatments on cruise ships in Italy... it's a big, big problem...

7. bugbuster

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 15 2011 18:45:28
    #

Login to Send PM

One of the big problems with encountering bed bugs on a cruise ship - I would think - is that there's nowhere else to go. If the cruise is completely booked, you're stuck, unless you make the decision to jump ship. It's not like you can go to a different hotel down the block.

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 15 2011 23:33:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Another issue to consider is how small a typical stateroom is, which puts your luggage much closer to the bed and for longer than an overnight stay at a hotel.

And remember, while not being bit is a short term concern, OT could actually be more important to keep the bugs from coming home with you.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  9. eek

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 9:35:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question, Cilecto, but what is OT?

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 10:28:35
    #

Login to Send PM

"it could actually…"

11. eek

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 14:40:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I wonder if the choice of stateroom makes a difference? We usually book a cheapy interior stateroom below deck but now I'm wondering if we would be better off in a larger, balcony room above deck? Or would it make any difference?

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 15:30:19
    #

Login to Send PM

eek - 48 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks. I wonder if the choice of stateroom makes a difference? We usually book a cheapy interior stateroom below deck but now I'm wondering if we would be better off in a larger, balcony room above deck? Or would it make any difference?

Bed bugs are a pest of exposure.
    All kinds of people are exposed to bed bugs.

Therefore, a nicer room can have bed bugs just like a cheaper room. This is true of hotel rooms as well as staterooms in cruise ships.

I don't think it's a case of nicer rooms being cared for more by the cruiseline (or hotel). If they realize bed bugs are a problem, then they'll know they don't want them in the cheap rooms any more than they want them in the best ones.

13. eek

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 15:45:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response, Nobugsonme. I guess I didn't make myself very clear. What I meant was, would bedbugs be more liable to be found in the interior rooms below deck (no windows, darker) than in the brighter balcony rooms upstairs? Also, I was wondering about the balcony rooms because someone mentioned the fact that cruise rooms are small (harder to distance your luggage from the bed).

Sorry I wasn't clear!

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 15:55:12
    #

Login to Send PM

eek - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the response, Nobugsonme. I guess I didn't make myself very clear. What I meant was, would bedbugs be more liable to be found in the interior rooms below deck (no windows, darker) than in the brighter balcony rooms upstairs?

People who have bed bugs staying in the room previously could have brought bed bugs into any of those rooms. (So could maintenance staff.) Bed bugs won't have fled the lighter rooms for the darker rooms. They will live and bite in the lighter rooms just fine.

Also, I was wondering about the balcony rooms because someone mentioned the fact that cruise rooms are small (harder to distance your luggage from the bed).

It's possible that having a suitcase further from the bed may make it less likely for bed bugs to come from the luggage to the room, or from the room to the luggage. Smaller cramped rooms are harder to search (at least it feels that way to me -- so many nooks and crannies -- I am thinking of the Amtrak sleeper I tried to search).

But in the end I would not count on this to make a big difference. I'm not an expert. Experts may have other ideas, and I am open to them!

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 15:58:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Note: here's an old post on the blog with a letter from a reader who experienced bed bugs on a cruise ship and did know how to search for and find them-- which led to the "where are they going to move us?" problem.

16. eek

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 16:58:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the post! We will be sure to inspect our cabin carefully. I have checked tripadvisor and similar sites and there are no mentioned reports for our ship. Fingers crossed!

17. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 21:05:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Check on http://www.cruisecritic.com. I hate to tell you this, but almost all the ships have had at least one case of bed bugs at this point.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,506 posts in 49,276 topics over 152 months by 21,596 of 22,019 members. Latest: tlc6225, Laurenke, elco1996