Cross Contamination from Travel

(6 posts)
  1. Montanamom

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jul 29 2019 20:58:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello All, thanks so much for this resource!

My family recently stayed in a hotel in London that had bed bugs. We didn’t realize it till our second night but the damage was done to me and my husband. Somehow my son and daughter escaped relatively unharmed. Or so we thought. My daughter had about three bites that showed up the day we checked out. But now, a week after check-out, she has about 20/25 bites that have flared up.

When we returned home I thought I took all the right precautions to prevent contamination. We came into the house naked! And I left all the luggage on the drive way. The next day I brought in our clothes wrapped in a sheet and put them immediately into the laundry for two washes and an 80 minute dry. I put our shoes in the dryer as well for 80 minutes.

As I was unpacking I saw a dead bug in my hat and threw that hat away in the garage!

I’ve done all the laundry. And I put the contaminated luggage in trash bags and have left those outside and will take them to dry cleaning at some point.

My gut tells me it would be really slim chances that bugs got carried in but.... these flared up bites on my daughter are freaking me out. For the past couple nights she has slept with me and I have not had any new bites flare up, I had so many that I even marked them to keep track of any new ones.

Is anyone familiar with delayed reactions? What makes more sense, a delayed reaction or contamination/infestation in my home?

We returned to our house on Thursday (we stayed at a separate hotel once we found out - so checked out of bug hotel last Monday), so we’ve been home now for about 4 days.

2. Georgieee

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jul 29 2019 21:15:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I have read a few stories of people who stayed somewhere infested and had new bites popping up for about 2 weeks. They were on to it early and quarantined like you and didnt bring any bugs home with them. Don't panic yet, most likely delayed reaction!

3. Tim m

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jul 29 2019 22:50:02
    #

Login to Send PM

In 2017 I had a mild case of bed bugs and I would wake up with bites every other day but my wife would take weeks to show signs and when she did it looked like chicken pox.

4. Montanamom

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jul 29 2019 23:02:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the feedback already. I’m praying for delayed reaction!

If though it isn’t. Are there any measures I can take to prevent an infestation or keep it small?

5. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jul 30 2019 0:39:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Make them a cozy home with a passive monitors. If there are any, they will move there and you can check it. The delayed reaction is more likely in my eyes but better safe than sorry. I don‘t think that your daughter just get 20 bites over night and never before. That would mean there are more bugs than one what is highly unlikely with your precautions. I guess she already was bitten in the hotel.

6. Montanamom

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jul 30 2019 15:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, @Mawiwala your advice and deduction on the bites is extremely helpful!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,818 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen