Creating A Sealing Bag With Painters Plastic

(7 posts)
  1. Ninetysbabyent

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 23:14:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone I am fairly new to this blog and I've been stalking it, researching and getting ideas and information to treat my bed bug problem.

Back story: I live in an apartment and I recently found out that I have bed bugs after bringing my white encased matress into the living room, sleeping on it on top of a rug and carpeted floor, and picking it up noticed a bed beg in the corner of it. Now for the summer, because the AC in my room was broke I started sleeping in the living room on my couch. Now I already know how the bed bugs came here, my mom was moving out of her home and brought some of her things and her matress into my spare bedroom (2 bedroom apartment, the guest room is empty, I made it a game room, it only has electronics and a treadmill in it) Well since I figure hey it's my moms bed, instead of sleeping on the couch, I brought my moms matress into the living room and slept on it for a night. The bed was left on the floor for a while abt 24hrs. Mind you this was in August. So the next day after I got off work, i decided to to pick the bed up and clean up my living room, and I seen something at the top of the matress it was a bed bug! We've had them very bad back in 2012 when I was still living with my mom so I know exactly how they look, the casings, the droppings etc... And after investigating her bed, it was clear to see that her bed has had them for some time bc of the black dots around the edging and me seeing tiny BB's.. So I immediately called her going off for bringing the matress into my home without notifying me of the BB's and told her to come help me throw it out. (she told me she swore she never got bit and didn't know, and I believed her bc even me finding out I have them, I know that I've had to have gotten bit but I don't feel it nor does bites give me any reaction) so After trashing it, I vacuumed a lot and sprayed everything and HOPED that they didn't spread, but me knowing the matress was on the rug for 24hrs, I kind of knew that they did and was in denial that they traveled that far... So I went back to camping out on the couch and then the Beginning of septemer I decided hey, I'll bring my own matress into the living room and sleep on it instead of the couch.... As stated at the beginning of my story, I ended up seeing one after picking up my encased BB covered matress off the floor, and just to be safe and make sure I didn't have them in my room, I went in my room where the box spring, headboard, and wooden panels under the box spring are, I did a thorough check and there are no BB's in my room at all! And Being as tho I've spent the last 3 months in my living room. So then I went to check the couch I was sleeping on too and what do u know, I seen 2 adult BB's along the seam of the couch! I looked under the bottom of the couch where the thin black cloth thing is, as there was a couple of dry casings, it didn't seem like there was much activity but I am very aware that they multiply fast!

So let me just stop rambling and get down to the question, now I want to deal my couch and love seat into their own separate bags and put a ddvp strip in each bag, seal it off for about 10 days and hope that the couches are BB free. Now I've looked at the reviews of couch covers and stuff all over and on Amazon and basically my couch is too big to fit into one of those couch bags so I figured I can make my own out of painters plastic. So I went to Home Depot, brought some painters plastic 6mil thick, 12ft wide by 100ft long and some gorilla tape. Now I already have the nuvan strips so all I have to do is make my own couch bags. Now my question is with the plastic and gorilla tape, do you guys think this approach alone will be great for making a couch bag? And also once made, do you guys think the gorilla tape is strong enough to hold the vapors in without it seeping out? I plan on making 3 bags, couch, love seat, and putting the rug and couch pillows in the third bag. While furniture are getting ddvp'ed, I'm going to Follow with vacuuming, getting the Carpet steamed cleaned, and then after drying, dusting with cimexa.

2. Ninetysbabyent

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 17:16:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Well even tho I haven't gotten a response from anyone on here yet, I'm still going to follow up on this just in case anyone else needs this info or have anymore information for me about my ideal. Well I refuse to throw away my sofa, love seat and chaise lounge because for 1 I've only had it for 2 years, for 2 my furniture is still in tip top shape, and for 3, I'm 21 years old & busted my ass working 3 jobs to save up $2,000 while still paying bills, to purchase this really nice furniture set and I refuse to let these beg bugs be the reason I throw away my set! So that's why I chose this method of putting the furniture basically in their own DIY sofa bags bc it's cost efficient and I don't have money to do anything else.

After looking online, For the size of my couch, I've seen the Polyurethane sofa bags going anywhere from 28-35 dollars and basically I can do the same thing with just purchasing Painters Plastic aka Polyurethane Plastic aka Some Thick Ass Plastic lol, and The Gorilla tape to seal off the ends. I don't have the money to pay a professional pest control to exterminate the bed bugs for me, so I'm left to try to get rid of them all on my own. Ultimately, going the route of buying the plastic sheeting saved me more money vs purchasing several sofa bags bc the sheeting was 30 dollars (which is 12ft wide & 100 ft long and 6mil thick) and the Gorilla tape was 8 dollars, meaning I can make a lot of plastic bags out of this, all with paying 38 dollars.

Since I didn't get a response, I had decided to email Paul Bello and ask him about this ideal and he emailed me back giving me the okay, saying to double wrap the plastic to place a protective barrier by either another layer of plastic or a blanket on top but being as tho I won't be sitting on the sofas I don't think that is necessary. I believe he told me to put the protective barrier, thinking I was still going to be sitting and/or laying down on the couch, but once I seal the couches with the ddvp strips inside, they won't be occupied until the project is over.

So I have a 2 bedroom apartment, with 1 room damn near empty. my living room consists of a sofa, love seat, chaise lounge, a 8x10 rug, metal/glass tv stand, tv, 2 glass/metal end tables and the matching middle table, my matress that I've been sleeping on, and a desk in the corner that is still in the box. what I plan to do is spray the tables with raid BB spray and put them in the unoccupied room for now. Then create a cylinder shape with the plastic, sort of the same shape as a normal garbage bag, just supersized to fit my couch, tape it horizontally, then tape it at the end so now it's mimicking a garbage bag. My couches are flipped on their backs right now, so I'll unscrew all 4 of the leg posts to prevent tearing the plastic, cut a hole in the dust cover, place a DDVP strip on the inside on the dust cover so that it's hanging onto the dust cover, then slide the whole couch into the bag and finally seal off the last open end with the gorilla tape very well. (note I've read in this forum that's the plastic has to be 2mil thick or higher, I bought 6mil thick plastic)

So I'll repeat this process making a bagged ddvp strip for the couch, the love seat, the chaise, and I'll put the rug and the boxed desk inside of one too. Now ever since August I've been sleeping in my living room, I haven't went back into my bedroom in fear that I'll bring them into there so I know that I have to risk being bit a lil bit longer in order to kill them lol. After everything in the living room is bagged & sealed, ill bag and seal my clothes that I've been keeping in the living room (basically my work clothes) and wash them later, but I'll vacuum the carpet, spray the carpet with bedlam, then after that, powder dust cimexa all over it and around the perimeter of the house. Then after 2 weeks I plan on getting the carpet steamed cleaned too and once that is done, I'll just reapply the cimexa again.

Paul B also told me as long as the couches are sealed tightly it is safe for me to still sleep in another room in my apartment so after all of that is done, even though I checked my room and seen no BB activity, I'm still going to ddvp strip my room as well just to be on the safe side. I have an AC unit in my room and air draft comes in thru the window so I'll put plastic around the whole window and AC unit, place a Ddvp strip in the middle of the room, hanging from a chair, then closing the door, taping it around the edge, and bottom...

And I plan on sleeping in my other unoccupied room for 2 weeks until this whole project is over with.

3. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 9 2016 2:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. There must be a possibility that the gas could leak out. I am concerned that if you are putting the Nuvan strips in bags in a room where you are spending time that you could do yourself some damage.

4. Ninetysbabyent

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Oct 9 2016 3:37:13
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 33 minutes ago  » 
    Hi. There must be a possibility that the gas could leak out. I am concerned that if you are putting the Nuvan strips in bags in a room where you are spending time that you could do yourself some damage.

No I won't be in spending time in the living room at all besides following up on spraying, dusting, & vacuuming the carpet as the bagged furniture sits. So I won't be in the living room anymore for about 2.5 weeks. Today I'll be setting everything up, once I bag and ddvp the furniture, I'll be moving myself from sleeping in the living room, to now sleeping in the guest room. One of the vets already gave me clearance via email that it is perfectly fine for me to still be in the same household (a different room) as the ddvp items as long as they are tightly sealed. Which I would make sure of, and I'd knw if there Would be an air leak or not.

5. Ninetysbabyent

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 12 2016 17:29:13
    #

Login to Send PM

here are some pictures of the sofa bags I DIY out of the painters plastic and the gorilla tape. I would have been done faster if I had help, but I'm a 1 man army so it took me a couple hours t make 4. I blew them up with a fan just to make sure that they were secure at the ends, and that no air was seeping out. After making, I slid the couches into the bags, I wanted to overkill bc I read an article about treating at the right dose didn't necessarily kill all forms, so I put one 65g of the pest strip into each couch bag and I sealed the ends up.

https://i.imgur.com/wEfOz1Lh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tLycDDBh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GwXpQmwh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/V9u0DQ2h.jpg

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 12 2016 22:23:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I fixed your links.

Your embeds were not working and they started in http://https:// which won't ever work. Note that if you just paste the URL in, it will create a working link and that's probably the easiest thing to do. Also, you can edit your posts for about an hour after you post, if you notice such issues in future.

As for the DDVP, I recommend you contact P Bello. He's an expert who hasn't posted here lately but works with Nuvan and knows a lot about it. He may have ideas for you. You can try contacting him via his website in his profile (linked from his name above).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Itchyallover

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 12 2016 22:56:27
    #

Login to Send PM

This is an interesting idea, please keep us updated on how it works for you

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081