Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Crawling or tingling sensations

(15 posts)
  1. insecticidal

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 16 2011 19:36:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Are crawling sensations a documented symptom of bites? My bites tend not to itch very much, but I do sometimes get crawling sensations away from home, during the middle of the day. It occurred to me that these could work out in the bugs' favor if you start to ignore them to the point that you don't notice an actual adult crawling up to have a bite while you're awake.

Or maybe I'm just paying attention to sensations that have always been there and that I previously ignored.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 17 2011 0:22:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Others have reported crawling sensations, in the absence of a bed bug actually crawling -- at that moment -- in the location. My sense is that this is part of our allergic response to bed bugs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 17 2011 0:23:38
    #

Login to Send PM

See also these threads.

4. insecticidal

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 20 2011 1:48:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, nobugs. I'd seen most of those. I guess my question was more about some kind of official recognition of the symptom.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 20 2011 9:53:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Very little has been written about bed bug bites and I do not recall anything offhand which was specifically about the crawling sensations in the absence of a bed bug.

6. newtactics

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 24 2011 15:33:04
    #

Login to Send PM

wow, I read the threads you put up there nobugs, and also the one in the FAQ

http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/16/lingering-sensations-phantom-bed-bug-bites-what-does-a-bed-bug-infestation-really-do-to-our-skin/

and I'm hoping...hoping, that the itchy bite looking marks on my skin now are not bites but are an eerie afterthought. ha I really hope I'm bug free despite the bite marks and itching

Guess I'll keep having to look for blood smears etc to see whether I still have bugs or not!

7. bbgirl

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 25 2011 10:49:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I read somewhere that the sprays including pyrethroids can cause these sensations and have noticed it after my home being sprayed

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 25 2011 16:20:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, it is fully possible that pesticides can mess with your skin too.

"Blood stains" aren't very reliable, newtactics. You might want to look into monitors instead (there are links to articles about those from the Useful Stuff page).

9. newtactics

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 25 2011 19:47:45
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks nobugs,

I have a monitor - I will put it on once I've cleaned all my product up from my current respray.

The bed bugs will need to defecate somewhere wont they? Be it on the sheets, in the bed frame, the wall, mattress, duvan, skirting board or somewhere don't they? Between a passive monitor and checking everywhere for blood smears I should be able to tell shouldn't I? Please tell me I can

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 25 2011 23:09:30
    #

Login to Send PM

newtactics - 3 hours ago  » 
    thanks nobugs,
    I have a monitor - I will put it on once I've cleaned all my product up from my current respray.
    The bed bugs will need to defecate somewhere wont they? Be it on the sheets, in the bed frame, the wall, mattress, duvan, skirting board or somewhere don't they? Between a passive monitor and checking everywhere for blood smears I should be able to tell shouldn't I? Please tell me I can

Hey newtactics,

I am not an expert. However, my sense is that you should focus on FECAL stains, not "blood smears". There will be fecal stains.

On the other hand, blood stains -- not necessarily, and they could be from bleeding rather than bed bugs.

If your monitor is a BbAlert passive, it's designed to give the bed bugs an attractive harborage where you can easily see the fecal stains.

11. Rosae

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 26 2011 9:57:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you notice the bite marks and crawling sensations because they have a serious meaning (that the battle was not successful).

12. Rosae

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 26 2011 9:58:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Things without a meaning go by unnoticed.

13. newtactics

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 26 2011 13:00:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for clarifying Nobugs - I meant fecal stains when I said smears , as the stains 'smear' if you rub them, but I can see why you thought I meant smears on my sheets (which I haven't had for months)

Rosae - I'm hoping my discomfort is a reaction to the treatment , but if its bugs, its bugs, I'll just have to keep an eye out and get more treatment if needed

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 26 2011 13:18:22
    #

Login to Send PM

newtactics - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for clarifying Nobugs - I meant fecal stains when I said smears , as the stains 'smear' if you rub them, but I can see why you thought I meant smears on my sheets (which I haven't had for months)

There's more to this: it's not the distinction between stains and smears which I am concerned with, but a distinction between blood vs. fecal. Fecal stains (or fecal smears) are not the same as blood stains or blood smears. They don't look the same as blood. They aren't blood.

Fecal stains are a sign of bed bugs, but in my understanding, blood stains aren't necessarily. And this is something the media often gets wrong.

15. newtactics

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 26 2011 14:20:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Understood, thanks.

UNFORTUNATELY I have seen enough fecal stains over the past few months to recognise them

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,581 posts in 46,607 topics over 142 months by 20,556 of 21,424 members. Latest: Me33, csinsdca, Takeabreath415