Craigalist I should've know better: A Rant

(5 posts)
  1. clare_v

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 3 2012 22:40:05
    #

Login to Send PM

So I'm new to this site, but not to bed bugs. When I was in grad school a friend who was moving unknowingly gave me a futon infested with bed bugs. She apologized profusely. She was bitten, but didn't know what the bites were from until I found the bugs when I got the futon. I was able to control the situation and get rid of all of the bugs. Fast forward 10 years. My husband and I were looking to buy furniture (new furniture). We were discouraged by the pricing when we went to the furniture store. And I didn't want to finance anything.

On Friday we were on the way home from the store and I was browsing Craigslist. I found a guy who was moving out of state and selling a small sectional. We went to look at it. He showed me the receipt which stated it was 7 months old. I looked at the piece. It looked clean and was comfortable. I didn’t smell any bugs (having had them before I know the smell…don’t ask); I didn’t see any bugs, or signs of bugs when I checked the seams. I agreed to pick up the piece the next day. We picked up the piece on Saturday. By Saturday night I had what I thought were a couple of mosquito bites. I figured that I got them when the door was open. On Sunday I still only had the two “mosquito” bites.

This morning I woke up with several more bites. That’s when panic set in. I knew deep down what they were. My husband and 22 month old daughter have nothing. I called the guy I brought the sectional from and asked him if he had bed bugs. Of course he denied it…and he may not have known. I started checking the sectional. Aha! I finally found one underneath the sectional. I called him back, searching as we spoke I found a few more underneath the piece. I was hoping that since I only found a few and he claims to have never been bitten that those were the only ones. Then I took the wooden feet off of the couch. That’s when I found the eggs, cast skin, and black spots. So I called a POC who told me what to do until they could come inspect tomorrow.

Of course I couldn’t help calling the guy who sold me the couch. And of course I knew that he would deny everything. And of course I was expecting a miracle, but I have a kid and can’t afford the expense of treating a bug attack. He didn’t answer so I just went over to his place (dead bed bug samples in hand). The idiot had the nerve to ask me if the couch could have picked up the bugs from my friends pick up that we used to move it…NO! The eggs and cast skin are evidence that the bugs have been there for a while. He then suggested that my daughter (who isn’t even 2) or my husband transported the bugs in on their clothes. Ok plausible argument, but then the bugs only infested the new couch which has been in my house for barely 48 hours? I don’t think so. Plus the only place we have been this weekend was church and your house. Then he stated that he has never been bitten to which I responded you are probably not allergic so you don’t notice the bites, like my husband and daughter who so far have no bites. Then he told me that I had hives similar to what he gets them from anxiety. No I don’t have any anxiety disorder mental case; I have bed bugs from you. He kept telling me how clean he was and how he didn't find a single bug in his house (yeah because they're all at my house). The he started questioning why my bites didn't all look the same. So I finally ask what are we going to do to solve this? To which he responds as far as I see it I sold you a clean couch that I have had for 7 months and slept on for 2 weeks when I sold my bed so you must’ve had bugs in your house or picked them up on the truck. I wanted to choke him, but didn’t. I was so angry. That’s when I felt like it was a scam. I didn’t ask for all the money back. All I wanted to subtract the cost of the cleaning or to return the couch for a full refund (which I knew was a really long shot). I love the sectional. I’m hoping that it can be saved. Now I’m going to probably end up spending as much as I would’ve for a new couch. But I should’ve known better and just gotten a new sectional. I don’t know if I’m madder at him or myself for being taken. So as stated over and over on this site DON’T buy any furniture from Craigslist. Even if it appears clean it might not be.

Thanks for allowing my rant. Fingers crossed that the bugs are contained to the couch and that the couch can be saved.

2. Aintnobugsonme

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 3 2012 22:50:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Aw, I really sorry to hear that. That's terrible if he knew he had bed bugs and sold you that couch. I couldn't live with myself if I did that! I hope it is just contained to the couch and I wish you luck!

3. clare_v

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 3 2012 23:08:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Aintnobugsonme. I hope he didn't know, but he was so unapologetic I feel like he did.

4. quackie333

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 3 2012 23:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel your pain. Never having to deal with bed bugs nor hearing about then much, I also purchased a piece of furniture on craigslist a month ago that was infested. I mean infested. We have had 4 treatments on our house and belongings. So far we have spent 1300.00 on everything, including new beds for my boys, treatments, laundry, etc. I wish you the best of luck! I pray every night that none of us have me bites in the morning. We spent all day treating apart dressers looking for hiding areas for the darn things. Praying for you to rid of then quickly!

5. quackie333

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 3 2012 23:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Excuse the typos. Using my phone.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982