Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Couple of questions about encasements, basements and cars??

(6 posts)
  1. storm23

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 17 2012 1:24:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Now that I have found 4 live bed bugs (which KillerQueen here graciously confirmed/ID’d for me a few days ago from photos I took! thanks KQ), I dread laying down in my bed to go to sleep. It’s a repulsive thought to me. How does everyone deal with this?

I’ve spent most of the weekend looking up PCO’s and trying to figure out who might be good, checked the FAQ section on choosing one, what to ask, etc, so I guess I’m as prepared as any to call a few first thing in the morning and get this going. But, I do have a few more questions, and honestly, I may have read the answers here and just not registered them with the amount of information I’m trying to take in or just overlooked them, so I apologize in advance for that (and if I should have seperated these into their own posts).

1. From what I’m reading here on the forums, sounds like I’ll definitely have to get some mattress and box spring covers/encasements. Will the PCO have recommendations for these that coincide with how they treat, etc? Are there different types? Where is a good place to get them (online or would someplace like Walmart or Target have them?). Suggestions or advice on good ones to get?

2. I do plan on asking the PCO about this, but what does one do if you live in a single family home, with a basement that is half furnished as a sleeping/living area, but hasn’t been used as such in well over a year, only gets ventured into anymore when something is needed from storage or just to change the furnace filter, light cleaning, etc, that kind of thing, which leads me to the other half of the basement, which is unfinished storage space, with LOTS (and I emphasize the LOTS) of stuff being stored both in boxes, bags and openly just sitting on shelves, floor, etc. I’m sure it’s best to do the whole house, but what if you just can’t go through all that stuff in a reasonable time frame? Or would this be a good place for a canine detector, if just to get a rough idea if maybe it’s a problem area despite the lack of anyone every being down there for long? Would chemical treatments by the PCO really be worth doing in an area like this, or even work when it’s not a space that’s used or inhabited? I’m usually the only one here, and I don’t venture down there much. I’m trying to wrap my head around this area in this situation. Anyone have a similar situation?

3. I have my guess about where I got the bed bugs from, which leads me to believe they could possibly be in my car as well now. Has anyone gotten their car treated too, as well as their home, or had an issue with bringing them back in because they managed to hide out in the car?

I hate this. I already have other major stressful things going on and my mind is reeling with this and the additional stress. I guess, along with the few questions, I needed to vent a little too before I drag my feet to the bed for what I hope is a quick to fall asleep night now that it’s after 2am here.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed on this site, making it a great place to get information and answers and support too.

2. storm23

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 17 2012 1:38:09
    #

Login to Send PM

You know it's bad when you click off to read another post, and you look down at a piece of paper on the desk for a second and out of the corner of your eye, you see the mouse pointer on the computer screen move because your hand slightly moved the mouse and you jump because all you're thinking about is bugs. Maybe I just need to take my hand off the mouse and go to bed! lol

3. bug_hater

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 17 2012 2:28:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the same situation...single family dwelling situation. I went to the basement today to just check how much stuff is still in boxes and found a live adult on the wall...uugghh!! I hate this house and we just moved in 2 weeks ago!!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 17 2012 7:41:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To answer your questions:

1 Not all PCO's use encasement and increasingly those that do see box spring as the key and mattress as optional. Personally I use neither and prefer to just do quality work to eradicate bedbugs as I am not in the control game.

2 The basement should not be an issue unless something heavily infected has been deposited there. This is because bedbugs will not hang out long term in an unoccupied area preferring to settle close to humans or sources of food.

3 Vehicle infestations are less common than the fear and anxiety of them. If you are worried have your PCO inspect the vehicle and confirm if they are there. In my personal experience I have only found confirming signs in vehicles which are used for excessive time periods such as truck cabs, camper vans and vehicles which double up for sleep. Your PCO should be able to advise on the best option moving forward once its confirmed.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. storm23

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 17 2012 16:38:37
    #

Login to Send PM

bug_hater - sorry to hear you found one on your basement wall. I havent ventured downstairs into my basement for anything recently. I'm hoping whatever infestation I have is contained upstairs in just the two rooms I found the live ones in. I hope you're able to get rid of yours soon.

bed-bugscouk - thank you for the info/thoughts on my questions. I appreciate it. Luckily, nothing has really been moved into the basement in quite some time, other than small trinket type stuff, but even thats been a while, so hopefully if anything was shuffled down there, they've found their way back upstairs stairs by now. I may have the car inspected too, just in case and for my own peace of mind. Thanks again!

6. bug_hater

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 17 2012 17:21:33
    #

Login to Send PM

When we came to view the home, the previous tenent had mattresses down there and in the garage as well. Upon close search of the garage, we also found a live adult there as well. Im really praying it was only because the mattresses were there. Its relieving to hear they wont stick around long in those areas....I havent slept or been able to eat and lost 5 lbs since finding them last week.
    I hope this experience ends soon!! I was in the Navy and experienced every pesky pest in close quarter living except bedbugs...that has to some sort of miracle, lol

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,005 posts in 49,870 topics over 154 months by 21,824 of 22,292 members. Latest: bnorth, Nl9045, Sairuhh