Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Could we just get some success stories on here........

(13 posts)
  1. batbugger

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 22:31:37
    #

Login to Send PM

We are all on here for the same reason, we have, had, think we have, paranoid we have again etc etc BEDBUGS!!!! All this stress of bugs(my problem being bat bugs same thing basically) is driving me nuts. All the sleepless nights, waking up at 3:30am to check my kids with flash lights, and randomly pulling the blankets off my husband right before his alarm goes off only to piss him off. Nightmares, sleeping with lights on, twitching fom every little itch or spec that I think came from or is a bug! I need hope.. I think most of us could use some hope shoot even inspiration. These are desperate times. FEEL FREE TO SHARE YOUR SUCCESS STORIES ONLY!

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 22:39:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Wish you the best of luck with your problem. There are in fact plenty of success stories spread out on the site. I know I have tons of old posts from people talking about successful treatments. Click here for some positive hope. http://bedbugger.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-7312958226641931%3A5255291201&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=%22Killerqueen%22&sa=Search

That being said I wanted to discuss your problem with you over the phone. I just noticed you're out of state in another thread so I wanted to see if I could help talk you through the problem you're facing.

3. batbugger

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 22:42:25
    #

Login to Send PM

You are very much welcome to private message me. I need all the help I can get right now!

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 22:49:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sitting in my office right now. Yes, working the night shift since my AC was out all day and repaired late tonight. Give me 5 minutes to make some tea and then you can call me for some help.

5. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 22:52:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved put of an infestation successfully. :-). I posted a success story.

Look at the success story tag for more.

6. Scritch

Acct closed: now skritch

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 0:20:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I think - and I think this is true on all subjects, not just bugs -- that people who get rid of a problem often don't bother posting.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 0:48:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Scritch - 24 minutes ago  » 
    I think - and I think this is true on all subjects, not just bugs -- that people who get rid of a problem often don't bother posting.

In a lot of cases that is true.

In others, they posted a success story and are now gone. A few linger on to help others.

You can read success stories here. It's my sense they represent a small fraction of forum users who get rid of bed bugs.

Many people put off saying they're sure for months, to make sure they really are "sure," and by then, they've moved on. I've seen that scenario too often to count.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. DontBugMe1000

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 19:37:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I just wanted to say that I have a chronic, potentially debilitating illness and when I was first diagnosed I went to some internet forums and after reading story after story, thought my life was over. But it turns out most people with this illness actually end up living full and painless lives (these days, anyway) but these were not the people posting on the forums! This was 7 years ago and most days I don't even know I have a problem.

From this experience I learned that people come together in these support forums when they are not having success solving their problem, or when they need understanding or advice, not when the problem is under control and they aren't thinking about it anymore. So we are not getting an accurate picture of success and failure here.

That said I personally have 2 friends in my city who got and successfully got rid of bed bugs in the space of a couple months. It was a hassle but it didn't end up taking over their lives. One had a fairly mild infestation and was sprayed 3 times and froze and washed stuff. She still lives in the same place, bug free. Another didn't figure out he was infested until the infestation was pretty bad. That suite had carpeting and so he had the problem treated, did the decontamination (wash dry wash dry) and moved out and hasn't had a problem since.

I have a second hand story (meaning I don't actually know the people who got the bugs) where one of my best friend had her next door neighbour, her upstairs neighbour, and downstairs neighbour all get bed bugs at the same time. They were all able to completely exterminate them and the building has been BB free for the last 3 years. My friend had a cautionary fumigation at the same time but never saw any signs of bugs in her apartment.

These are the kinds of stories you might not see on an internet forum, as it was a huge hassle for the people but when it was done, it was done, and they moved on with their lives.

I hope sharing these stories helps in some way.

9. Eve

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 22:22:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I successfully got rid of them. It was a long struggle and I didn't get help from the landlord. But I used a method (involving DE) that was not encouraged by this board at that time. So I have been quiet about it. I used all the information I could glean from this board about their habits in my battle which was invaluable.

I was free of them for a year and half before I moved out. I don't have them in my new place (I've been here for two months, they would have found me and/or their lovely new home courtesy David Cain by now) even though I had a scare on my last week in my old place.

So I guess I have two success stories.

Eve

10. Eve

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 22:26:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I should mention about the DE method I used that I bought just 200 gram (7 ounces) of the stuff and even though I made a couple of mistakes with being too slapdash in my first attempt, I still have well over half of it left over. A little bit of this stuff can go a very very long way.

Eve

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 23:09:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Eve - 43 minutes ago  » 
    I successfully got rid of them. It was a long struggle and I didn't get help from the landlord. But I used a method (involving DE) that was not encouraged by this board at that time. So I have been quiet about it. I used all the information I could glean from this board about their habits in my battle which was invaluable.

Hi Eve,

I can't even recall exactly what you did or how. However, despite the fact that people encouraged you to use other methods (or, as commonly happens, urged you not to try to DIY if you had other options), I am sure others are as pleased as I am that you got rid of them.

I'd encourage you to post your success stories in a designated thread, so they don't get overlooked in the context of a wider discussion here.

12. Eve

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 0:11:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 24 minutes ago  » 

Eve - 43 minutes ago  » 

Hi Eve,
    I can't even recall exactly what you did or how. However, despite the fact that people encouraged you to use other methods (or, as commonly happens, urged you not to try to DIY if you had other options), I am sure others are as pleased as I am that you got rid of them.
    I'd encourage you to post your success stories in a designated thread, so they don't get overlooked in the context of a wider discussion here.

To be fair, a lot of it was self-censorship. I have experience with people taking the easy part of the message: "Use DE" and ignoring the other stuff. In my case, the other stuff includes the fact that I live alone with no pets so I can control the food source. That food source slept in that bed every night during the entire ordeal (this was the hardest part). That allowed me to isolate them to the bed. I did not isolate the bed in any way (I couldn't in case given its design). I did not dispose of the bed until I could do it effectively. At that point, I got rid of the bedframe and the fully enclosed and inspected futon mattress. The problem was then gone.

But there was lots of subtle stuff and risk management going on too. Like keeping all clothing away from the bed (the living room became my changing area). A big part of my concern was that they not get into my library and they didn't.

So it was more than using a thin film of DE on the carpet. That would not have worked without sacrificing myself as bait. And it would not have worked if I isolated the bed. The only thing I did to keep down the numbers in the bed were the periodic washes with alcohol. I also went around elsewhere in the bedroom with a steam iron and managed to get a few off a picture I had on the wall (they make a satisfying sizzle).

And believe me, I would much rather have called in a PCO to do a proper spraying and dusting but they're reluctant to come out to a rental without the landlord's okay. I would have been happy to pay for it. Tenants who have neither landlord cooperation nor money and expertise have my deepest sympathy.

My new bed is a plain steel bed (a Pragma bed as it happens) with an enclosed mattress and (most importantly) a passive detector. I might even order another couple for other quadrants of the mattress. Aside from a couple of end tables, my bedroom is empty. I live a low risk lifestyle in that I am not a traveller and am pretty much a recluse as far as having visitors or visiting other homes. Edmonton is not New York. I can go to most public places without worrying. But now I know what they are, what they look like. So next time there won't be the "I wonder what's going on" delay in taking action. I wouldn't even have to prepare for the PCO because the bedroom is virtually empty. (I also have very few clothes.)

I looked up my current address on the registry and it was listed. But that's not a surprise because there are a lot of students here who shuttle between here and other places on weekends and holidays, it's a huge complex and it has a fairly high turnover (it's expensive). What was clear in the registry is that they dealt with the problem (using heat first and then chemicals). I actually feel safer because of this. Unlike my previous apartment, there seem to be no spaces for them to go from one apartment to another aside from under the door of course (having typed that I went to check the heating pipes and notice they have some sort of steel wool blocking the inter-apartment cavity).

So, yes, I find this a happy ending.

Eve

13. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 4 2012 0:44:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Well said and right on the money Dontbugme!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,409 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams