Could we be clear? Please advice on what to do next

(4 posts)
  1. BedBugsInParis

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 9 2018 10:06:30
    #

Login to Send PM

My first bites (a pretty massive cluster and rash on my left shoulder blade) were on February 22nd and confirmed by a dermatologist as insect-related. Understandably he wouldn't venture as to which insect in particular, but bedbugs came up as a possibility.
    I had encountered them before so I tried not to freak out, accepted that it might as well be mosquitoes we hadn't noticed earlier (the weather's intermittently been milder so we sometimes keep the windows open at night), and only kept a quick eye out for more bites or outer signs.
    A month went by with 1-2 bites every 3-4 nights for me, none for my partner (that, or he doesn't react), and no immediate signs on the bedding or mattress.
    Since it wasn't going away and we hadn't spotted any other insect, I ended up conducting a thorough inspection of the bedding, mattress, bed frame and bedding area on March 20th, and found 3 bedbugs (one adult and 2 nymphes) in a removable drawer we had kept under the bed to
    store extra linens. (The bed itself seemed clear.)
    I'll admit I'm no expert, but from my past experience and documented photos online, I'm positive that they were bedbugs.
    We thus washed and ran all linens in the dryer for 50 min, vacuumed the mattress and bedding area (carpet, wooden floor, floorboard), carefully discarded the drawer, and started getting in touch with a few PCOs. (I actually posted here last week to ask for comments and advice on their courses of treatment.)
    There have been delays in trying to set up an intervention though, so it's now been 2 weeks since we found the bedbugs and I'm no longer being bitten.
    We're well aware that there might be unhatched eggs left behind, or even live bugs, and we're not ruling out professional treatment, but we're wondering whether we might have been extremely lucky and managed the infestation on our own in the first place.
    Could potential survivors have been laying low for the past 2 weeks, including somewhere else in our apartment (which is a rather small 23-square-meter studio)? Could they now be biting my partner instead of me?
    Would it be careless to just install a bedbug monitor and wait and see, only to schedule professional treatment if there were new signs in coming weeks?
    Any comment, especially from professisonals, would be greatly appreciated!

2. Cognoscere

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 9 2018 11:12:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Very interested in what would be advised here as well.

3. Whyme0110

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Apr 10 2018 11:13:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I currently have a bed bug problem too, find my post, it is freaking me out. I'm not a professional but a professional advised me to buy this spray from Amazon. Killed on contact for an experiment. Today I am throw my bed away bagging up all clothes, inspecting furniture, bagging up any blankets and such. Directions said not to vacuum until after I spray so I can vacuum dead bugs. So I will try to post results later. The spray was overnighted so be here today. Check out Amazon. That's where my pro bought it and had me pay him back.

Help!
  4. Whyme0110

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Apr 10 2018 11:14:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I currently have a bed bug problem too, find my post, it is freaking me out. I'm not a professional but a professional advised me to buy this spray from Amazon. Killed on contact for an experiment. Today I am throwing my bed away bagging up all clothes, inspecting furniture, bagging up any blankets and such. Directions said not to vacuum until after I spray so I can vacuum dead bugs. So I will try to post results later. The spray was overnighted so be here today. Check out Amazon. That's where my pro bought it and had me pay him back. May not be much help, but I have read so much in the past four days, I'm ready to go to war.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

276,123 posts in 45,452 topics over 138 months by 19,969 of 20,732 members. Latest: Ganonthecannon, Cass2369, Oceanside06