Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Could use some kind words!!!

(7 posts)
  1. movingsoon

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 20:06:39
    #

Login to Send PM

So, last week my roommate found a bed bug in her bed. We took apart her mattress and bed frame, and found about four adult bed bugs. I had to leave for an international flight the very next morning, so I treated everything that was going with me and left - I didn't have time to do the extermination pre-care. I just got back yesterday, and the exterminator is going to get my room tomorrow. I was find on the trip, but since I got back I've just had a full blown non stop panic attack and I want it to end. I want to just not be in my room, but I HAVE to be in my room to clean everything and it's been driving me crazy.

The thing is - I think I'm blowing things totally out of proportion!! I did get two sets of bites that seemed like they could be bed bugs, but they were 3 weeks apart and I sleep with the window open (it could have been anything). I've been going through my stuff meticulously and haven't found a SINGLE ONE. My other roommate went through her stuff too, and she also found nothing!!

I'm also moving back home in 3 weeks, after the full course of treatment (not for the bugs, my sublet is over) and I am TERRIFIED of bringing them home with me. I know since we haven't seen an infestation in my room, I have no luggage or furniture, and we're going to leave everything in my car under the hot Virginia sun for a whole month (at which point I'm moving to a different state), the chances of getting away scot free are actually high. But I keep reading and rereading horror story after horror story and i'm totally convinced that I'm going to f*ck up somehow and bring them home. My mom owns our house and has no land lord, so treatment would be an expense we absolutely cannot afford.

The physical strain has also been gnawing on me. I wake up every hour looking around for bugs (haven't seen any), I can't bring myself to eat. When I eat, I end up having a panic attack that makes me throw everything up. I have fibromyalgia and live on a fourth floor walk-up - which is just barely within my abilities - but I didn't anticipate having to walk up and down 10, 15 times a day to get my laundry to the laundromat and to throw my trash away. My legs are shaking and buckling constantly. I have no air conditioning and am sweating like crazy.

I just need some words of kindness. Maybe some success stories. I also need a therapist but there's no point in finding one when I'll be gone in just 3 weeks. Words will have to do in the meantime.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 23:43:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Please take care of yourself. Finding a therapist in your next location who will “see you” by phone or Skype before then may be an option?

It sounds like the case may not be too serious. Try to calm down. It sounds like no visual evidence has been found in your room.

That said, the bad news is that a hot car isn’t foolproof. The good news is you can probably debug your things pretty easily before you pack them in the car. The FAQs and Useful Tools pages should help with that.

There are thousands of success stories here— and many more which aren’t there because they aren’t tagged or categorized as such. Remember most people don’t come back to post one. They just forget about us. I hope you will come back and let us know it’s all good.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. thirdusername

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 1:07:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I really sympathize.
    It doesn't sound like your roommate had a bad case.
    I think the biggest thing is to look for them after you move, finding them early makes a big difference. My opinion.
    I probably have a recent success story but I haven't posted it because I think I'll jinx myself. Or maybe they are still here and I don't react anymore or maybe I really suck at looking for signs.
    Best of luck.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  4. movingsoon

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 11:04:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, after another night with no bites I'm feeling a little better. I have 3 more boxes of my stuff to go through, and even though I haven't found anything yet, I'm terrified that I'm going to open a box and there they'll be. The exterminator is coming tomorrow so that'll all be done today. It's both a relief and a terror that by the time I go to sleep tonight, I'll know whether or not my things have bed bugs (I know they could still be in my room otherwise).

Also the hot car treatment is just extra for us, don't worry! I have been washing, inspecting, wrapping, and heat treating everything. I've thrown away all my luggage, cloth containers, and wooden furniture (I'm a recent graduate, so my only furniture is one wooden mirror). Even after treating everything we're going to leave it all in the car - it gets to about 90-95 many days in August.

The thing that gets me is that I think the whole building is infested. My roommates and I have seen three different mattresses in the dumpster over the course of the last week - and that's just the people who throw away their mattresses (which I've learned from this forum is not a necessity). The last treatment is going to be about 7 days before I leave, and I'm hoping the residuals will still work (will they?). I think there's a solid chance I could get out of this bug free. But I feel like if I don't - it'll be my fault!!!

5. movingsoon

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 12:13:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Also I'm too stressed to properly express my gratitude but this forum is one of the kindest online communities I've come across. Thank you so much.

6. Mollygee23

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 15:46:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. This is honestly, the most stressful thing I have ever experienced, and it sounds like you have a lot that you are already dealing with. The last pest guy that I talked to didn't seem to worried about non-plush/fabric items unless it was a massive infestation, so I am hoping that using those strips to treat books, electronics, etc. is not necessary. I am going to steam and follow up with Temprid on rug and furniture. Maybe you could do that, just to be safe? The steamer I got is approved for BB and was $30 on Amazon. The Teprid plus sprayer comes in at under $100. I'd love to buy one of those hot rooms, but they are around 1k, and I just cant afford it. Good luck to you, and keep us posted.

7. movingsoon

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 10 2018 15:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your words - yeah, I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety, but this anxiety is also kind of puddling into other things that I was also anxious about. Life's hard! I actually don't have any furniture that I'm taking with me (I just moved out of a dorm so have yet to build my "life") so I'm hoping steaming won't be necessary. I washed/dried all clothes, dried all my shoes and bags, and for small things like books and jewelry I've just been carefully inspecting - tbh it doesn't seem like anything would hide in there for such a minor infestation. Today is the last day before the exterminator comes, and the day I have to go through the final few boxes of my stuff. If I can get through that without finding a bug, I will feel so so so much better. It's chewing me up on the inside.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,375 posts in 46,780 topics over 142 months by 20,642 of 21,536 members. Latest: dhoomkethu619, Sybert224, Cannotdeal