could use all the help I can get! [a: bed bug nymphs]

(91 posts)
  1. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2015 10:31:12
    #

Login to Send PM

So this is going to be a long story but as I've scoured this site over the past week I've noticed most of these are. About a week ago we had a friend visit and their children were talking about how they had seen a bug on one of their siblings the night before. These friends come over to our house pretty much daily. I get them off to school in the morning for their mother so they come extremely early. As we were talking about this but that they had seen the night before the little girl looks at her sister and says there's one now! I get up to search her and I don't see anything. And then I saw it on my kitchen floor. I grab the paper towel caught the little sucker. I threw it in the trash and began a Google search. Bed bugs kept popping up as I describe this bug. I run to the trash and retrieve this bug it's still on the paper towel and still alive. I suppose I would describe it as looking similar to a tick about the size of an apple seed. After I have come to the conclusion that I am 98% sure that is a bed bug I call her mother who denies that she would have bed bugs. I told her but she needs to at least search her house and we need to get it taken care of. I assured her that I wasn't blaming her for anything and I wouldn't think any less of her. I began searching my home I find nothing. I begin vacuuming cleaning out my vacuum putting everything through my dryer. A few days pass and my daughter wakes up with a bite on her arm. Now I feel 100% sure that I have bed bugs however I can find nothing anywhere. All this time I've been in contact with the other family they claim they found a bug but it was a bat bug. I told her I'm sure it's a bed bug will just take care of it. She continues to deny it. I continue my search with no results my daughter is bitten several times. Finally my friend calls me and she says oh my goodness I have bed bugs my couch was infested with them. She said she took her couch out to the curb even though I pleaded with her not to do that and she said there's no more they're all gone. I continue searching and can find nothing but my brain was going wild so I called a pest control company to come and do a free inspection. The gentleman comes in he begins in my living room and find two small bed bugs on my couch he searches my entire house and that is the only place he finds them. He told me I could probably take care of it myself or I could pay him $850 and he would steal my living room and chemically treat the rest of my house. From some of the things I've read $850 is not that expensive but I'm poor lol and I don't have $850. So I begin my self treatment i steam clean my couch spray the heck out of it with hot shot which totally burned my throat and lungs. I banish everyone from sitting on the furniture and I continue my vacuuming and drying of everything. My daughter still getting bit she claims they're old bites or they're showing up with a delayed reaction but I'm not buying it. I continue searching. Yesterday I found the little bugs all over her wooden bed frame. No signs on mattresses at this point. So far I can only find them on her bed. Today I ordered mattress covers and DE. I'm just wanting to know can I actually do this on my own? I did break my own rule and I got rid of her bed frame I wrapped it and carried it outside to be burned then I vigilantly vacuumed my entire house steamed all the beds yesterday I steamed, washed things in hot water and heat dry, bagged some items I just don't know. At this point I don't think I can afford an exterminator. This is a literal nightmare.

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2015 15:16:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like the problem started in your daughter's room. I wouldn't use anymore over the counter aerosols. Take the meshing off the bottom of the couch. You can make your own contact killer by mixing 5 ounces of 50% rubbing alcohol, with 5 ounces of Murphy's soap, mixed with 10 ounces of water.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2015 21:33:24
    #

Login to Send PM

JIM Danca: Thank you for your response. Will the DE work? Should I just burn my couch too? I have mattress encasements coming. How will I know when the problem is solved??

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Dec 12 2015 7:33:37
    #

Login to Send PM

DE is really just a supplement to be used sparingly. Can you estimate how many bugs you found? Start a 30 day countdown. Remember, bedbugs love wood and most of the bugs may be confined to the daughter's room.

5. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Dec 12 2015 13:16:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found total of seven bugs eight if I count the one that I initially found early that morning. No new bites this morning. I'm hoping and praying that this doesn't turn into a giant nightmare and I'm going to stay vigilant.

6. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jan 23 2016 2:26:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope someone reads this! So I found a large live bug large bed bug on my couch... a few weeks ago. Found a dead bug in the heat vent in my daughters room but no other signs until last night. Last night I found another small dead bug by the heat vent and a skin casing on my daughters bed. My kids have still been getting bitten. Today we shelled out $1,219.38 to have our home heat treated. I'm praying that works! Anyone know how good these heat treatment work? They were in my home 8 hours and now 7 hours later my home is still pretty warm...hot stuff in drawers and such so I know they had it all toasty. Praying this does the trick!!!

7. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jan 23 2016 10:55:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish you luck. Sounds like they got everything hot so here is to hoping your problem is now solved!!

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  8. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 25 2016 0:50:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure if people see my post...but I have this odd thing that I realized...really I might be crazy. I had this odd smell in my house. People said they didn't notice but it drove me crazy. Suddenly my house doesn't stink. Could I have smelled bed bugs? Could they maybe be gone from the heat treatment or am I just a but job?

9. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 25 2016 2:46:41
    #

Login to Send PM

momtwins, I don't think you're crazy at ALL. My apartment had a weird smell last summer. In October, I found I had brought bed bugs home from my place of employment. After 2 treatments at home, I still smelled it, and was being bitten in one room. UsedCimexa. One day I noticed the smell was gone, as were the bites. In time, I realized, so were the bb. At work, the smell got really bad after they treated. Then went away. One day I smelled that smell again, and found a single bed bug in my work area. I only found it bc the smell made me suspicious so I looked. It's helpful, it really is!! Once you smell that..stink (its distinctive), you never forget it.

It might be a VERY good sign you can't smell them anymore.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  10. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 25 2016 8:17:06
    #

Login to Send PM

robinsmom - 5 hours ago  » 
    momtwins, I don't think you're crazy at ALL. My apartment had a weird smell last summer. In October, I found I had brought bed bugs home from my place of employment. After 2 treatments at home, I still smelled it, and was being bitten in one room. UsedCimexa. One day I noticed the smell was gone, as were the bites. In time, I realized, so were the bb. At work, the smell got really bad after they treated. Then went away. One day I smelled that smell again, and found a single bed bug in my work area. I only found it bc the smell made me suspicious so I looked. It's helpful, it really is!! Once you smell that..stink (its distinctive), you never forget it.
    It might be a VERY good sign you can't smell them anymore.

I was the only one smelling anything. Glad to hear I may not be crazy and glad to hear maybe my nose is an indicator!

11. BostonBugKiller

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 25 2016 16:14:23
    #

Login to Send PM

If you had a heat trestment you should feel pretty confident, as long as the company did what they are supposed to do. Reason its so much more than other treatments is heat is a one and done treatment.

12. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 25 2016 18:24:52
    #

Login to Send PM

BostonBugKiller - 2 hours ago  » 
    If you had a heat trestment you should feel pretty confident, as long as the company did what they are supposed to do. Reason its so much more than other treatments is heat is a one and done treatment.

Well I hope so....I'm traumatized. I'm wondering if I'll ever feel at home again. If I'll ever stop worrying.

13. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 29 2016 12:58:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm one week out from my heat treatment. So far everything seems good. I found a few dead bedbugs but we have not seen any live or had any bites. The guy that did my heat treatment was supposed to put climb up on my beds which he supposedly had ran out but was going to bring me some and has never shown up. I still pretty traumatized constantly asking my children if they've gotten any bites constantly finding myself searching for bugs but I didn't know if climb ups were really that necessary. Also not all of my beds have posts if that makes any sense some of them have long boards across the floor so I didn't know if they have climb up for those types of beds.

14. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 29 2016 13:58:42
    #

Login to Send PM

You'll probably still want to do weekly bed inspections for the next two weeks. Don't forget that bedbugs love wood.

15. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jan 30 2016 1:37:26
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 11 hours ago  » 
    You'll probably still want to do weekly bed inspections for the next two weeks. Don't forget that bedbugs love wood.

I'll probably be checking my house for months! I'm seriously paranoid! I'll be updating!

16. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jan 30 2016 13:37:10
    #

Login to Send PM

My daughter has a fresh bite! Ugh I'm beside myself! Anxiety through the roof and so angry, sad and freaked out!

17. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 1 2016 10:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

momtwins - 1 day ago  » 
    I'm back...so I've searched and searched with no luck...took baseboards off the wall. Cant even find fecal marks. My daughter said maybe it was an old bite that popped up. Not sure if that can happen. Would this work to maybe catch one or two just to prove I still have them? [link to BirdX pheromone monitor deleted]

Hello...just checking to see if anyone had a chance to check out my post...offer any advice. Thanks y'all

18. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 1 2016 13:27:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't recommend it. It's a gimmick. The best thing I could say about it is even a broken clock is right twice a day.

19. sleepy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 1 2016 14:03:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I've had old bites reappear a month later and itch and bites that never surface until two weeks later. Your daughter may be having a delay in reaction, or then again, maybe not. Keep up the fight! It is crazy making I know, I am going through it, but keep up the protocol. I found zappbug.com
    has some good videos to help see what you have missed.

Oh and I don't find 'poop's either even though biting is going on. I think it just depends on your situation. the little boogers in our bed bite and run and hide, so no evidence.

20. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 1 2016 22:30:38
    #

Login to Send PM

sleepy - 8 hours ago  » 
    I've had old bites reappear a month later and itch and bites that never surface until two weeks later. Your daughter may be having a delay in reaction, or then again, maybe not. Keep up the fight! It is crazy making I know, I am going through it, but keep up the protocol. I found zappbug.com
    has some good videos to help see what you have missed.
    Oh and I don't find 'poop's either even though biting is going on. I think it just depends on your situation. the little boogers in our bed bite and run and hide, so no evidence.

This is the most confusing situation ever! I'll keep count of bites and I'm going to start keeping a log of where bites are...I'm also going to keep searching. Its crazy frustrating! Like how can a person know...could be new, could be delayed ugh an old one could pop up. Really I'd rather have lice! I will prevail...someday but sometimes it seems like there is no light at the end of this tunnel!

21. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 2 2016 12:34:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Well another bite again today! I just wish I could find them so I could know were they are and I might know where to begin. I'm so frustrated!!!

22. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 2 2016 15:33:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Well the bite count has jumped...we have 5. I tore beds apart...finding nothing ugh!!! Heat treatment people ask for pictures of bites and I sent them. They said if they have to they will retreat. I don't think they used anything along with the heat. I have some DE. Maybe if we have another treatment we should use that along with it?

23. phuckbbs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 2 2016 23:26:19
    #

Login to Send PM

momtwins - 7 hours ago  » 
    Well the bite count has jumped...we have 5. I tore beds apart...finding nothing ugh!!! Heat treatment people ask for pictures of bites and I sent them. They said if they have to they will retreat. I don't think they used anything along with the heat. I have some DE. Maybe if we have another treatment we should use that along with it?

I found this while googling diy traps julesnoise.com/1-2/. It is a great way to stop bites in your bed! I don't react but my boyfriend is very allergic and he hasn't had any bites. It just uses plastic drop cloth (usually for painting) over and under your bed/couches. They can't climb up smooth surfaces. It is better than a traditional cloth encasement because they can't attach themselves to plastic. I know it doesn't sound comfortable, but you can set it up a certain way. The link will explain.

You can also create a plastic canopy so if they try to climb up the walls they won't be able to fall on you in your sleep.

Here is it again julesnoise.com/1-2/

Let me know if the link works.

24. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 3 2016 1:38:11
    #

Login to Send PM

phuckbbs - 2 hours ago  » 

momtwins - 7 hours ago  » 

I found this while googling diy traps julesnoise.com/1-2/. It is a great way to stop bites in your bed! I don't react but my boyfriend is very allergic and he hasn't had any bites. It just uses plastic drop cloth (usually for painting) over and under your bed/couches. They can't climb up smooth surfaces. It is better than a traditional cloth encasement because they can't attach themselves to plastic. I know it doesn't sound comfortable, but you can set it up a certain way. The link will explain.
    You can also create a plastic canopy so if they try to climb up the walls they won't be able to fall on you in your sleep.
    Here is it again julesnoise.com/1-2/
    Let me know if the link works.

The link worked...I'm seriously going to buy a roll of plastic...we're snowed in at the moment but this will be yet another trick I'll try! My heat treatment guy doesn't think these are bedbug bites but I know they are. I've seen the bugs dead, had it confirmed by orkin when this first began and the bites look the same as before. Ugh!!! I'm so sick of this! I'm thankful for this community. I feel so alone so having you all helps!

25. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 3 2016 11:37:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Should I have them re-heat?

26. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 3 2016 13:49:37
    #

Login to Send PM

So my heat treatment guy just called me. They said the bites my daughter has doesn't look bed bug related. He said he's going to come and treat my main floor of my house and use extra heater in my daughters room. Not sure how good that will be but I guess we shall see. Just a little back ground on my house, we have a one story house but our basement is finished and has a bed room. So I'm a bit skeptical.

27. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 4 2016 14:48:37
    #

Login to Send PM

momtwins - 1 day ago  » 
    So my heat treatment guy just called me. They said the bites my daughter has doesn't look bed bug related. He said he's going to come and treat my main floor of my house and use extra heater in my daughters room. Not sure how good that will be but I guess we shall see. Just a little back ground on my house, we have a one story house but our basement is finished and has a bed room. So I'm a bit skeptical.

The standard protocol with heat treatment these days seems to include using dusts or residual sprays to kill any stragglers. Ask if the company will do this also.

I gather that the only visual evidence you have seen are dead bed bugs. Those could have been killed by the treatment.

Consider carefully whether your daughter is being bitten elsewhere. You and your friend got bed bugs from some other source or sources. Is it possible that it's a daycare, school, or another home that your daughter frequents?

Keep in mind bed bug bite reactions can be delayed by a days, a week or more.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  28. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 4 2016 23:51:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 8 hours ago  » 

momtwins - 1 day ago  » 

The standard protocol with heat treatment these days seems to include using dusts or residual sprays to kill any stragglers. Ask if the company will do this also.
    I gather that the only visual evidence you have seen are dead bed bugs. Those could have been killed by the treatment.
    Consider carefully whether your daughter is being bitten elsewhere. You and your friend got bed bugs from some other source or sources. Is it possible that it's a daycare, school, or another home that your daughter frequents?
    Keep in mind bed bug bite reactions can be delayed by a days, a week or more.

I haven't considered that the bites may be coming from somewhere other than home. I just feel like what are the odds. Besides my kiddos are all home bodies other than school. Also the guy doing our treatment is sure the bites don't look like BB bites. Well they look like they always did to me. Again I feel like what would the odds be that we had/have BB's and now something else also. I hate wondering if they are delayed reactions. Ugh it's annoying not knowing.

I'm still leery about them only heating my main floor. Also I'm fairly sure they only use heat. I have some DE but I'm not sure how I would apply it. I can't find a proper duster. Would DE be sufficient? Also could I apply it with a tiny paint brush or by hand?

29. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Feb 6 2016 16:41:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Here I sit sweating like crazy. Had our second heat treatment done today praying that this time it works!

30. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 7 2016 19:17:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Started a new count down after 2nd heat treatment. Day one down...just crossing my fingers!

31. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 7 2016 20:48:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't considered that the bites may be coming from somewhere other than home. I just feel like what are the odds. Besides my kiddos are all home bodies other than school.

If your friends had them and your kids had them, the school could have them. It's possible.

32. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Feb 7 2016 20:51:19
    #

Login to Send PM

To answer your question, DE can be applied lightly with a brush like you'd use for blush. It is often misapplied and overapplied. We have a FAQ which may help also.

It would not hurt to ask the company if they can apply pesticides or dusts as a follow-up. It really is pretty common practice now.

33. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 8 2016 6:17:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 9 hours ago  » 
    To answer your question, DE can be applied lightly with a brush like you'd use for blush. It is often misapplied and overapplied. We have a FAQ which may help also.
    It would not hurt to ask the company if they can apply pesticides or dusts as a follow-up. It really is pretty common practice now.

I used a small pain brush and put a very fine dusting all over baseboards and bed. The company said "dust" don't work and they only use heat. But I did it myself lol. Thanks for your response.

34. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 12 2016 19:32:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm on day six with no sign no bites! Still fingers crossed and praying!

35. moenine9

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 12 2016 20:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Momtwins- has your daughter had the same reaction to the bites from te first time she was bit to these recent bites your found? I'm curious if they can get less severe after the first bites occured

36. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 12 2016 22:23:55
    #

Login to Send PM

moenine9 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Momtwins- has your daughter had the same reaction to the bites from te first time she was bit to these recent bites your found? I'm curious if they can get less severe after the first bites occured

They seem to fade faster. They still itch her like crazy but we use and anti itch cream. She has none bow thank God! But anyways the reaction is the same, big itchy welts that lasted about 7-10 days (fade to look like bruise) the last bites she had seemed to fade/heal in about 3-4 days.

37. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 16 2016 21:39:07
    #

Login to Send PM

We are on day 10 of no bites. Never saw any signs so not much to look for but I still search. Still crossing my fingers and saying my prayers!

38. DeterminedToGetRidOfThem

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Feb 17 2016 14:21:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Crossing my fingers for you too. This a nightmare. :-\

39. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Feb 18 2016 1:24:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I fell asleep on my couch tonight. Now I've got an itchy spot in my hand. Feeling paranoid so I did a majosearxh of my couch. No signs but noe I'm feeling wide awake. Ugh! Please don't let it be!

40. ibelieveinHellnow

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 22 2016 2:34:40
    #

Login to Send PM

This makes me want to take out a loan for a heat treatment!

41. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 23 2016 10:07:27
    #

Login to Send PM

So my daughter has had no new bites she has been bite free for 2 and a half weeks. Today however I was playing on the floor with our dog and about 10 minutes later I had an itchy welt on my knee. I have long pants on but still there was something. Ugh not sure what is is but feeling a bit nervous!

42. Dreamless

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 10 2016 15:16:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh no. I'm so sorry. How did things end up?

43. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2016 22:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Well it's been about 4 months...we have been in the clear. However I've been getting bites. I don't wake up with them but seem to come after being outside. I'm thinking mosquito bites but I'm not sure. I took my dog on a long walk and after about 45 min walking I got this itch. Come home to a huge itchy welt on my inner thigh. Seems like a weird place for a mosquito bite but I'm praying that's all it is. Thoughts?

44. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2016 1:00:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Mosquitos can bite through clothing so it could be a mosquito bite. If your children are not bitten either then you are probably in the clear. I suppose a weekly inspection of beds and couch could be reassuring.
    Not being able to differentiate between the usual summer insect bites and bob bites has been worrying me too.

45. Dubaibugs

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2016 5:26:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Your kids play with your friends kids right? May be they are getting reintroduced in your house. Did your friend treat her house?

46. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2016 7:25:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I do still watch the same kids. I'll keep searching my house. However I never had much luck with that. I wonder if pest control would do a search again for me. I'm pretty sure I'll never be the same after bb's ugh!

47. cvancil85

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2016 8:00:50
    #

Login to Send PM

If their house was not treated its very possible that are coming back in. It took us several months of having them to realize we have them and I get but I'm my bed but daily searches still have not turned up their nest in my room

48. cvancil85

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2016 8:01:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Get bit in my bed I meant

49. bugsinromeitaly

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2016 6:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I stayed in An AirBnB in Rome for 2 nights and as we were packing up on our last morning, I found a bedbug on the clothe headboard. It seemed to be dead as it wasn't moving, even when we touched it. We have no bites (slept 2 nights in bed), couldn't find any more bedbugs I'm sheets, pillow, mattress or headboard. We also found what appeared to be (alive) silverfish behind the headboard, crawling in and out of the walls. Please help!! What's our risk of taking them back to NYC with us?

50. bugsinromeitaly

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2016 6:24:04
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I stayed in An AirBnB in Rome for 2 nights and as we were packing up on our last morning, I found a bedbug on the clothe headboard. It seemed to be dead as it wasn't moving, even when we touched it. We have no bites (slept 2 nights in bed), couldn't find any more bedbugs I'm sheets, pillow, mattress or headboard. We also found what appeared to be (alive) silverfish behind the headboard, crawling in and out of the walls. Please help!! What's our risk of taking them back to NYC with us?

51. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2016 6:54:38
    #

Login to Send PM

52. bugsinromeitaly

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2016 7:07:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you mean dead bugs? I couldn't find dead bugs mentioned in the links you sent.

53. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2016 11:54:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I meant dead bugs; it is the spell checker on the Apple OS! The link was to help you work out what to do when travelling. Bi was just commenting that it was better to find dead bugs than live ones

54. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 30 2016 14:45:03
    #

Login to Send PM

So today my daughter has 6 bites. One on her back the rest are down her legs and on foot. They look really big and like a welt. I've searched her room with no luck. However I never had much luck before. How the heck can I tell? I have some climb ups but they aren't the best and they show no signs. I see no signs at all. Help!

55. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 10 2016 12:26:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Found a live bug!!!! Why?? What am I gonna do?

56. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 11 2016 0:27:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I've officially been driven to drinking. Tore my house apart found nothing not a trace. Just thee little nasty bug from this morning. I had a drink and now I shall sleep and the the bugs feed. I guess I'm gonna she'll out another $1300 or more just to do it again in 9 months.

57. OpenMyEyes

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 10:56:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Gosh, I am so sorry. After forking out that money, you should be bed bug free! Your story is absolutely terrifying to me because I have been dealing with these bugs for almost a year now. Yesterday, I signed with an exterminator, and put down a down payment for professional treatment. I have heard about the heat treatment on here, but the exterminator said we needed a chemical treatment, and even if we did a heat treatment, he would still use chemicals. So he recommended doing chemical only, and feels confident that he will rid them all.

Sorry for blabbing on, my point of this is that I would not go with the same heat treatment company if they do not, at the very least, pair it with some sort of chemical treatment. The exterminator told me that with the heat treatment, there are places that the bedbugs hide and can be unaffected by it, and that it could take months for them to come back after heat treatment, but that they usually do.

I love that you are updating, and I hope that whatever route you choose, that it eliminates your problem!
    I hope

58. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 23:00:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the comment OpenMyEyes. This morning my daughter had 5 bites so I know they're back 100%! I've been talking with the people that did my heat treatment and I think they would work out a deal with me but now I'm wondering if I should just try Orkin who will do a chemical treatment and come back for 3 months I believe? I just have no idea what to do anymore. I don't use this site as much as I should but I was finally starting to feel a bit safe. I seriously have no one to talk to about this problem. Even my husband disconnect from the situation and it all falls on me. Late night because I can't sleep frantically searching my house, constantly vacuuming and running things through the dryer it's seriously maddening!

59. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 23:17:32
    #

Login to Send PM

momtwins,

I would post a photo for ID just to be sure.

Note that if bed bugs came back after 9 months, and there were no visual signs in that time, it is likely a new introduction. Any idea where they came from?

60. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 23:24:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 3 minutes ago  » 
    momtwins,
    I would post a photo for ID just to be sure.
    Note that if bed bugs came back after 9 months, and there were no visual signs in that time, it is likely a new introduction. Any idea where they came from?

I honestly don't think I can post a picture. I'll try in a min. I hate to play the blame game but my daughter had a friend stay the weekend a few weeks ago. The next week my youngest daughter had bites. My family called me crazy but I could tell that's what they were. Then the next week my daughter brought me a bug. She said I don't think this is anything but look. I looked and knew it was a bed bug. Now this morning she has 5 bites on her shoulder. I'll try and post a picture.

61. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 0:11:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Bug found Wednesday Aug. 9th 2016

62. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 0:16:29
    #

Login to Send PM

63. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 0:21:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hopefully y'all see the pictures. Anyways I just looked over my posts and about 2 months ago I was thinking I was bitten? So maybe we've had them? Also my last treatment was February so it hasn't been that long I guess but it all seems off! Also sorry the pictures aren't that good.

64. OpenMyEyes

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 6:29:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh, looks like one of them bastards to me.

& I hear ya on the husband part. He has helped me out with attempting to treat the couches and I am grateful that he finally opened his eyes and helped me out with that. But last night, he told me to rest because I had work in the morning. I told him that we can rest after these bugs are gone and that I hate to inform him, but I need his help this weekend with prepping while I am at work!

It looks like you detected early enough if you aren't finding nests...that's a good thing in my book!

65. sharonp

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2016 18:21:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Momtwins,
    You mentioned in a post you had some beds that did not have post but some kind of slats of wood on the floor. Do you have carpet under those beds and have you looked under those beds to see if anything is under the beds? I had my bed on a wood frame that was low to the floor, and I found nymphs and castings under the bed on the carpet. I finally went out and bought a metal frame that has plastic on the legs.

66. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 5:19:53
    #

Login to Send PM

If it were me, I'd get chemical treatments now.

Did you friend get her bb problem taken care of? If not, this is going to sound harsh, but I would stop watching those kids.

67. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 15:00:51
    #

Login to Send PM

sharonp - 20 hours ago  » 
    Momtwins,
    You mentioned in a post you had some beds that did not have post but some kind of slats of wood on the floor. Do you have carpet under those beds and have you looked under those beds to see if anything is under the beds? I had my bed on a wood frame that was low to the floor, and I found nymphs and castings under the bed on the carpet. I finally went out and bought a metal frame that has plastic on the legs.

I just took a break from again cleaning my daughters room. This kills me because we just bought her this stinking bed when we had the last problem but it does seem like it would help.

68. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 15:04:17
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 9 hours ago  » 
    If it were me, I'd get chemical treatments now.
    Did you friend get her bb problem taken care of? If not, this is going to sound harsh, but I would stop watching those kids.

So you think chemical treatment this time? I'm confused as to which route to take. I'm pretty sure I'm just done with watching kids. This same family claims they are free and clear but I'm done risking the constant traffic of people. It's hard because that's my job... But they also shared lice this year. However as crazy as it sounds I'd take lice over bed bugs any day!

69. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 16:16:01
    #

Login to Send PM

So you think chemical treatment this time?

I'm not a pro. I had bed bugs twice (2014, and again this year).

I would go the chemical route because (a) you had heat done twice and you still have problems and (b) heat has no residual effect. As pointed out above, many PCOs put down dust as part of a heat treatment. It's too bad the company you hired didn't.

In 2014 we had 2 chemical treatments and that was it. This year we had the odd straggler come in from adjacent units. We don't have any in our unit now as far as I can tell (no bites) but we are getting a 2nd treatment this week as a precaution.

70. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2016 18:07:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree-- if there's any chance the heat treatments failed, I would not go that route again.

Keep in mind your daughter may be exposed at school or friends' homes or someone else may be exposed outside the home and have brought them in.

71. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 15 2016 9:42:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I have pest control coming today. I'm leaning towards using them instead of my old heat company. I'm pretty sure they will stay involved longer. I'm so excited to get treatment they can't get here soon enough. I'm poor lol but I'm ready to eat ramen noodles just so I can pay and get this treatment ASAP! I hope they include mattress encasements and such. I'm also looking at getting another new bed for my daughter. Just a cheap metal frame bed. She also just needs new mattress. Hers how some holes (don't judge me) and I never realized they could go deep within a mattress so maybe that's why I don't find them?

72. basementdweller

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 15 2016 11:33:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd toss out any mattress that have holes or tears in them. Yeah you could cover it with a bed bug proof encasement, however one tiny tear or rip in it and bed bugs can and will come out of it. I just wouldn't take a chance.

73. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 16 2016 0:38:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm just going to get new mattresses all around. Pest control couldn't make it today I guess they had some bat issue at a hotel lol. Hope they make it tomorrow. Seem like I need to start a bank account just as a bed bug reserve ugh.

74. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 16 2016 3:50:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bug nymphs stuck in the tape samples.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  75. Qing

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2016 10:26:38
    #

Login to Send PM

momtwins - 1 day ago  » 
    I'm just going to get new mattresses all around. Pest control couldn't make it today I guess they had some bat issue at a hotel lol. Hope they make it tomorrow. Seem like I need to start a bank account just as a bed bug reserve ugh.

Hi, We have bedbug problem for almost 3 years, and I tried so many ways to get rid of them but all failed. I don't suggest you to use chemical treatment because we hired a big company to treat my house and they spray 3 times and we still have bites, at last they refused to come to my house again because they said we did not find any bedbugs. So we wasted $1200 for nothing. Do not waste your money. The chemical will not kill the bugs, the bugs will come back when the chemical is not strong enough. Sorry about my English, I am not native English speaker, hopefully you can understand me.

76. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 22:52:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Well finally got my inspection. I have bug and showed them. They searched and found nothing. They refuse to treat me. Then tried to say maybe it's a bat bug!!!! I'm so very annoyed! I have proof I saved the bug and my daughter is getting bitten!!!

77. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 20:30:52
    #

Login to Send PM

So what can I do if pest control refuses to treat me?

78. sleeplessinShelbyville

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 20:59:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Call another company or self treat. do something with the mattress. great advise on here to self treat. P Bello has some great advice on what to treat and what to use. nobugsonme is pretty good at answering questions to. I self treated and am hoping my problem is taken care of. but I will continue to do routine sprays and checks. I hope you get it taken care of. I hate these BUGS.

79. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2016 22:44:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I would try another company.

80. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 0:09:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I've tried 3 companies not counting my heat treatment ppl who are avoiding me. Appearantly if they don't find signs they wind treat. I bought some ortho Max defense because a pest control guy said it's basically what they use. Even though bed bugs aren't listed on the bottle. I've got another guy coming next week. I don't know why they won't just treat me. You've all seen the bug and my daughter is still getting bit. I so thankful for everyone on this site!

81. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 5:52:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Vacuum around with a new bag or a cleaned container to collect any specimens. Have you kept any monitors out to capture crawling bugs?
    Why use a product that doesn't have bed bugs on the label? Yes, the chemicals will kill them, but it's just opening up more issues down the road with any PCO/PMP you use.

82. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2016 6:41:22
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 45 minutes ago  » 
    Vacuum around with a new bag or a cleaned container to collect any specimens. Have you kept any monitors out to capture crawling bugs?
    Why use a product that doesn't have bed bugs on the label? Yes, the chemicals will kill them, but it's just opening up more issues down the road with any PCO/PMP you use.

The people who told me that they aren't allowed to treat me told me what to use. And I guess I'm just desperate to get rid of them. I have climb up but they're not good ones. I'm going to try your idea of vacuuming and searching the contents. Maybe I'm just losing it. What with the bites and finding the bug I assume that was enough proof. Thanks for your advice and I hope me using this chemical doesn't hinder me getting a real treatment!

83. Qing

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 27 2016 9:39:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Put a plastic sheet between mattress and spring box, it helps. Search for plastic sheet in this forum, you will know what to do.

84. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 29 2016 8:21:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Daughter woke yesterday with 3 bites on her arm... FINALLY found a fecal stain!

85. nomorebugs01

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 29 2016 10:09:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope you find a company that will chemically treat. I had every pest company to my house when my situation started 4 months ago and they all acted like I was crazy. I know for sure I saw an actual live bug on my bed prior to freaking out and calling. They all offered to treat but none of the treatments seemed like they would be effective based on the ungodly amount of research I did on Google. So I found a local guy that offered a heat treatment and seemed very honest as I've known of him in the past. Prior to him heating I had one crazy company come chemically treat and they literally sprayed every square inch of my house with a chemical (no idea what, they wouldn't answer that question) I didn't want them back. So heat treatment with residual spray and cimexa dust in every outlet and a loose baseboard in my bedroom. Two weeks saw nothing. Just a couple dry dead bugs. Then..... Started seeing them around my window in my bedroom. It's been a nightmare ever since. Chemical spray every two weeks regularly. Keep finding dead ones. No one with bites except the baby and they are rare. Lastnight I think I hit the jackpot....my dark wet cobwebbed basement. Found MANY dead ones there. Now I'm terrified they are in my wall. No idea what to do from here besides leave all of my belongings on the curb and move out.

86. bic

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 29 2016 10:23:02
    #

Login to Send PM

momtwins - I sent you a PM.

87. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 31 2016 8:59:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Pest control just left my house. So they found nothing. I guess I'm crazy! I don't know what to do. I have a garment steamer and my ortho home crap. I also have some diameatious earth. Any advice when no one believes me. He did confirm that the bug in the zip lock was a bed bug though.

88. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 1 2016 1:08:38
    #

Login to Send PM

If there's no evidence of bed bugs except the ones you caught, then you don't need treatment.

If your daughter is reacting to bites, remember those could be from days, or even a week or more ago. I don't know when you last found one, but consider if the bites could have occurred then. (They could also have other causes, given it's late summer.)

Another possibility is this is a new introduction. Whereever you got them in the first place, you could be getting them in again. Daughter's school, friends' homes, and other places she goes would be possibilites but not the only ones.

89. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 1 2016 11:06:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Found the bug 3 weeks ago.

90. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 1 2016 19:22:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Reintroduction or another cause may be more likely at that point.

91. momtwins

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 6 2016 13:53:30
    #

Login to Send PM

So far no bites in a week. No signs but apparently I won't find any lol...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982