Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Could this be evidence? Nothing else found with much searching.

(9 posts)
  1. VeryScared2FindOut

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Nov 25 2018 21:23:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I still have empty sticky traps in all the beds. Over the past almost 2 months I have searched all the beds, around all the beds, in the dressers, baseboards and anywhere that a playing card can slide into. Found nothing. Could these two things found in the past two days be evidence that is going to shatter the peace I had been feeling due to empty traps for so long? And...if this does appear to be possible evidence...why have I not found anything until now with my extensive searching? Husband not keen on having the Orkin man visit for an inspect...so I am stuck doing the reviews on my own...I just pray that if we have the buggers that he will let the Orkin man take care of them!!
    This oddity was found on my wall near the head of my bed. We do not have a headboard.
    No zoom: https://www.flickr.com/photos/144437358@N05/45326640864/in/dateposted-public/
    Zoom: https://www.flickr.com/photos/144437358@N05/31112150967/in/dateposted-public/
    This spot found on the side of my sheet.
    Before trying to smear: https://www.flickr.com/photos/144437358@N05/46051046381/in/dateposted-public/
    After q tipping with rubbing alcohol: https://www.flickr.com/photos/144437358@N05/32179978398/in/dateposted-public/

I understand that this is probably a super long shot to even get any kind of opinion...because it is reiterated over and over that only a bug is true evidence. I guess that I am grasping for something to help me prepare myself.

I appreciate any sound advice to help me in my search for evidence or peace of mind.

Thanks!

2. VeryScared2FindOut

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Nov 26 2018 20:45:45
    #

Login to Send PM

With all the places that I have looked...the only place that I have not looked really is ceiling. I have been focusing on the floor, lower walls, base boards, dressers and all things near sleeping areas. I have also checked the furniture in the living room. Is it possible that they are up high versus down low? Do they have a preference? I thought that their only preference is close to their food source...aka humans. Thanks!

3. keephopealive

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Nov 27 2018 7:13:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Very,

Here are my non expert thoughts...

I've sometimes heard experts on here say (when looking at a photo such as the one of your sheets) that the markings shown appear too "diffuse" which to my eyes looks to be the case with yours. Most photos of fecal traces I've seen are more concentrated and darker spots, like those from the tip of a pen and are normally concentrated directly next to the areas that bedbugs seek shelter (in cracks and crevices)

The ones on the wall are a bit odd but again, so many things could cause marks like that and an isolated mark like that on the wall would seem a bit unusual for bedbugs, given the above....

As you point out, bedbugs favor harborages close to the host and as such the most likely place for evidence would be the bed frame, mattress, headboard (not in your case), sofa (mostly underside) or possibly neighboring bedroom furniture, or the floor to wall junction.

As far as I can glean from other posts on this site, finding evidence at the wall to ceiling junction is almost always in significant infestations that have spread/dispersed (either due to closer harborages already being taken or chemicals dispersing the infestation) and as BigDummy has said before, from a bedbugs point of view travelling all that way when there are closer potential harborages would be like us travelling across town every night to eat rather than eating at home. If you had bedbugs, I would expect to see clear evidence in the places you're searching before anywhere else.

4. VeryScared2FindOut

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Nov 27 2018 8:20:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response keephopealive. It is just getting to me that everytime I start to get a feeling of ease...you know...that we are okay for now...bam...I see something else and it ratchets me up a few notches. I think that the imagined bug can be just as costly emotionally as the real thing.

5. keephopealive

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Nov 27 2018 9:06:57
    #

Login to Send PM

"I think that the imagined bug can be just as costly emotionally as the real thing."

I would have to agree with you, at least from my experience anyway. There have been days that I would rather find a bug just so that I could take action on something rather than spinning my wheels mentally.

I've decided to timetable my searches and am now looking for signs once a week and just keeping an eye out the rest of the time. I've stopped obsessing over marks on my skin and am slowly taking back my peace of mind. Oddly, I now feel much better positioned to deal with any unwelcome discoveries as a result. You could argue that by being less meticulous there is a chance I might not catch them as early (if they are even there at all), but I'll gladly do any extra bug killing work if its ever required and live like a normal person again in the meantime.

At the end of the day, I'd consider how long it is you need to go without seeing a bug before you'll feel relaxed again.... Is it 3 months? 6 months? A year? Or even longer than that??

One thing is for certain, given your eye for detail and general meticulousness, if you were ever to discover bedbugs then I would happily bet a large sum of money that they wouldn't be around for very long!

6. VeryScared2FindOut

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Nov 27 2018 9:30:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am going to hold on to that and try to feel better about things.

7. lsdrg706

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Nov 27 2018 9:32:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Logic helps kill the anxiety beast, but it takes time. I've got a longish post about that here somewhere from awhile ago, so I won't go into too much detail. Give yourself a reasonable inspection schedule and stick with to that.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Nov 27 2018 10:16:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Too red to be faecal:

20181121_095406 by T G, on Flickr

Too diffuse and homogenous in colour to be faecal:

20181125_192653 by T G, on Flickr

Better reference images here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjD5r8s2

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  9. VeryScared2FindOut

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Nov 27 2018 10:42:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone! I do appreciate all the help.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325