Could they be alive after 20 months?

(7 posts)
  1. coloradobb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 30 2017 22:35:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved into an apartment in Denver in September 2015 that was infected. I got bite that eventually swelled up huge. The landlord had someone come and spray, me and my roommate bagged all our stuff up and washed all of our clothes. I threw a bunch of my stuff away.

I then moved to a different apartment and kept most of my stuff bagged up in my car until December when I moved back to St. Louis Missouri. After that I left all my possible infested items bagged in my trunk and in the garage until like two days ago. So if any came with me they've been in there for around 20 months with no food.

I recently brought my stereo and my PS3 upstairs, I have gotten zero bites since leaving that first apartment in Denver at the end of september. But yesterday I saw these two little bites together that look like they could MAYBE be bb bites but I can't tell if I'm just freaking out and over reacting or not. I vacuumed my room today and washed my sheets. I rebagged my stereo and put some nuvan strips in with it just in case. I didn't see any signs at all. So my question is, is it possible for them to survive for longer then 18 months with no food in my garage and in my car trunk? They've gone through the seasons here. It gets cold in the winter and very hot and humid in the summer.

2. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 30 2017 22:44:02
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO told me 2 years to be safe. However, if it's just bites you're seeing, remember the time of year. It is Spring, and mosquitoes are starting to come out. All sorts of biting insects are around right now. So perhaps that is where you are getting your bites. I know I am losing my mind with every bump on me or the kids. If the dog scratches, I freak out. But they really could be coming from anything. I try to tell myself that until I have proof that they are BBs, they aren't BBs, so don't freak out. Easier said than done, I know.

Good luck!

3. coloradobb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 30 2017 23:31:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Crap 2 years now I'm extra worried... Thanks for your reply tho! I'm currently trying and failing to stay calm lol

4. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 31 2017 10:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

They are able to survive longer in colder temps. and I believe the 18 month mark is in colder weather. Considering it was all in your trunk and underwent hot Temps as well, I'd think even less than 18 months would have been sufficient. I wouldnt worry, I bet your bed bug problems are behind you.

People do 2 years because well... they are bed bugs and if you're going to wait 18 months, might as well wait 2 years to be safe.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  5. coloradobb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 31 2017 12:15:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for linking that study it was an interesting read for sure! I know you're probably right and I'm probably fine... but it's still a worry lol. I wonder if having them throughout the changing seasons effects their lifespan at all... like going from hot to cold to hot again...

6. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 31 2017 14:22:42
    #

Login to Send PM

coloradobb - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for linking that study it was an interesting read for sure! I know you're probably right and I'm probably fine... but it's still a worry lol. I wonder if having them throughout the changing seasons effects their lifespan at all... like going from hot to cold to hot again...

Those links are in my signature and show everyone I post on threads for the first time. They are good reads, but don't really pertain to your situation though. I imagine changing temperature may have some effect on their life span but while they tend to thrive in warmer temps. (70°F - 90°F), they also don't survive as long in warmer temps. Also, not all bed bugs live 18 months. Adults are more likely to live longer and not all adults live as long as others. If you kept 100 pet adult bed bugs and didn't feed them, after a few months, some would be dead and I imagine after a year a good number of them would be dead. So if you only had a few in your stuff, they didn't necessarily even last 18 months.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 31 2017 15:55:25
    #

Login to Send PM

20 months? I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,536 posts in 48,139 topics over 149 months by 21,209 of 21,563 members. Latest: John0094, Samworriesaboutbedbugs, thebooklouse