2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 6:31:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry, its bedbug related.

Not enough detail to confirm the species as bedbug, bat or bird but if you can find faecal material around the area its more likley to be the former rather than the later.

Best spend some time on the FAQ's to get up to speed on your options.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. mindkites

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 6:39:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Unfortunately, this is not my first experience with this scare. I'm quite familiar with the options AND the paranoia.

My girl had a new friend sleep over a few days ago. That's the only thing I can think of where it could have come from. We haven't traveled lately.

So far, this morning, I haven't been able to find any other evidence. I've done a search of the mattress and box spring. No faecal matter, shed skins or additional bugs so far.

Thanks for your input.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 6:51:57
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, in which case try and get higher resolution in focus image to confirm 100% Cimex lectularius or ask an entomologist to do a live confirmation.

A change to the sleep over protocol to include that in advance bedbug conversation would be advisable if it is bedbugs as its better to turn off the dripping tap than have to keep mopping the floor.

Also establishing a good self inspection and monitoring routine will help although too frequent can induce anxiety which you want to avoid.

David

5. mindkites

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 7:10:41
    #

Login to Send PM

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 7:47:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry the resolution needs to be high enough to look at the hairs on the side of the head to be 100%.

From what I can see I would lean heavily in favour of bedbugs in this case.

David

7. mindkites

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 8:03:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your help. I'm going to move forward as if I'm dealing with BBs.

The last time this happened, I had returned from a trip to Chicago. Received some [alleged] bites while I was there and assumed I brought them back. Though peculiarly the one bug we found at that time was also in my daughter's bed (which is on the second floor of our house, as opposed to the first floor master where my wife and I stay). If I remember correctly, it looked very similar to this one however, at the time I was less educated on the matter and hastily flushed it without thoroughly identifying it.

In any case we went through months of anxiety ridden searching and inspecting without ever finding any further evidence of an infestation and up to now have not had any sightings, bites, or otherwise evidence of bedbugs. This was more than 15 months ago. If we had bedbugs back then, our house would be crawling with them by now wouldn't they??

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 9:05:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The source is most likley to be associated with your daughter than you based on the location they are found in.

People rarely bring bedbugs into their homes in huge numbers unless its an infested item and in which case you see the faecal signs.

It is also possible to bring in a rogue male or immature in which case things remain persistent but will not grow until the opposite sex is brought in and they find each other.

Sorry its not a black and white answer but this issue is far from a binary problem.

David

9. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 9:19:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I would post this separately to get a quicker response. I would be highly suspicious of it being a nymph, as well, but will let the experts weigh in.

10. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 9:54:13
    #

Login to Send PM

No. Fleas aren't clear.

11. mindkites

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 10:03:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David. I really appreciate your input. Every thing you said in your last post validates every thing I have experienced now and in the past. The first time I dealt with this I spent countless hours researching, reading, gathering opinions and whatnot from this forum (which is fantastic by the way) and this time I'm trying to approach it with a level head.

One thing I learned is that although this can be a very serious situation and should be treated as such to some degree, the worst thing to do is to go off the handle with rash decisions and actions.

Thanks again for your help. Guys like you are a priceless resource to this forum.

Mike

PS: To Bengston, whether your little guy there is a bed bug or not, the best thing you can do for yourself and for the level of anxiety that goes with this problem is to read, read, read and learn as much as you can about these insects. Start with the FAQ section of this forum and educate yourself.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 10:39:34
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 1 hour ago  » 
    I would post this separately to get a quicker response. I would be highly suspicious of it being a nymph, as well, but will let the experts weigh in.

Bengston's image was reposted in this thread, and I deleted it here to avoid having two discussions of it on two threads.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 10:53:58
    #

Login to Send PM

The adult bed bug is a male. Already answered about the pale nymph creature under that post.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  14. mindkites

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 11:19:52
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 24 minutes ago  » 
    The adult bed bug is a male. Already answered about the pale nymph creature under that post.

Lou - just for clarification - are you saying the image that I linked in my initial post is a male adult bed bug?

Thanks,
    Mike

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 11:26:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes he is.

David

16. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 12:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 155 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993