Could my bed bugs be coming from my neighbors/laundry/other questions

(3 posts)
  1. Bee

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Feb 9 2018 17:25:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved into a new apartment 3 months ago. I didn’t notice anything for the first month. Then, I started seeing a bed bug once in a while...maybe once every couple of weeks. I’ve seen them about 4 times total.
    I think I was in denial at first, because I don’t have any other signs. I think I might have had a small cluster of bites on my leg once, but I’m not sure. I have a metal bed frame and no box spring, but I haven’t seen any blood marks or any other tell tale signs.
    Is it possible my downstairs neighbors have an infestation and I just get one that crawls it’s way into my apartment once in a while?
    Either way, I want to make sure I am not going to get a full on infestation. I looked at way more pictures of bugs than I would have ever liked too. I was desperately hoping the bugs were carpet beetles or something of the like, but unfortunately, they look just like all the google images pictures I looked up of bed bugs ☹️. Here is a list of questions I have so I can start killing them the right way:

1. I’m not sure how to about ridding them from my clothing. I haven’t seen any in my laundry or anything, but I don’t want to take the risk either. The thing is I have A LOT of clothing. It doesn’t seem reasonable to take it all to the laundry mat and use their dryers. I’d be taking up every dryer and they probably still wouldn’t fit. Is there any other way? Also, many many of the clothes are delicates(about half). . I cannot run them in a hot dryer as they will be ruined. Any suggestions for that?
    2. In the mean time, I NEED to do laundry but I’ve been too paranoid to take it to my parents like I usually do. I don’t want them to get bed bugs in their house. I’m not sure I understand how to bed bug laundry bags I’ve seen work. Do you throw them in the washer and dryer in the bag? Will that ensure I don’t transfer them to my parents? Does anybody have recommendations for the best laundry bags?
    3. I bought some spray to spray on furniture and cracks and crevices. I’m thinking I will move all of my clothes in the hallway outside of my apartment and go crazy with the spray. Is moving my clothes necessary? Is there anything else I should do? Unfortunately an exterminator is not in my budget.
    4. I’m in a no-lease apartment which I’m SO happy about since I found these bugs. Moving is annoying but bed bugs are worse. I want to try to find a new apartment within the next couple months. I’m still going to try to rid them from my apartment now, but I don’t want to risk transferring them to a new apartment. Is it a good idea to pre spray my new apartment before I move my stuff in? Or will that not do anything?

Thanks in advance! I’ve been looking at this forum since I saw the first one and I finally made an account to ask all of these specific questions I have.

2. Pattycake

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Feb 9 2018 18:40:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I suggest you start by reading the FAQs on this forum. By no means should you take your clothes to your parents house.

3. thirdusername

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Feb 10 2018 2:41:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Where are you located?
    In many areas of the US and Canada the landlord must pay for treatment.

I don't know what bug proof laundry bags are for.
    I guess they keep bugs from getting in or out.

I wouldn't put clothes in the hall, you might spread the bugs.

I washed and bagged most of my clothes.
    I just use a week's worth of clothes and do laundry weekly.

Read the FAQs but feel free to post here too
    There's a lot of people going/gone through the same thing so there is lots of sympathy.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,474 posts in 44,027 topics over 133 months by 19,280 of 19,908 members. Latest: ehboys, Ohio111111, trez1336