Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Could it really not be bedbugs?!

(13 posts)
  1. moenine9

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 15:51:24
    #

Login to Send PM

So not going to go into my story- most of you already know. Two months of skin reactions, no definitive evidence of bedbugs. Finally brought my son to a dermatologist. They think it’s atopic dermatitis. I am of course skeptical after all the stories I have read on here from people posting about Drs miss diagnosing bedbug bites as something else. But keeping my fingers crossed it is in fact eczema! I’ll keep you posted- I have been convinced it’s bedbugs and if this medicine and creams work it will go to show how easy it is to miss interpret skin reactions and fall into the bedbug rabbit hole

2. lalmaroad

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 15:58:51
    #

Login to Send PM

My two-year-old son has had mild 2 severe eczema at times since he has been born. And they very much resemble bed bug bites that he has gotten in the past. But there are subtle differences but enough to freak you out so yes it is very possible you do not have bed bugs .😁

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
  3. moenine9

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 16:16:16
    #

Login to Send PM

What subtle differences have you noticed?

4. lalmaroad

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 16:48:47
    #

Login to Send PM

So, with eczema it can look like bug bites,be very rash like and have some open places. The difference I have observed with my child is that with eczema it will have a rough raised patches in the area of the rash as with his bed bug bites it was rashy and raised welt but not rough and at times scaly patches of skin like eczema.
    Sometimes he gets a single red raised little spot on his cheek or leg.

5. moenine9

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 17:03:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah okay. When you mention single red raised spot on cheek and leg are you referring to eczema? Because my son got jump like tiny red marks that turned into a a formed raised red itchy area that now has progressed to scaly rough patches (this was on his shin and hip manly) but he also gets skin colored bumps that look like maybe a little fluid in it that then turns into a rough mark. He also gets red raised single bumps that sometimes has clear fluid in it. He gets such a variety in the way they look lol. Praying the medicines work. He’s never had eczema but I have psoriasis and my siblings have eczema. This all has started after moving to a very hot humid and allergy filled location in North Carolina.

6. moenine9

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 17:06:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Well you saw the photos I sent you haha- but yeah fingers crossed!

7. lalmaroad

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 17:18:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, the single small bump was due to eczema with my son to clarify. Eczema is weird.

8. Brij719

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 19:22:18
    #

Login to Send PM

My toddler often gets marks that I inspect and they are due to eczema. She also has talons for fingernails and scratches herself constantly. They sometimes welt up big but once they go down you can see that is was a scratch. Babies and kids have such sensitive skin. She also gets drool rashes around her mouth and neck when teething. .

9. moenine9

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 19:40:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah- I was surprised that this is the first time we have had issues of eczema as he’s nearly six years old. The dr said with him scratching he could also be causing staph infection which could explain the red inflamed spots.

10. Brij719

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 20:06:10
    #

Login to Send PM

My daughter had staph last year and it looked so much like bites. But it wasn’t. Her dr said staph lives on the skin and the littlest thing can cause it to get inflamed. I had a cream to use when it got bad. That’s why I tend to not diagnose anything on her as a bite. We also do not have bb. Had them 3 years ago before she was born.

11. moenine9

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 20:48:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your input. I feel much more assured that this may be the root of our mysterious skin issues.

12. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 23:53:28
    #

Login to Send PM

The pictures of the bites you have shown us didn‘t look like bites to me, too.

13. moenine9

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Sep 10 2019 11:18:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah it’s interesting- as of late he’s been getting a variety in his skin reaction appearance.

Even if it does turn out to be eczema it’s weird it can present in so many different ways on one person.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82