(5 posts)
  1. basstrombone24

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Aug 1 2010 23:42:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

Thanks for creating this forum for the woes of bed bugs! About 3 months ago I developed an itchy patch on my right wrist and when I saw my doctor she said it was a contact dermatitis and gave me some prednisone for it. It didn't seem to clear anything up so I went to another doctor and he said it was hives. I'm taking Allegra for them but it doesn't seem to be working either (any type of antihistamine should clear up hives quickly). The itchy spots spread to my legs, feet and lower back as well.
    One day I noticed a bug crawling on my mattress and when I killed it some blood leaked out. Just now I saw another one come from under my TV. Both sightings were about two weeks apart and during the day/early evening. My mattress and mattress pad are both white and there are no traces of any blood stains that would be left by bed bugs. The two that I killed had the oval shape that I see online. I've looked everywhere but can't find any trace of them but these itchy welts keep showing up. Has any one else seen bed bugs during the day? Or can you only find them at night when they are out to feed?

Thanks again!

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Aug 1 2010 23:57:50
    #

Login to Send PM

A lot would have to do with sleeping patters and .. while they do like to use the cover of night to feed, anything is possible. I don't know about "contact" dermatitis .. but I would recommend finding a good quality PCO in your area to do a Bed Bug inspection.

I don't like the sound of blood coming out of a squashed bug and that is reason I feel you should invest in an inspection. Keep in mind that it's said the "pro's" miss low level infestations 70% of the time ... so you could very well be missing something. Just make sure you find the right company to do the inspection.

Good Luck, KQ

3. basstrombone24

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 2 2010 0:38:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply,

BTW my doctor said that contact dermatitis is an allergic reaction from skin coming in contact with something that aggravates it. I become suspicious when the prednisone didn't take care of it as that is a strong drug.

I forgot to mention in my last post that my lease is up in two months so I don't want to pay for someone to take a look as I'm moving soon. How can one prevent taking bed bugs along with you to your new apartment? I'm guessing wash everything well?

My last question is how long do bites usually last? Mine seem to have stuck around for awhile. I do wake up scratching them alot at night, which probably doesn't help.

Thanks,

4. Callisto

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 2 2010 1:27:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Speaking as someone who just moved into an apartment that was infested, please please please try to confirm whether you have an infestation prior to your moveout and report it to your landlord. If you do have an infestation and you don't say anything you'll be causing a lot of grief for the next people to live in your apartment. I found the first signs in my bed, but if we had thought to look before we began moving my stuff in, we would have known right away. You can try checking the baseboards around where your bed is; if you notice black dots, it's a pretty good indicator. (The nest in my apartment was in the baseboards right where the previous tenants had their beds).

I'm not an expert, but it's my understanding that everyone reacts a little differently to the bites. In my case, the bites I first noticed two weeks ago were raised and red for the first day, then sort of merged into red patches the next day, then gradually faded to red pinpricks that still sort of itch and show no signs of fading further

5. RuinedforLife

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 2 2010 2:35:04
    #

Login to Send PM

basstrombone24 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply,
    BTW my doctor said that contact dermatitis is an allergic reaction from skin coming in contact with something that aggravates it. I become suspicious when the prednisone didn't take care of it as that is a strong drug.
    I forgot to mention in my last post that my lease is up in two months so I don't want to pay for someone to take a look as I'm moving soon. How can one prevent taking bed bugs along with you to your new apartment? I'm guessing wash everything well?
    My last question is how long do bites usually last? Mine seem to have stuck around for awhile. I do wake up scratching them alot at night, which probably doesn't help.

Thanks,

It's nearly impossible to not take them with you unless you wash even your wallet or handbag and shoes and dry them all for over an hour on 140degree heat. How do you plan to do that? Yor best bet is vikane. It costs a fortune but works.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,805 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen