Could I have infested my yard?

(8 posts)
  1. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2015 5:58:35
    #

Login to Send PM

We're holding our breath in hopes that we only had one bug ($1500-2000 of paranoia later...)
    But now I am wondering about the couch and chair we turfed outside. The couch is where we found the bug, and dogs said both had them. It's winter now but not cold enough to kill bugs--and we didn't know to wrap them up. Could there now be bedbugs in my yard who are going to crawl back into the house or grab onto us if we're out in the yard come spring?

The city garbage will only allow one big furniture item every two weeks, so the chair is now gone but we're waiting for next collection to dispose of the couch.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2015 7:20:30
    #

Login to Send PM

If they were against the house and it were warm, I would think a bit about it, but it's cold and they would just stay on the couch. Were those items badly infested? One bug had been seen? No one suggested any treatment for the furniture other than throwing them away? Canine detection but no visual verification?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2015 7:26:10
    #

Login to Send PM

We only found one bug, on the sofa. We opted to throw them out because we were throwing them Out anyway--we were supposed to be getting a new sectional delivered the next day. They're away from the house (and as I said chair is gone.) Dogs alerted to both pieces of furniture but no visual confirmation, no. Our PCO cracked the baseboard (only other place dogs alerted to, again no visual confirmation) and found nothing. I'm just concerned I guess that eggs could fall on the ground and hatch in the grass in the spring? Assuming there are any at all--we probably wasted our time and money. (It's been over a week since the first bug was seen and nothing has been seen anywhere since.)

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2015 8:52:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you're giving the bugs too much credit, they cannot plan an attack. If there are eggs I don't think they detach from the couch, so the nymphs would leave with the couch when picked up by the garbage truck.

5. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2015 16:43:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess I was just imagining a live bug living under the snow all winter and then like, grabbing a pant leg when I'm out in my yard in the spring and coming back inside... Not likely to happen?

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2015 16:48:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Not likely, no.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2015 17:24:25
    #

Login to Send PM

SODABOTTLEBB - 9 hours ago  » 
    We only found one bug, on the sofa. We opted to throw them out because we were throwing them Out anyway--we were supposed to be getting a new sectional delivered the next day. They're away from the house (and as I said chair is gone.) Dogs alerted to both pieces of furniture but no visual confirmation, no. Our PCO cracked the baseboard (only other place dogs alerted to, again no visual confirmation) and found nothing. I'm just concerned I guess that eggs could fall on the ground and hatch in the grass in the spring? Assuming there are any at all--we probably wasted our time and money. (It's been over a week since the first bug was seen and nothing has been seen anywhere since.)

Eggs are glued in place, can't roll away and hatch in the spring. I don't really know how "infested" you really were.

8. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2015 17:33:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou. The PCO put a lot of faith in the dogs but also said our bugs might be "dormant" despite us living in the house and sleeping downstairs. He agreed after tearing up our house and spraying that it might have just been the one, he saw nothing. I'm going to get some passive monitors and maybe one active monitor for the living room to ease my mind.

Good to know if there were bugs in the couch (which is now buried in snow) they'll go away with the garbage and I won't have to be afraid to garden in the spring

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,196 posts in 50,137 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69