could I have gotten bugs in the mail? not sure if paranoid or valid concern

(3 posts)
  1. bpm12

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 7 2018 13:35:01
    #

Login to Send PM

An acquaintance sent me a package back in mid June, then later in mid- to late- July they found they had some bed bugs - at the time, no adults, only nymphs. Their inspector said they probably had them no more than a month, which is 2 weeks after they shipped my package. The person originally thought they picked them up from a trip in early July, BUT have since started to worry that they may have had them longer but they were dormant (house recently purchased), which has gotten me more worked up. Their infestation is also a lot worse than they thought.

Am I being paranoid that I got them from that package? I had the box sitting in my room for about a month before I discarded the packaging and put the contents in the basement. Since they told me, I've checked the corners of my mattress, took a peek under it at the top of the box spring, checked my sheets and baseboards, and haven't found any fecal specs, but I haven't been able to do a thorough check. I haven't had any bites that I can tell, no itchy red spots, but I know not everyone reacts or reacts differently. Every itch triggers my anxiety though.

I live with multiple people so I'm unable to check anything other than my own room, the common room, and the basement (no ones ever down there it's all storage) which I haven't been able to do either yet, but no one is getting bites.

I guess I'm mainly scared that there were at least a pair of male and female eggs or nymphs on the package, and since they take so long to populate, that they're here and I won't see them until third or fourth generation and it's way too late. Is this a valid concern or am I overthinking it? Should I take precautions or is that unnecessary since it's been 7.5 weeks of no signs?
    (I can't do any thorough checking for about 2 more weeks due to some health problems).

TL;DR:
    - someone sent me a package
    - they ended up getting bed bugs a couple weeks later, possibly earlier
    - am I at risk for them now? how do I tell other than wait??

2. micachica

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 7 2018 16:30:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Passive monitor on your bed and waiting to see if a bed bug pops up on it. Or keep checking for signs. If it eats, it poops. If they’re in your house you’ll see the signs (fecal stains, cast skins, bugs) In my opinion after almost 2 months the signs would be there and pretty easy to spot.

3. bpm12

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Aug 7 2018 21:01:39
    #

Login to Send PM

micachica - 4 hours ago  » 
    Passive monitor on your bed and waiting to see if a bed bug pops up on it. Or keep checking for signs. If it eats, it poops. If they’re in your house you’ll see the signs (fecal stains, cast skins, bugs) In my opinion after almost 2 months the signs would be there and pretty easy to spot.

thank you for your comment. I guess I worry that I'm missing them? I don't know how bad they'd be after 2 months, every thing I tried to look for just said "they breed slowly." No actual bugs or cast skins anywhere that I've seen.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,538 posts in 45,811 topics over 139 months by 20,174 of 20,973 members. Latest: busbugs, jklyczek, Thisguy97