Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Cost of thermal treatment in New York City went up $500 in one year

(4 posts)
  1. iamst5

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2012 20:26:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! I need help. Should the cost to heat a 3 bedroom apartment in Manhattan (1100 sq ft) be $4,200? We had two estimates and both came in at $4,200. Last year it was $3,700. Can other people tell me what they have paid in NYC and the company they used?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2012 21:23:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I would search threads tagged NYC thermal and NYC heat.

There are posts there about using different providers. I would then call all the firms --
    I would not assume the pricing is identical.

Note: methods may not be identical either. Firms who describe their methods as "thermal" are probably using one technology; those who talk about "heat" are using one of several others.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 27 2012 8:41:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Just shedding some light on heat and thermal. Thermal remediation was at first used generically, but one company has rights to it through a patent and have sent cease and desist letters to persons using it other then those who bought their heater/systems. So heat treatment is the new generic term which provides bed bug remediation through a thermal process. So these terms when used correctly are similar in approach. Heating an interior environment to a temperature higher then one in which bed bugs can survive. The temperatures are usually between 130 - 140F and are held there for several hours to afford penetration. Some firms use propane some electric as the source for heat. There are differences of opinion in regard to direct or convection heat with convection being my choice but read elsewhere for an extended discussion. Unfortunatley some "creative" persons try to throw steaming in as a heat treatment. Which I suppose it is by some definition but really should be termed steam or dry vapor steam, which is BTW an excellent tool as well. As far as pricing there are many factors which effect it, especially in a place like NYC where propane is limited and most treatments are done by heaters and fans powered from generators towed to the job location. At that point cables need to be run to the apartment so distance is a factor. Type of construction, lay out of rooms, height of ceilings and other factors are at play which all effect price. Hope this adds some insight.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 27 2012 8:47:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Winston!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45