Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Convinced I have bed bugs but after 13 months cannot find one - please help

(32 posts)
  1. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2016 13:23:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok it's been 13 months since I bought a wardrobe that I think could have been the source of my problems. Ever since I have been getting what I am going to refer to as "bite" like skin reactions. This has happened throughout the year every 3-5-10 days. I have not managed to go beyond 10. They can be firm pinkish bumps on my stomach, angry looking bumps on my neck, pinprick bite marks on my hands and forearms and some on face. Some on hands are little red blotch flat, like a red felt pen. Forearms are pinprick bites often ones or twos apart from stomach and neck. Have pictures I can post if anyone is interested. And I know you cannot tell from these alone!! I notice them in mornings when I wake, usually stomach ones and in early evening when on sofa (hands and neck etc), but because of the delay these can have who knows when I was bitten? It's all so random with these damn bugs. Mostly do not itch.

I'm concerned that they are here but I'm just not finding them and I have just read that another person (buggyfromjoshuatree) had put that they did not find their infestation for 9 months either, by which time there were loads and loads and couldn't believe it was so bad and had spread to every room.

My house is very old with old wooden floorboards, carpet, fireplaces, old sash windows, lots of gaps and holes everywhere, in fact hundreds of places for them to hide with ease! I'm worried they are inside walls and my floorboards could be crawling with them!

I have 4 bedrooms. One used daily, 3 bedrooms used very occasionally for friends and family, office used daily most of day and front room daily. I'm assuming they will be found in these main areas (bedroom, office and front room) which are occupied. Would they be in other rooms if they are not used?

I have had climb ups on the main bed for pretty much the whole time and apart from the first month when I didn't really know what I was looking for I'm certain have been bug free (apart from booklice). I have dusted each room with DE along carpet edges and door frames and cracks I can find and apart from that and being vigilant have not found any. I have had marks looked at on here but nothing confirming them. Because of where I live we get lots of flies in house so lots of fly poo on things isn't helping.

I just need to know how I can lure these out and find my evidence. What's on the market? Can I make anything myself? I'm assuming they are lurking in sofa? Something is going on and I just need to know now 100% wether I have them or not. It's consumed my whole life for a year and I'm on the verge of losing my mind and husband if I cannot find what is causing my issues. There arnt many things in the UK that can bite all year round!

Can someone please advise on the way forward for me to eliminate these or how to get the evidence I need to get treated. Many Thanks. Please comment people.

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2016 13:51:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Get a K9 inspection, make sure they are certified and do visual confirmation.

3. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2016 14:06:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I am no expert but if these bite like things do not itch they are unlikely to be bedbugs.
    Also as these 'bites' are only appearing every 3-5-10 days and it has been 13 months, the numbers would have increased and you would have seen them unless the DE has been so effective to limit the numbers.

4. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2016 14:55:20
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 1 hour ago  » 
    Get a K9 inspection, make sure they are certified and do visual confirmation.

Unfortunately there are no companies that offer that where I am

5. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2016 15:00:09
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 49 minutes ago  » 
    Hi. I am no expert but if these bite like things do not itch they are unlikely to be bedbugs.
    Also as these 'bites' are only appearing every 3-5-10 days and it has been 13 months, the numbers would have increased and you would have seen them unless the DE has been so effective to limit the numbers.

Hi I may feel an initial itch, but only lasting a min or so. Ones on neck seem to be more irritated. Was wondering if the DE has dampened down the Numbers sufficiently. Also, was wondering my husband never has anythjng and therefore could be a non reactor? They could be eating him alive, also could I have more bites in other places that I don't notice, desensitised to them? I'm sure I have read plenty of times that they are not as itchy as people think? Thanks for reply

6. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2016 15:21:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Mine itch like nothing else I've ever felt. Reactions vary from one person to another but a strong itch is common.

7. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2016 15:53:57
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Mine itch like nothing else I've ever felt. Reactions vary from one person to another but a strong itch is common.

Yeah i read a post a while back where people were asked a set of questions describing their bites and everyone's were different! It's so difficult. When I look at pictures on the internet I hope that mine will look like some other skin issue. Then I see a pic and think, bingo, that's what mine look like and then I see the title - bedbugs!! Damn it!!

8. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 21 2016 8:54:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Can anyone advise on what to do please? Thanks very much

9. basementdweller

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 21 2016 9:21:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I went from a clean spotless room to full blown infestation with 40+ visible bugs and enough fecal matter to make an OCD clean freak puke on the spot after lifting a bed skirt in just 2 and half months. My home was built in the 1940s and has just as many cracks and crevices as any other older home.

13 months and zero visible signs means it's time to move on.

10. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 21 2016 11:26:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree. Time to move on. If you cannot then you should probably see a therapist to help you find a way past this anxiety. Others on this website have had to do the same

11. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 21 2016 12:12:17
    #

Login to Send PM

basementdweller - 2 hours ago  » 
    I went from a clean spotless room to full blown infestation with 40+ visible bugs and enough fecal matter to make an OCD clean freak puke on the spot after lifting a bed skirt in just 2 and half months. My home was built in the 1940s and has just as many cracks and crevices as any other older home.
    13 months and zero visible signs means it's time to move on.

Thanks for replying and sorry to hear that u have had to deal with them for real. My worry is that because I have climbups perhaps they have moved to other rooms and the sofa in particular where it is hard to see the evidence. Shouldn't really find much evidence in bed if I'm using climbups surely. I have read on here many times that people
    Have had infestations and could not find any real evidence until they actually found a live bug! Hence my paranoia. I have a couple of pics of some spots that I found but put down to fly poo that I will post up that I haven't before as I was trying to rationalise things and tell
    Myself I'm being stupid. Ill see what is said about them and then perhaps re assess the situation again. I suppose I just want to do everything I can to put my mind at rest and say right that's it. No bugs, no problem. Can I ask, have you seen eggs yourself? I wasn't sure if I found one on a coat before. I dismissed it as being a bedbug one as all I have read describes them as being about 1mm in size and hard to see. What I found was about 2-2.5mm but looked identical to the pics. I was out walking too and it dropped from my hand so didn't have evidence ?. I'm hoping others can suggest what else could be biting. This is not normal, certainly not for me and not something I am imagining or that I have ever had before. So is there anything out there that can be used to lure/catch these , that when remain free from bugs can give people the peace of mind needed to move on and say hey I've used all these and not found anything! I need to have friends and family back here staying!!

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 22 2016 0:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for replying and sorry to hear that u have had to deal with them for real. My worry is that because I have climbups perhaps they have moved to other rooms and the sofa in particular where it is hard to see the evidence. Shouldn't really find much evidence in bed if I'm using climbups surely.

Bed bugs typically harbor on or near the bed. If on the bed, Climbups would not make them leave it. Indeed, if they tried to leave, surely they'd get caught in the Climbups.

If you are not confident with your inspection skills, hire a human to do a close inspection. It is unlikely to be bed bugs given what you say, but it sounds like you need to have this confirmed in order to move on. It may be possible for you to not find evidence for a while, but an experienced pro should have no trouble.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 24 2016 9:27:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 2 days ago  » 

Thanks for replying and sorry to hear that u have had to deal with them for real. My worry is that because I have climbups perhaps they have moved to other rooms and the sofa in particular where it is hard to see the evidence. Shouldn't really find much evidence in bed if I'm using climbups surely.

Bed bugs typically harbor on or near the bed. If on the bed, Climbups would not make them leave it. Indeed, if they tried to leave, surely they'd get caught in the Climbups.
    If you are not confident with your inspection skills, hire a human to do a close inspection. It is unlikely to be bed bugs given what you say, but it sounds like you need to have this confirmed in order to move on. It may be possible for you to not find evidence for a while, but an experienced pro should have no trouble.

Thanks for your reply. I have good eyesight and have spotted booklice easily enough and they have been as small as 1mm, likewise for some mites and a false scorpion, so I like to think I could find one if it ventured out from hiding or while I have been searching. After 13 months I thought the chances for this would be higher?! However, I appreciate that these too are small and hide more than booklice, hence my concern that they are in inaccessible places like the floorboards and walls!

As I mentioned I would like some advice (perhaps from a professional) who could suggest any form of trap or device etc that could help detect them easier or suggest what else could be biting all year round in the uk? I get the feeling David Cains monitors are more suited to early infestations? I'm not convinced our local pest control companies would find them. In the very beginning (1 month in) i had a well known pest control company lay sticky traps and checked them every week for 3.5-4 weeks and said this would find them in 12-72 hours and found nothing. Surely in an early infestation the chances of a bug climbing into one of these on a floor would be slim! Their inspection also consisted of a quick glance around and another company hadn't really seen climbups and dismissed them as not being any use as bed bugs can apparently jump!! Same person said when I told him I saw a bug running up the wall that they don't like to climb walls!! And they usually bite legs! So I don't really have faith in anyone else finding them.

I mean after 13 months would my whole house be crawling in them? I have used DE. Would they have spread to other rooms in the house even unoccupied? If it's not bedbugs then something is getting me, but what? Any help would be appreciated.

14. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 24 2016 17:51:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I mean after 13 months would my whole house be crawling in them?

Without a doubt.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 24 2016 22:17:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs don't jump.
    It's not true that they typically bite legs. That is true of fleas.
    Bed bugs can hide but I don't think all fecal traces would be hidden. Given your description of your skills, I'd think you'd find fecal stains. If bed bugs are biting for 13 months, there will be fecal stains.

16. BBNL

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 25 2016 12:22:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an expert.

My suggestions:
    -There's an expert on this site called David who's based in the UK. He sells monitors that would allow you to catch bugs if there are any, otherwise regular interceptors (with talcum powder) would probably catch some.
    -My city's health department suggested using double sided carpet tape on the legs of my bed to catch any.
    -If you're totally desperate, why not sleep uncovered one night and set up a video camera overnight?

As someone who seems to have been suffering from stress hives instead of bb bites, I would also suggest you look at the levels of stress you've been experiencing. You could possibly be in the same situation.

Good luck!

17. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2016 14:48:01
    #

Login to Send PM

BBNL - 2 days ago  » 
    Not an expert.
    My suggestions:
    -There's an expert on this site called David who's based in the UK. He sells monitors that would allow you to catch bugs if there are any, otherwise regular interceptors (with talcum powder) would probably catch some.
    -My city's health department suggested using double sided carpet tape on the legs of my bed to catch any.
    -If you're totally desperate, why not sleep uncovered one night and set up a video camera overnight?
    As someone who seems to have been suffering from stress hives instead of bb bites, I would also suggest you look at the levels of stress you've been experiencing. You could possibly be in the same situation.
    Good luck!

Thanks for replying. I was hoping David Cain may have read this and commented on my post above as I stated that I wasn't too sure that his device is suitable for an already established infestation, if that is what I have? Not sure why if they are in and around the bed nice and comfy why they would be enticed into that device? Also if I have climbups, surely they shouldn't be in the bed anyway? I was thinking of perhaps getting a mattress encasement and taking away the climbups and become the bait in the hope of drawing them out if they are there?! Any thoughts on that anyone?

18. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2016 14:56:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry about all this. If you want David Cain to answer I would suggest starting a new topic with his name.

19. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2016 15:06:18
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry about all this. If you want David Cain to answer I would suggest starting a new topic with his name.

Yes perhaps that's best, thanks

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2016 10:50:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Although I clearly have a vested interest I hope you can take comfort int he fact that I designed the product to deal with just the kind of situation you are facing. It is designed to detect bed bugs at the earliest possible stage where either home owner or hotel staff can deal with things.

They are designed to provide a more ideal home which when placed optimally they move into. In moving in they are induced to defecate on the detection skirt but also tend to use the device to lay any eggs. This makes it easier to remove them by simply replacing the monitor.

The field data shows us that a good indication of being all clear is no signs after 7 days and a 14 day all clear is pretty much all clear. This helps greatly in giving people peace of mind.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  21. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2016 15:56:10
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Although I clearly have a vested interest I hope you can take comfort int he fact that I designed the product to deal with just the kind of situation you are facing. It is designed to detect bed bugs at the earliest possible stage where either home owner or hotel staff can deal with things.
    They are designed to provide a more ideal home which when placed optimally they move into. In moving in they are induced to defecate on the detection skirt but also tend to use the device to lay any eggs. This makes it easier to remove them by simply replacing the monitor.
    The field data shows us that a good indication of being all clear is no signs after 7 days and a 14 day all clear is pretty much all clear. This helps greatly in giving people peace of mind.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Thanks for your reply David. I'm not sure if you read the whole post, but I did put 13 MONTHS lol. Im sure you did read that correct, but just want to make sure as you mention it's designed to detect bugs at the earliest stage and I obviously think mine have been here a while (possibly if I have them). Would your device still lure them out? It's also interesting that you have not put that I couldn't possibly have them for 13 months and not find one, which seems to be the general consensus.

I also mention the fact that I have climbups installed. I check these regularly and have found them to be clear. Does that mean they could have scarpered off elsewhere, having given up trying to get on the bed? Or is it more likely I don't have them? Are the climbups reliable in detecting an infestation. I presume your device will not work with climbups in situ? Should I get an encasement for my mattress and then take the climbups off? My bed may well have bedbugs in the mattress or bed frame for all I know as in the night the duvet could drag on the floor! However, I cannot find any obvious signs. I just need something or a way of knowing that it couldn't possibly be bedbugs causing my issues! Any further suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks again

22. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2016 6:00:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I had read it and seen the time line. I am not a fan of isolation devices for various reasons I have stated many times.

The image below shows the QC of a Passive Monitor in a very similar situation to what you have outlined. In this case it was an infestation and the bed bugs relocated from existing harbourages into the device. The population started to move within a few days:

Slide5 by David Cain, on Flickr

I am also not a fan of encasement's because their only benefit is stain avoidance and putting extra money in peoples pockets (not yours).

I cant stress this enough, detecting bed bugs can be simple if you stick to what works and to me that means install a Passive Monitor and check it. If its still clear after 7 days you are on the right path. Clear after 14 days and its an all clear and the symptoms are most likely because of something else.

David

23. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 29 2016 17:21:52
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 10 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    I had read it and seen the time line. I am not a fan of isolation devices for various reasons I have stated many times.
    The image below shows the QC of a Passive Monitor in a very similar situation to what you have outlined. In this case it was an infestation and the bed bugs relocated from existing harbourages into the device. The population started to move within a few days:
    Slide5 by David Cain, on Flickr
    I am also not a fan of encasement's because their only benefit is stain avoidance and putting extra money in peoples pockets (not yours).
    I cant stress this enough, detecting bed bugs can be simple if you stick to what works and to me that means install a Passive Monitor and check it. If its still clear after 7 days you are on the right path. Clear after 14 days and its an all clear and the symptoms are most likely because of something else.
    David

Thanks for your advice and guidance David. I put the climbups on the bed to stop bedbugs getting on to the bed and into the mattress. So if I'm to remove these in favour of your device, I was hoping the encasement would stop the bedbugs getting into the mattress which is less than a year old, when they come to get me! I know they may already be in it and so also thought an encasement would help to keep them there. Are u saying that these do not work in both those instances? I mean I don't even know if it's common for them to go inside the mattress instead of settling for a nice piece of wood to hide In? Still wondering why on earth they would bother to relocate.

I see that you have stated that on a slatted base bed to put it under the slats near head, however, this would be impossible to check. Would it work just as well on the headboard?

Thanks again

24. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 1 2016 13:56:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bed bugs rarely live inside a mattress unless its ripped or has significant holes. Sadly the initial way that these products were sold added confusion rather than clarity.

Yes you can install on the top of the slat, it makes no difference but without seeing the head board I cant comment on that as a placement.

As for why they will relocate, its simple a matter of some homes being more perfect than others. If you get the design right bed bugs will relocate as we have proven time after time.

Hope that answers,

David

25. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 1 2016 14:26:06
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    Bed bugs rarely live inside a mattress unless its ripped or has significant holes. Sadly the initial way that these products were sold added confusion rather than clarity.
    Yes you can install on the top of the slat, it makes no difference but without seeing the head board I cant comment on that as a placement.
    As for why they will relocate, its simple a matter of some homes being more perfect than others. If you get the design right bed bugs will relocate as we have proven time after time.
    Hope that answers,
    David

Thanks for replying David. My mattress has the button toggle things which when compressed by a body probably open up and also has the little air vent buttons on the side. Given how small bedbugs are I sure they could get in easily should they choose to. An encasement may give me more peace of mind unless it will render the monitor less effective?

Anyway I have ordered 2 of your monitors and I'm hoping they arrive quickly lol. I'm panicking about wether to put out my xmas decs! Perhaps I can send you some pics of my bed for best placement. Also when u say that they can go on the top of a slat, wouldn't they be flattened with the weight of the mattress and 2 bodies? I am also going to install one on my leather sofa seeing as I seem to notice the red spots (like a red felt tip pen mark) while I'm sat on that during the early evening. I keep looking at the seams, but fear they must be deep inside hiding, if they are there at all.

Thanks again for replying.

26. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 1 2016 15:05:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK time for a deep breath and re-calibration to thinking like a bed bug.

You have two choices, to temporarily slip through a space you will grow out of or move into the roomy Drumpf Toweresque home with literally a welcome mat. In fact the mat is so welcoming it makes you feel at home enough to stop and go to the toilet. This not only helps you to navigate back to the nice home but also it encourages any mates to do so as well.

Now the bit that gets all Scooby Doo is that the research that illustrated the aggregation effect of faecal material came out in about 2011 by Stephen Kell's at the University of Minnesota. Yet we filed the patent on our approach incorporating that fact in 2009. I am either the Nostradamus of the bed bug world or my extra years have given me insights that others are yet to fully appreciate.

I don't use or endorse encasements because all they do is prevent stains. If you already provide a "litter tray" / monitor that function is somewhat removed and we are back to my basis of the fact its an "add on sell" and something I wish to ethically distance myself from.

Now having read this far please do me a favor. The rest of the questions you have asked are ones that I have already linked resources to between my site and my FlickR feed. If you feel these images and information sheets don't cover your scenario then I am open to adding new information for the betterment of everyone.

I am teach people to fish and leave plenty of documentations out there to show exactly what I mean. This means most questions have at some stage or another been answered and many summarized into FAQs. After all I do have to fit these posts in around running a company and trying to have a life.

David

27. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 1 2016 15:39:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again David. As I say I have purchased your monitors. I just need to know if I have these or not and move on. Hoping these will provide the answers. Having researched absolutely everything I possibly can, read, re-read hundreds of websites and articles I'm at my wits end now being no further forward. So apologises if I seem to have monopolised your time lately, but it's gratefully appreciated by me and I'm sure everyone on here that you help. It really is extremely stressful and frustrating. If I had more faith in the local pest control I wouldn't be here as much. Don't suppose u can recommend any bedbug experts in Cornwall? Thanks again and will wait for your monitors.

28. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2016 12:47:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

I just wanted to contribute a bit and say that I have been fighting a bed bug problem for 15 months. And in all that time my Pest Control companies, There have been various, have only seen 2... during the 4th month and I have only ever seen 1 dead one in the bed at month 6 and a live female 3 weeks ago. So I would say that definately you can have them and not see them. Where we are now is that we have emptied the entire house. PCO number 4 is going to come in and they are pretty expensive, but are biologists and seem to be very honest about the difficulty of this problem. Ad¡s for bites, in our case, there are 3 people in the house and Im the only reactor. And Im a mild reactor. sometimes they itch, more often they don´t. I can get a lump but very rarely. Most often its a red mark with a white dot in the middle that disappears almost immediately. When you do come around to working with a PCO, follow protocols meticulously. Particularly with clothing. I think that´s where we´ve been going wrong. The part you have to play is as important if not more so than the PCO. If you think they´re coming in from a neighbour I know someone who has used Cypermetrin in the areas where he thinks they come in to make them avoid that area. So far it seems to have worked for him. Good luck!

29. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2016 14:17:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless2 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi there,
    I just wanted to contribute a bit and say that I have been fighting a bed bug problem for 15 months. And in all that time my Pest Control companies, There have been various, have only seen 2... during the 4th month and I have only ever seen 1 dead one in the bed at month 6 and a live female 3 weeks ago. So I would say that definately you can have them and not see them. Where we are now is that we have emptied the entire house. PCO number 4 is going to come in and they are pretty expensive, but are biologists and seem to be very honest about the difficulty of this problem. Ad¡s for bites, in our case, there are 3 people in the house and Im the only reactor. And Im a mild reactor. sometimes they itch, more often they don´t. I can get a lump but very rarely. Most often its a red mark with a white dot in the middle that disappears almost immediately. When you do come around to working with a PCO, follow protocols meticulously. Particularly with clothing. I think that´s where we´ve been going wrong. The part you have to play is as important if not more so than the PCO. If you think they´re coming in from a neighbour I know someone who has used Cypermetrin in the areas where he thinks they come in to make them avoid that area. So far it seems to have worked for him. Good luck!

Hi sleepless, thanks for replying and sharing your story. Sorry to read that it was bedbugs. Everything you have said is why I worry so much about this. Everyone else insists that there will be evidence galore in infestations this long! I am definitely getting skin reactions to something and the nature of them suggests bedbugs. Mine too vary in size, shape and location and generally only have a small itch for a min, which is usually how I find the bump, most of the time I'm unaware until I see a red mark.

I worry that I'm not finding the evidence because they are hiding in inaccessible locations like floorboards and walls! I have climbups on my bed and I haven't found anything in these. I'm about to install David Cains passive monitors and remove the climbups, howeve, this makes me feel sick that I'm going to encourage them to the bed and more so into the mattress. David Cain doesn't recommend using an encasement, however, i think it would make me feel better to stop them getting inside the mattress! Your story has slightly depressed me a little as I'm always trying to tell myself what everyone else is saying, that I can't possibly have them , however, now I'm thinking I'm gonna be right after all!! My husband isn't very helpful and insist he's not being bitten and is quite frankly fed up of hearing about it and doesn't want to listen to anything I have to say because of that! So annoying!! So desperate to put up my Xmas decs too, which could have possibly been stored with bedbugs anyway as this all started in October last year!

30. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2016 15:02:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Panicked - 23 hours ago  » 
    Don't suppose u can recommend any bedbug experts in Cornwall?

Sorry the consulting entomologist I knew in Bristol has retired.

While I appreciate you are seeking an immediate answer but that would only be possible with a visit. For various reasons that is not feasible, least of all because I don't travel that far unless a case is confirmed active and the best way to do that is to monitor as I have suggested.

Therefore the only advice I can offer is in not over focusing on bed bugs until you find signs. I have written resources in an article called schrodingers bed bug . This will help explain why therefore is a natural tendency to focused towards the unlikely and remote such as bed bugs under floor boards. However, the images already provided show that even in such cases as bed bugs being dispersed into remote locations we have encouraged them into the monitor quickly and efficiently.

Yes its a pity that more pest controllers don't understand and use the technology. I have always found it amusing that many know of it and who we are and get few choose to use it. That is until you start to understand how they are taught to do their jobs by those that sell them product and that's a murky pond.

You will know soon after install if there is an issue, if there was a better way I would have suggested it.

David

31. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2016 15:48:07
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 34 minutes ago  » 

Panicked - 23 hours ago  » 
    Don't suppose u can recommend any bedbug experts in Cornwall?

Sorry the consulting entomologist I knew in Bristol has retired.
    While I appreciate you are seeking an immediate answer but that would only be possible with a visit. For various reasons that is not feasible, least of all because I don't travel that far unless a case is confirmed active and the best way to do that is to monitor as I have suggested.
    Therefore the only advice I can offer is in not over focusing on bed bugs until you find signs. I have written resources in an article called schrodingers bed bug . This will help explain why therefore is a natural tendency to focused towards the unlikely and remote such as bed bugs under floor boards. However, the images already provided show that even in such cases as bed bugs being dispersed into remote locations we have encouraged them into the monitor quickly and efficiently.
    Yes its a pity that more pest controllers don't understand and use the technology. I have always found it amusing that many know of it and who we are and get few choose to use it. That is until you start to understand how they are taught to do their jobs by those that sell them product and that's a murky pond.
    You will know soon after install if there is an issue, if there was a better way I would have suggested it.
    David</blockquote

Thanks for your time and reply again David. Your monitor arrived and extremely quickly too so thanks for that. I have placed one on the underside of the sofa and one will go into the bed. Just wanted confirmation on placement on the bed as you have 2 different photos. One on your website shows a red mark on the underside of a slat and also on the side of the supporting slat, however, then leaflet that came with it and also the pdf on your website show to place it on top of the slat nearest the headboard and the mattress would go on top. Which would be the best position? Would be harder for me to check the underside on the slat.

Very encouraging to hear that that you have enticed them into your monitor from obscure places. Fingers crossed mine remain bug free. Thanks again and if you could let me know the optimal position on the bed i would appreciate it.

32. Panicked

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2016 3:40:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your time and reply again David. Your monitor arrived and extremely quickly too so thanks for that. I have placed one on the underside of the sofa and one will go into the bed. Just wanted confirmation on placement on the bed as you have 2 different photos. One on your website shows a red mark on the underside of a slat and also on the side of the supporting slat, however, then leaflet that came with it and also the pdf on your website show to place it on top of the slat nearest the headboard and the mattress would go on top. Which would be the best position? Would be harder for me to check the underside on the slat.

Very encouraging to hear that that you have enticed them into your monitor from obscure places. Fingers crossed mine remain bug free. Thanks again and if you could let me know the optimal position on the bed i would appreciate it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,643 posts in 50,005 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa