Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Contradictory PCO Opinions (even within same company)

(7 posts)
  1. WeltsAbound

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Nov 8 2018 17:07:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I'm in a funny situation with my landlord and the PCOs brought into my bed bug case--thought some second opinions from anyone experienced or professional could help.

The first PCO my landlord called about my BB situation found BBs in my unit and two others townhouses. He had a plan to treat all three and put up preventative chemical barriers in the units still unaffected.

One of my neighbors didn't feel like doing the prep involved, so called a second PCO for a second opinion. This PCO said they found NO evidence of BBs in any unit, including mine--except for the dead BB I had bagged myself. Because one unit is cheaper to treat than all units, my landlord accepted the cheaper opinion as fact. They treated only my unit with Apprehend and Cimexa and didn't treat any other units at all.

I have been getting bites again, and called the 2nd PCO to conduct another inspection. Lo and behold, the found a large harborage in my couch that was somehow missed the last time. Treated again with Crossfire and Cimexa today.

I'm having difficulty trusting that my neighbors don't also have BBs that could just re-enter my apartment, especially since the 2nd PCO missed my infestation before (and since I found 2 brand new suitcases in our communal dumpster right as this infestation began).

Yet my landlord will NOT agree to inspect the other units, and has gone so far as to bar me from talking to my neighbors about it.

So, I'm wondering: how likely is it that, as a middle unit, I'm the only apartment involved? Any success convincing skeeved out and resistant landlords to treat the entire building?

Thanks!

2. HelpBB

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Nov 8 2018 18:09:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I am curious did the PCO that treated your house with Aprehend did they treat the couch? I sure hope that your treatment today will kick those bugs @$$. I would wonder to about the other units. I would ask the landlord for the PCO you hired to check the other units or maybe talk to the other tenants?

3. PicketFences

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Nov 8 2018 18:17:27
    #

Login to Send PM

WeltsAbound, it is very likely the other units have them. I have had four bed bug infestations over 9 years and since our downstairs neighbor basically told us once (before they stopped talking about it truthfully) that they had self treated I am certain that our neighbors (who travel a lot) have a chronic constant issue. I would definitely talk to your landlord about the need for adjoining units to be properly inspected. Unfortunately there are people who don't react to bites or don't care or have mental health issues and don't address their bedbug infestation.

4. WeltsAbound

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Nov 8 2018 19:27:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Fully in agreement with both of you. I have tried to talk to my landlord several times, also mentioning that most people don't react to bites, that this is a structural issue that will persist even after I'm gone if she doesn't fully treat, etc. No luck. Banned from talking to the neighbors.

I'm feeling like moving is my best option here. I'll start scouring the website for tips on not transferring (as well as my local classifieds for my next place to go!)

Thank you both for your thoughts!

5. SalsaVince

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Nov 8 2018 19:27:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a frustrating situation. I doubt that it would do much good at this point though to push the issue with the landlord. At least he did his due diligence to contact a professional, although concerning they came to different conclusions. The only thing you can control right now is your own apartment and trying to get it free of bed bugs. That's great that they found that other harborage and treated it. Hopefully, that will give you some peace and quiet soon. As far as the other units, if they really do have bed bugs and want to let them get out of control before reporting them to the point that they make their way back into your unit, then you'll just have to contact the landlord again and hopefully, the PCO will be responsible enough to do another inspection of all units as is the protocol and would find the secret infestation next door. Or, they might really be clean. In any case, you can keep your place under control and monitor for them coming back if they do. That's the downside of renting. As long as the owner is doing what's required by law, you're at their mercy and their discretion. It's in their best interest to keep their property free of pests though and it will only cost them more by neglecting a problem.

Tell me a success story, please!
    Vince
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Nov 10 2018 15:14:18
    #

Login to Send PM

It depends on if your landlord is following the law or just doesn't want to spend money where it should be spent. Yes, without a doubt, neighbor(s) are infested as well.

"The first PCO my landlord called about my BB situation found BBs in my unit and two others townhouses. He had a plan to treat all three and put up preventative chemical barriers in the units still unaffected.
    One of my neighbors didn't feel like doing the prep involved, so called a second PCO for a second opinion. This PCO said they found NO evidence of BBs in any unit, including mine--except for the dead BB I had bagged myself. Because one unit is cheaper to treat than all units, my landlord accepted the cheaper opinion as fact. They treated only my unit with Apprehend and Cimexa and didn't treat any other units at all.
    I have been getting bites again, and called the 2nd PCO to conduct another inspection. Lo and behold, the found a large harborage in my couch that was somehow missed the last time. Treated again with Crossfire and Cimexa today."

--- the issue, too, is what type of inspection was performed to have missed the bed bugs the first time and why were they found the 2nd time? 2nd company didn't explain to landlord that inspections of surrounding units is warranted? Which state do you live in? And how can the landlord bar you from speaking with neighbors on this issue?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. WeltsAbound

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 11 2018 15:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I also have some serious questions about the 2nd company's first inspection, as well...

The problem is that, I'm assuming to save face, this PCO is insisting there was no issue with the last round of inspections where all signs of BBs were missed, and therefore refusing to talk to the landlord about searching them again directly.

They left me some cards to share with my neighbors myself, which prompted my landlord to inform me I was under no circumstances to "get everyone all riled up again."

Do I *have* to listen to this directive? No. But I do want to avoid us ending up on even worse terms. We're in PA.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,578 posts in 46,826 topics over 143 months by 20,660 of 21,557 members. Latest: Dread Bugs, gbbedbug, BuggedOUTinOH